off grid charging

gingerwain

Hi everyone...all new to this; going to move onto my small self-nearly-finished-converted 18-seater 'cube' transit bus shortly!

I plan a 110Ah leisure Banner battery and will be living off-grid. I plan 2 solar panels on the roof (120W each) and want to use the plentiful wind energy provided by the jet stream with a Rutland 504e turbine. Am I overdoing it, based on the fact I will need internet access via a laptop (running through a 65W adapter so indicating its max power usage I assume?) which will be used most if not every day for 2-4 hours? Heating is via a Webasto diesel-powered jobbie, and lighting off the starter batteries already wired up as its a bus. I don't plan to use these all the time as I will have battery powered lamps for evening use and candles etc. So apart from the laptop there will be a battery charger attached to the leisure battery running most of the time ( charging 'c' cell and 'd' cell batteries) and little else - no fridge, microwave, TV etc.

The leisure battery will be connected via split relay to the 2 starter batteries which total 140Ah. I would rather be over the top than under it as I will be spending long periods away from mains hook ups, and want to be in a position to be totally independent of it unless desperate! The bus may be parked up for 4 days or so at a time (festivals) while I trade - no usage of laptop during the day though the battery charger may be working (400-450mA; 0.63VA (?))

So am I on the right track?

Is the Rutland 504e easily attachable/detachable? Doesn't seem to mention this on the website...

Can't wait to get sold up and out there!

gingerwain - 2015-01-08 10:33 PM

Hi everyone...all new to this; going to move onto my small self-nearly-finished-converted 18-seater 'cube' transit bus shortly!

I plan a 110Ah leisure Banner battery and will be living off-grid. I plan 2 solar panels on the roof (120W each) and want to use the plentiful wind energy provided by the jet stream with a Rutland 504e turbine. Am I overdoing it, based on the fact I will need internet access via a laptop (running through a 65W adapter so indicating its max power usage I assume?) which will be used most if not every day for 2-4 hours? Heating is via a Webasto diesel-powered jobbie, and lighting off the starter batteries already wired up as its a bus. I don't plan to use these all the time as I will have battery powered lamps for evening use and candles etc. So apart from the laptop there will be a battery charger attached to the leisure battery running most of the time ( charging 'c' cell and 'd' cell batteries) and little else - no fridge, microwave, TV etc.

The leisure battery will be connected via split relay to the 2 starter batteries which total 140Ah. I would rather be over the top than under it as I will be spending long periods away from mains hook ups, and want to be in a position to be totally independent of it unless desperate! The bus may be parked up for 4 days or so at a time (festivals) while I trade - no usage of laptop during the day though the battery charger may be working (400-450mA; 0.63VA (?))

So am I on the right track?

Is the Rutland 504e easily attachable/detachable? Doesn't seem to mention this on the website...

Can't wait to get sold up and out there!

Welcome to the forum.

You would be better off with 2 Leisure batteries rather than one and your solar panels are good. A rough guide is to match the amp hour of the batteries to the wattage of the panel(s).

As for the Rutland wind turbine, I have one. Their output is nowhere near the 80 watt rating and you need to get them as high as possible. In my last van I had acres of storage and lots of payload, so I could carry it, the 4 section mast, guy ropes, heavy pegs, 4 lb hammer etc. To be honest, I would not bother. The best it gave me was a couple of amps charge rate. When it gave more, I was constantly worried that the gale would wreck it.

With 2 Leisure batteries you will be fine, even in the UK winter if you are economical with your power usage. A webasto heater will use power as they are heavy on power on start up but better when running.

If you are going to be parked up for lengthy periods, you would be better off wintering in Spain or Portugal, unless you can get a hookup.

I would forget the wind turbine and buy a generator but my Rutland 504 and accessories (complete with recommended regulator) is for sale if you are still interested.

Hi Ginger and welcome!

I think for your usage you should have more than enough with the 2 solar panels.

For the price of the Rutland it doesn't deliver nearly enough bang for the bucks. If you consider that the forecast for the w/end where I live is described as "very windy" with a wind speed of 27mph (23.4 knots) you will get less than 3 amp charging. Most of the time the wind speed is not sufficient to turn the blades fast enough to give you usable charging.

We stay off grid most of the time and use a lot of power with lighting, satellite system, 2 Laptops and various tablets to charge. We have 2 140w solar panels and in the summer we could start selling the extra capacity from mid morning onwards. - In the winter we go to Portugal and have stayed for as long as 5 weeks in one spot (off grid) and not had to use our genny even when we haven't seen any sunshine. I would be more inclined (space permitting) to get an extra (say) 60 watt solar panel on a longish lead which can be propped up (or make a stand for as I did) and pointed at the sun.

Good luck with it.

Oops crossed with Jim's reply but he is saying the same.

Once you have installed the leisure batteries and for you use you really need two giving around 200A/H's, I would re-wire the diesel & lights to the leisure batteries. Last thing you want after a couple of nights camping is a flat starter battery & can't start the engine.

Agree with others about the wind generator I looked into they a few years ago to get any usable out need a force 8 gale.

With your use an 200A/H of batteries should easily cope with 4 nights off grid, 240 W of solar will probably only give you 6-8 A/H charge a day in the depths of winter rest of the year you will have more than enough solar capacity.

thanks for that - yes, decided to bin the windy idea and invest in the second battery. I like the light transfer idea too, although they are so pathetic that the two starter batteries should handle them - but then why risk it as you say!

Do these buses normally carry 2 batteries...I wonder now whether the smaller 60Ah might be dedicated to ancillary circuits such as lights, and the hydraulic ramp that I ripped off it once bought. I will get my mechanic buddy to check that one out.

Archived