Noise from 12 fridge

Mackyjane

I have just has a new engine battery fitted to my Bessacarr E710. Now when I put the fridge on 12v for travelling, as soon as the engine is started, there is a loud whining noise coming from the fridge. This noise stops if I turn the fridge to its lowest (warmest) setting. Has anyone come across this before?

Can you check the fuse which is under the bonnet. It should be under a large plastic cover " in the middle" of the engine bay. There is a four way fuse bloick with three fuse and two relays and you need to ensure they are making a good connection. If you are going to change a fuse ensure you get a good quality unit and not a Poundland special. If there is a poor connection you get the relays in the fridges chattering/buzzing so worth a look.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi. Sorry didn't reply - we're in Spain and haven't had wifi for ages. I had problems with this fuse last summer as it blew a couple of times. I have checked the fuse and it's fine. Now the 12v in the fridge doesn't work at all, nor does the step retract automatically when the engine is started. I guess I'll have to find an auto-electrician here or put up with it until we get home! Thanks for your advice.

We had same problem, as soon as we put on 12v it sounded like a hive of bees with a continuous buzzing.

Our was due to a relay which had gotten wet at sometime and was about to burn out. We had to look around to find the problem a bit as this relay was in the back of the cupboard next to the fridge,

It took less than 5 minutes to sort when we found out where the problem was. If yours also sounds like bees buzzing think it could possibly be the same and a fairly easy fix.

Great a result and thanks for the feedback.

You will find a dirty/slack connection somewhere along the line. When only just on sufficient current passes to give you the impression all is OK. When you turn down the fridge more current is required and this fault causes a volts drop and the relays chatter like a buzzer.

Hope you enjoyed Spain where I will be in 6 weeks time.

Archived