dongles

gingerwain

I have a giffgaff bundle and intend to use a dongle with my laptop for internet access while away on tours/festivals etc. I believe they use the O2 network...can anyone confirm if this gives a good 3G connection countrywide (not Europe). Is there a particularly good reliable dongle out there? I am looking at the Solwise 3G-M1 Router Dongle which seems to fit the bill?

If you have an unlocked phone you can do the same and create a hotspot to connect your tablet etc. This allows phone to continue to be used. As I have a spare phone I did this when in Spain and connected to Lebara and found it very economical. I cannot give cost but you can check on internet. At that time they were doing a promotion which doubled up the data and when this expired you do not top up but take out another offer to take advantage of promotion.

Enjoy

I think 4G is a bit patchy and to be honest not looking for speed, the coverage is more important as I will be in remote fields at times

Coupling up with my phone would be excellent particularly as my phone is just a phone! i.e.no internet - I will ask the giffgaff community about that - thanks

Hi

For the past couple of years I have been using the Infinity Wireless IW-007 dongle which uses a data only sim from any network. I have been able to connect to the net in Spain, Germany, Italy, Ireland and the UK with no problem whatsoever. From memory it cost about £14 from Amazon. Hope to use it in Portugal next month when I find out the local network providers. I thoroughly recommend it

Bob

Hello I use HUAWEI mobile wifi E5332 and pay as you go EE sim card and received a signal in most parts of the UK EE have various deals from £2 for one day , £4 for 3 days and longer deals. Also used in Spain It is unlocked so can use other provider sims

giffgaff do a 5GB bundle for £15 which is around the same price as Virgin, O2 etc. do for 3GB . My phone is a £15 Amazon special i.e. just a simple phone (perfect...yeah I'm an oldie who twitches every time he hears the word 'app')...so I will get a second bundle from giffgaff and whack it onto the dongle for the laptop and home PC. I can get more minutes for the mobile off virgin so might switch over to them...or I might not bother - its an ever-changing minefield out there!!

Thanks for the input folks

Archived