radio with built in sat nav

lynneroy

Wondered if anyone could offer recommendations, we have purchased, a new to us Coachbuilt on a peugeot Boxer 2014 and are really interested in replacing radio for a touch screen with built in Sat Nav, we think we may have to purchase one with DAB radio in case the masts are turned off in the next few years, but are unsure. They are quite an expensive item and would like to get this purchase right if anyone has any advice we would be grateful.

Also, on another note, on our first trip out we were shocked how dirty we got, our panel van conversion was always clean, and I was quite distraught, should we fit mudflaps or do they do too much damage? I looked at the other coachbuilts on the campsite we arrived at, and not many had them fitted, I dread to think what it would look like after a long trip away. Any advice welcome please.

Guest Had Enough
lynneroy - 2015-01-06 6:21 PM

Wondered if anyone could offer recommendations, we have purchased, a new to us Coachbuilt on a peugeot Boxer 2014 and are really interested in replacing radio for a touch screen with built in Sat Nav, we think we may have to purchase one with DAB radio in case the masts are turned off in the next few years, but are unsure. They are quite an expensive item and would like to get this purchase right if anyone has any advice we would be grateful.

Also, on another note, on our first trip out we were shocked how dirty we got, our panel van conversion was always clean, and I was quite distraught, should we fit mudflaps or do they do too much damage? I looked at the other coachbuilts on the campsite we arrived at, and not many had them fitted, I dread to think what it would look like after a long trip away. Any advice welcome please.

I would think twice about a radio with sat-nav built-in. My car and my motorhome have these and the cost of map upgrades is horrendous. It's also quite complicated to install the upgrades.

In the motorhome I use my wife's stand-alone Garmin sat-nav, which was £129 with free upgrades and full European mapping and I ignore the built-in one. Upgrading is easy as you can just plug it into a computer and download them on a usb cable.

When we bought my wife's car we deliberately opted out of built-in sat-nav and went for a reversing camera instead. Unfortunately I didn't have a choice with my car or the motorhome and had to have the sat-nav.

I have a Clarion NX502e with DAB adaptor, brilliant bit kit, has now been superseded but still available at a good price.

Has all the usual inputs, USB/ipod, aux, camera etc., Parrot bluetooth that actually works well. DAB reception good with just the passive aerial that was supplied.

For satnav it, uses IG08 far better than Garmin or any other satnav I have used. Updates are £75 & easy to do, realistically how often are you likely to update possibly every 3 or 4 year so probably once during ownership of the Motorhome.

Clarion NX502e

I've used both free-standing and integrated SatNavs, and I much prefer the integrated version I have on my current 'van.

Much like Lenny's, it runs IGO Primo (his will be Primo, not the earlier IGO8) software, and the maps are around the price he quotes (and easily upgradeable over the web).

It is very good software, and also versatile (and once you've sussed it, good for installing large numbers of POIs).

Mine is an all-in one unit that I use for Radio, CD, (USB) Mp3 playback, reversing camera, Bluetooth, etc. and find this much more convenient and tidy than having a separate navigation unit. Most IGO-based units also offer live traffic and re-routing through the medium of TMC.

The big advantage for me, however, is that it is easier to rely on the spoken instructions on a unit that plays them through the vehicle speakers, and mutes anything else that is playing at the same time. (though having something solidly installed in the dash also makes it easier to operate on the move).

I would suggest that an IGO Primo unit will probably be your best bet, and the software is provided to (and used by) a number of quality manufacturers, such as Clarion, Alpine, Blaupunkt, etc. (though not in all sets). One manufacturer or another's unit can usually be picked up at a severely reduced price (often as they go end-of-line), and if you follow the correct instructions, you can ensure you get the latest maps (one-off for free) once you have installed the unit.

Alpine and Clarion (and others) sell DAB add-on units operable from the main screen.

A quick check of the units which are based on IGO Primo can be made by checking model numbers on www.naviextras.com.

For many years I have been a Garmin devotee and thought they were the bees knees but they like TT have cheapened their products and after buying (and sending back) their "Camper" version I went right off them. I looked at TT and was not impressed with the latest generation. So i bought a real cheapy with Igo software built in and was favourably impressed.

I decided it was time to put in something more permanent as having an "A" class 'van the windscreen is too far away for something on a suction cup and mounting on a ventilator outlet wasn't exactly what I wanted so I 1st checked out a radio with "Sygic" software selling for around the £150 mark but it would only play the radio when in "Navi" mode and not from any of the other sources and would not link to any older bluetooth equipment which ruled out using it with my old Archos.

I have now installed one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181584084692?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT . It is brilliant! Sound quality - superb! Connectivity - Amazing! Sat Nav with I-Go Primo - Spot on! Quality of equipment (even down to the remote control) - Exceptional.

Is there a down side - Yes. Although the instructions for the radio are in both English and German - The instructions for the DAB add on are only available in German. As a German speaker it is not a problem for me and once you have used it once should be no problem.

OK it is not a cheap bit of kit but neither is the top of the range Garmin and at least this is a full multi media centre whereas the Garmin "Camper" I sent back wouldn't even do the job it was supposedly designed for.

lynneroy - 2015-01-06 6:21 PM

...Also, on another note, on our first trip out we were shocked how dirty we got, our panel van conversion was always clean, and I was quite distraught, should we fit mudflaps or do they do too much damage? I looked at the other coachbuilts on the campsite we arrived at, and not many had them fitted, I dread to think what it would look like after a long trip away. Any advice welcome please.

This is an earlier mudflaps-related forum discussion:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/mud-flaps/31289/

It would be easiest to fit front mudflaps designed specifically for your Peugeot Boxer (or for an equivalent-age Fiat Ducato) and it needs to be said that asking-prices vary.

How easy it will be to fit rear mudflaps to a coachbuilt motorhome will depend on the motorhome’s make and model. There’s an article on Page 177 of the current (February 2015) issue of MMM magazine that describes how to DIY the task.

Mudflaps should provide the motorhome’s underside and lower bodywork with some protection from road debris (eg. gravel) thrown up from the vehicle’s wheels, but won’t magically keep the motorhome clean.

I have a new (white) Rapido coachbuilt motorhome on order and this will be delivered without mudflaps. I don’t care about the motorhome becoming dirty, but I’ll shall be fitting mudflaps to it as I believe the bodywork protection they will offer is worthwhile.

(Not sure what you mean by “...do they do much damage?” The fitting process should not harm the motorhome, but it is possible to catch mudflaps on obstructions like high kerbs and, in extreme cases, this might cause damage to the vehicle. If that possibility might give you nightmares, perhaps you should avoid having mudflaps.)

Thanks Derek, I think we will fit them. I hope you haven't got too long to wait for your Rapido, very nice van I bet you are excited, we just purchased the Majestic 125, had to add a few finishing touches but pleased with it now,

Many thanks for the link.

Lynne :-)

18 Months ago, I raised a query on a forum as to whether to for an integrated radio/satnav. The overwhelming advice was to keep them separate so each can be changed/updated when you felt like it. A portable satnav is useful in other vehicles. I found the cost of a separate sat nav and radio was less than a combined unit although I may not have been comparing apples and apples. I suggest you do some comparative checks.

I have mudflats on my current van fitted as standard. They do reduce spray, and dirt getting on and under the van. However, unless they were very easy to fit, I'm not convinced I would bother adding them.

When I got the new van I ummed & arrred for ages about a combined unit has I had just brought a new Garmin a couple of months before, went for the combined unit.

Best decision I ever made wife muttered about the cost even she agrees now. Looks so much better, no separate satnav, no separate camera monitor and no leads trailing all over the dash & don't have to keep unplugging things & hiding them when you stop.

The IGO8 Primo satnav in my unit is the best I've ever used knocks spots of a Garmin, nice 6" screen for the reversing camera, radio reception excellent, sound quality good & Parrot blue tooth works very well.

Only criticism is Bluetooth won't talk to wife's iPod but that is typical of Apple products, advantage is my iPod is left plugged and I get my music.

Hi I've a clarion nx502e (Christmas present to myself) not yet fitted but I got it like Lenny said so the dash looks good. I may have to get some more glasses to read the manual or go to West Sussex for a training course!!

Got for my new van Adria Twin 640 slx

Paul

lennyhb - 2015-01-10 9:22 PM

Only criticism is Bluetooth won't talk to wife's iPod but that is typical of Apple products, advantage is my iPod is left plugged and I get my music.

...just a thought, but are you on the latest device software. There have been a number of updates in the life of this unit, some of them to improve phone compatibility.

(downloadable from Clarion and applied via a microSD card).

Robinhood - 2015-01-11 10:47 PM

lennyhb - 2015-01-10 9:22 PM

...just a thought, but are you on the latest device software. There have been a number of updates in the life of this unit, some of them to improve phone compatibility.

(downloadable from Clarion and applied via a microSD card).

Yep all upto date. Common problem with Apple device can't get ipad to talk to Samsung phones or my netbook.

AFAIK, officially licensed IGO and IGO Primo software can only be legally updated by reference to the naviextras.com site, where map updates (other than the first one offered under the "latest map guarantee") are generally chargeable.

There are a lot of pirated (cracked) version of IGO and Primo in circulation, (from various "dodgy" GPS forums, and (I understand) notably on certain devices bought via eBay) and it is possible to get unlicensed (cracked) version of the maps from elsewhere to run on these. but they are not sanctioned by NNG Software (the original suppliers).

Archived