D R Ls

jordano

could someone please give me a little help? i have bought a drl kit from China which is really good quality but there is one wire that is confusing me it is white and the diagram says it goes to the width lamp! does anyone know where and what this is google just says its a lamp?

Whilst on the topic of DRLs, can they be used instead of headlights in EU countries requiring headlights to be on at all times, anyone know?

Re CAN side lights, it should not affect the CANbus if the connection is only used as a signal to the control unit. The extra load will be very small and negligible.

Brambles - 2015-01-06 11:42 AM

Whilst on the topic of DRLs, can they be used instead of headlights in EU countries requiring headlights to be on at all times, anyone know?...

Best I can do is direct you to the Wikipedia entry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytime_running_lamp

and the AA’s touring tips country-by-country guide

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/countrybycountry.html

I’ve not looked through the Lights section of all the countries listed on the AA webpage, but some countries that have a ‘lights on at all times’ rule certainly allow either dipped-headlamps or DRLs to be used (eg Switzerland), while others (apparently) insist that dipped-headlamps must be used (eg. Norway).

The subject really does seem to polarise viewpoints. People either think they are the best thing since sliced bread and a major improvement to road safety, or think they are the work of the devil and have a negative effect on safety. Few seem to sit on the fence.

One thing's for sure; if vehicle manufacturers cannot implement them correctly so that they do not dazzle, do not mask indicators and turn off/dim when they should, then the DIY retro-fitting of Chinese Ebay specials in random positions and at random angles is hardly likely to be the way forward.

Steve928 - 2015-01-06 11:44 AM

jordano - 2015-01-05 11:36 PM

i have bought a drl kit from China which is really good quality

Has the manufacturer submitted them for testing and gained EU approval and applied the EU approval mark?

Who gives a Shix !! Why keep an EU 'mandarin' in a job ?

I have fitted a set of DRL's (same type advertised in MMM and fitted to Autosleeper PVC's)

My Ducato (2011/2012) used headlights as DRL's as standard, and i did'nt like them. I was able to program them OFF, so I did so. These are fitted low down, into the 'step' on the front of the X250.

They don't dazzle folk (like the headlights did) and I am happy with them,

It doesn't worry me one iota whether they have an EU sticker or not.

With a bit of luck any EU control over our laws will finish, not long after May 2015. Cannot come soon enough.

Ray

Rayjsj - 2015-01-06 3:29 PM

Has the manufacturer submitted them for testing and gained EU approval and applied the EU approval mark?

Evidently I do!

What's a Shix anyway?

You've never forgiven the EU for for lumbering you with a DPF have you? - although you told us all that you'd NEVER by a vehicle with a DPF and NEVER EVER buy another Fiat... but strangely now have both.

Steve928 - 2015-01-06 3:41 PM

Evidently I do!

Me too, it means it is unlikely to be dangerous.....like some e-bay LED GU10s for example

Steve928 - 2015-01-06 3:41 PM

Evidently I do!

What's a Shix anyway?

You've never forgiven the EU for for lumbering you with a DPF have you? - although you told us all that you'd NEVER by a vehicle with a DPF and NEVER EVER buy another Fiat... but strangely now have both.

a 'Shix' is slang for a non-jewish person,as decribed by a jew. (no,not really (lol) ) using the 'T' might be enough to get the whole thread pulled, we wouldn't want that would we ?

You are right of course, I DO hate the DPF and all the other useless extra weight that is under the Bonnet, contributing NOTHING to reliability or Performance. Actually my last Fiat (pre X250) was quite reliable, more reliable (no Engine Checks for a start) than this one. But what real choice do we have ? We buy our vans on Layout and Useability for US, that is me, my wife who has mobility problems, and our two Labradors. I would have loved a Savannah on a Mercedes or a Renault master base, But they don't make them. So, we have what we have. all of Motorhoming is a Compromise surely ? Ray

Add on DRLs, bling and nothing but bling.................... for the same sort of folk who in another age would have had La Cucaracha air horns.............for safety reasons of course, ;-)

Joe90 - 2015-01-06 5:11 PM

Add on DRLs, bling and nothing but bling.................... for the same sort of folk who in another age would have had La Cucaracha air horns.............for safety reasons of course, ;-)

I loved my La Cucaracha horn and my wolf whistle on my 3litre Granada in the seventies.

John.

12V MUSICAL CAR AIR HORNS - RED - FOR CAR/BOAT/VAN/TRUCK DIXIE/LA CUCARACHA Ebay

3litre Granada, now your talking, Sweeney territory, I had a job at MIRA test driving them, couldn't afford one for some years later though on their wages, by which time it was one about 6 years old and the bottoms of the doors I discovered were full of newspaper and P38 . :-(

This is, in fact, a fair question, not so much because EU approval guarantees marvellous quality but it should mean there’s a sporting chance that a DRL kit will work properly and the result will be legally compliant.

As it’s well known that some DRL kits designed for retro-fitting to cars proved to be unsuitable for motorhomes, with the DRLs coming on when the motorhome on-board battery-charger was running, it would also make sense to try to confirm that a retrofit kit is ‘motorhome friendly’.

I’m not advocating that the DRL kit advertised here should be purchased

http://www.ledcom.co.uk/day_running_lights_kit_led_drl_for_x250_type_motorhomes

but the information provided mentions the kit’s compatibility with solar and EHU charging and with CANbus vehicle electrical systems, and confirms that the DRLs dim when the vehicle’s lights are turned on. The fitting instructions seem to be comprehensive and clear too.

Derek Uzzell - 2015-01-07 9:23 AM

and confirms that the DRLs dim when the vehicle’s lights are turned on. The fitting instructions seem to be comprehensive and clear too.

This raises another point to which I do not know the answer............

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Day-Running-Lights-Kit-DRL-Ford-Transit-Mk7-Van-and-Motorhome-Sept-2006-on-/251421646325?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

The above link shows aftermarket DRL available for the MK7 Ford Transit which fit very neatly in the front fog-light positions. The DRL come with the facility to detect when the side / head lights are switched on and then they reduce in brilliance. I think that a better arrangement would be for the DRL to switch off when the side / head lamps come on, but the kits I have seen do not do this.

The potential problem here seems to be that as the DRL are in the fog-light position, the Police may well see them as being fog-lights when they are switched on and issue the driver with a (I think) £20 fixed fine.

Has anyone any first hand experience of this problem?

spospe - 2015-01-07 11:11 AM

...The potential problem here seems to be that as the DRL are in the fog-light position, the Police may well see them as being fog-lights when they are switched on and issue the driver with a (I think) £20 fixed fine.

Strictly speaking, there’s no such thing as the “fog-light position”.

There are UK regulations relating to the position on a vehicle where fog-lights are allowed to be fitted and (presumably) where Ford fit fog-lights on a Transit Mk 7’s bumper complies with those regulations.

There are also UK regulations relating to the position on a vehicle where DRLs can be fitted, and if there is an overlap between those rules and the fog-light rules so that either fog-lights or DRLs can legally be fitted in the bumper in the recesses Ford has provided for fog-lights, that will be OK.

I don’t see this as being a problem police-wise as a casual inspection of a DRL - inactive, dimmed or at maximum output - should reveal that it’s not a fog-light.

Archived