Taking a dog to Morocco

Maureen Lister

Be aware that rabies is endemic in the wild dogs of Morocco, I saw a couple of dead ones in the desert area, of course they could have died of old age!

Attitudes to dogs are sometimes not the same as you expect in this country.

H

Guest Had Enough

Morocco isn't in Europe so I'm not sure how having a European dog passport would carry any weight.

It's also a Muslim country and Muslims consider dogs to be unclean. And of course, as has been mentioned, rabies is a problem, so who can blame the Spaniards for not being to keen on allowing in dogs from Morocco?

My advice would be to stay away or leave the pooch in kennels.

Afternoon folks,

A few years ago we were in the vets in le boulou in France and the signage on the wall was about rabies which indicated that all the rabies that had entered France was from Africa so it is very important that the spanish take it it very seriously.

norm

hallii - 2015-01-06 11:19 AM

Be aware that rabies is endemic in the wild dogs of Morocco, I saw a couple of dead ones in the desert area, of course they could have died of old age!

Attitudes to dogs are sometimes not the same as you expect in this country.

H

Quite so. When we lived in Tripoli the locals dived for cover if there was a dog on the loose without a lead. Wild dogs used to roam the streets at nights in packs looking for food and the police went out with rifles to shoot them.

We went to Morocco a few years ago, we left our dog at Kennels inn Spain. They were run by an English couple, the place was very clean and pleasant. The dog was fine and did not smell of kennels when we picked him up, and that was not because they had bathed him as we were a day early.

The kennels are at Alhurin le grande. Nr Malaga

soarer - 2015-01-06 6:04 PM

if it were me i would not take the dog.

I haven't got one, just wondered if there were many about, or even any as it's a Muslim country.

Archived