Tow bar and cycle rack for a 1995 544 Hymer

BML

He is a couple of hours drive from you, but I recently used David Spreadbury of PWS in Poole (01202 746851) to fit a towbar to my Autosleeper Gatcombe. It was a quality product, powder coated for protection and fabricated and fitted over a 3 day period. I would have no hesitation in recommending his services.

After contacting a lot of usless peopel following advertisments that lead to nowhere I found someone from a recomendation to fit the two bar. I am now looking for someone to supply and fit a roof rack, top box, cycle rack and ladder to my 1995 Hymer 544 and so far its been mission impossible. When I have telephoned people who advertise such services in the magazines I found them very much wanting nad although the dealers are very willing to sell you an expensive camper they have no interest in offering the service that goes with them. The only place that I have found so far is Hymer in the North who ask over £2000,00 to supply and fit this equipment. Hymer near Swindon are booked up until next year. So does anyone have any ideas where I can find what I am looking for a reasonable driving distance from Oxford

Hi Not sure if these are near enough. but Peter Hambiltons at Presto, in Lancashire, are excellent for carrying work on Hymers. www.friendlyhippo.co.uk/hymerdirect/aboutus.html You could always e-mail or phone and get a price. Then decide whether the trip is worth it. Regards Herman

[QUOTE]Dave Newell - 2006-10-05 3:56 PM Just out of interest BML what is the MTPLM of your 'van and what does it weigh now? D.[/QUOTE] Maybe I'm misreading this situation but you seem to be ignoring the weight issues here. That is of course your choice but if you have this extra kit fitted and it takes you over your maximum allowable weight you will be treading a very dodgy path. First of all an overweight vehicle is a dangerous vehicle. The suspension and brakes have been designed to cope with a set weight of vehicle, exceeding that weight may mean that the suspension can't carry the weight and/or the brakes might not be as effective. Hanging the weight of a towbar and back box on the back of your 'van might well take it over the rear axle's weight limit (I have heard of one case where this situation actually bent the rear axle) which will cause all sorts of strange and dangerous handling characteristics. D

Archived