Foriegn Vets

Spadge

Last year on our return from Spain we booked into a French vets for the usual check before we got to Dover. Check our Toby over, gave him worming tablets as they do, stamped & signed the passport. €53

No problem, no complaints it has to be done. However this years trip back from Spain was going to be a straight run home so we booked into a well recommended local vets (Tabaira Clinica Vets) in Moraira, same routine but the Spanish vet asked if we had our own worming tablets which we hadn't. He supplied same as required. The bill ? €9 for the consultation & €20 for the tablets, job done. Big difference that, especially when we are down there 3 or more times a year.

This shows two things: The price difference between France & Spain, and the apparent fact that generally but not always, the further from the channel ports the lower the cost.

There does appear to be an illegal pricing cartel amongst many vets in northern France and you can now drive a long way during the "waiting time" once you've seen a vet.

Who would wish to stay any longer than necessary in or around Calais?

flyboyprowler - 2015-01-08 2:03 PM

We just had our "exit" check from our Spanish vet, and including a rabies jab, as he is a Spanish dog, the bill was €28.00, and the passport post dated as well. (lol)

If the postdating is to "help" you avoid the detail in the entry rules into the UK it can and should get you into very serious trouble. I hope it isn't.

The cheapest I've found is at Berncastel Kues on the Moselle in Germany. We pay the princely sum of €8 including worming tablet. We paid €28 last time in Benicassim Spain.

starvin marvin - 2015-01-08 4:51 PM

We just had our "exit" check from our Spanish vet, and including a rabies jab, as he is a Spanish dog, the bill was €28.00, and the passport post dated as well. (lol)

If the postdating is to "help" you avoid the detail in the entry rules into the UK it can and should get you into very serious trouble. I hope it isn't.

So sayeth the forum policeman. It wasn't clever to post the fact, but not nice of you to say what you did.

peter - 2015-01-08 6:20 PM

starvin marvin - 2015-01-08 4:51 PM

So sayeth the forum policeman. It wasn't clever to post the fact, but not nice of you to say what you did.

The rules are there to help prevent the entry of rabies into the UK. Simples.

starvin marvin - 2015-01-08 5:51 PM

As we understand it, the check has to be within 5 days of entering the UK, and this fits in with our ferry from Santander.

Archived