Quick Quiz

Duncan MMM

pelmetman - 2015-01-10 12:49 PM

Joe90 - 2015-01-10 11:05 AM

pelmetman - 2015-01-10 8:58 AM

And another thing..............Folk who keep following me around 8-) .............

I often look in my rear view camera and see long lines of traffic :D..............

Another fascinating day down on the Med......................... or Lincolnshire

Naaah can't be Lincolnshire ;-) .......................It's too sunny..............must be Wales (lol) ........

Good God man! Are you ill?

That's a half full bottle of wine behind your laptop - they never keep you know!

Guest pelmetman
laimeduck - 2015-01-10 1:23 PM

pelmetman - 2015-01-10 12:49 PM

Joe90 - 2015-01-10 11:05 AM

pelmetman - 2015-01-10 8:58 AM

And another thing..............Folk who keep following me around 8-) .............

I often look in my rear view camera and see long lines of traffic :D..............

Another fascinating day down on the Med......................... or Lincolnshire

Naaah can't be Lincolnshire ;-) .......................It's too sunny..............must be Wales (lol) ........

Good God man! Are you ill?

That's a half full bottle of wine behind your laptop - they never keep you know!

Sadly its empty :'( .................I think I left it in the sun.........and it evaporated :-S ..............happens a lot out here apparently :-S ..................it's probably because we're too close to the equator :D............

So there you are, indoors sheltering from the sun..............and as ever bashing the keyboard 24/7 just as you do in Lincolnshire.................. as they say, what's new.

Totally agree with Flicka - Lorry drivers blocking both lanes on dual carriageways whilst trying to overtake. On the A14 last weekend, as an example, a lorry took 3 miles to overtake another lorry. Totally selfish. Caused immense frustration for many road users. On the other hand, whilst I have sympathy with lorry drivers who obey the ridiculously slow 40 mph speed limit which lorries are restricted to on single carriageways, the law is an ass and should be changed to allow a more sensible speed on suitable single carriageways. Drivers who either don't indicate or indicate whilst turning. Drivers on the phone, smoking, eating, fiddling with sat navs or doing anything other than driving. Drivers who tailgate. Drivers who lane switch needlessly. Drivers who join dual carriageways or motorways without making any attempt to accelerate up to the speed of the other traffic. Drivers who do 40 mph no matter what the speed limit is - 30, 40, 50, 60 but only ever do 40 (I live in Norfolk...). Marvellous quiz. Let's have more of these to let off steam.

Would it be useful if some of those drivers who are able to drive intelligently and safely in their own vehicles, and still have the capacity to observe and analyse the driving behaviour of us lesser mortals as they encounter us, could give us a few hints or tips on how we might attain their levels of competence.

I find that I have my work cut out making sure that I can stay safe and legal.

AGD

Archiesgrandad - 2015-01-12 12:27 PM

Would it be useful if some of those drivers who are able to drive intelligently and safely in their own vehicles, and still have the capacity to observe and analyse the driving behaviour of us lesser mortals as they encounter us, could give us a few hints or tips on how we might attain their levels of competence.

I find that I have my work cut out making sure that I can stay safe and legal.

AGD

But the bulk of the input on this thread seems to have concerned safety, courtesy and common sense...All pretty key issues.... :-S

So...IF anyone feels that their standard/competence of driving makes them a "lesser mortal"..and that they are finding it difficult enough to stay "safe and legal", without having to deal with all this complicated, additional stuff,(*see above) then maybe they should look at extra driving tuition and/or utilizing public transport?...

Well...You did ask for "tips".... (lol)

Drivers who try to join a motorway while accelerating only very slowly and making no effort to either match traffic speed or wait for a gap. Some of them even seem to think that indicating to pull out gives them the automatic right to do so.

It's courtesy of course to pull out into lane two to make it easier for drivers to join but you can't always do so and having to slow down to avoid hitting them can create problems. It's frustrating when it's clear that they aren't even trying to consider the needs of other drivers.

Guest pelmetman
Joe90 - 2015-01-12 3:22 PM

I'm the best driver on the road.......................like everyone else on here. :-S

No..............I'm the best driver :D ......................Well I'm in front with an open road ahead most of the time (lol) .................

AGD - there are a few videos on You Tube such as Driverskills.com.

Most of the courses are designed for people in work because it enables cost effective mass training. I've done a 'fleet course'. Most of it was common sense that we practised every day when we were concentrating on driving and not something else. There were snippets that were based on our own fleet record of crashes that made us think such as

1. Never drive adjacent to a lorry, especially a foreign one. Make sure the lorry driver can see you [a colleague's car was side swiped, my sister has recently been pushed into road works when avoiding a tipper lorry that decided to change lanes]

2. Never overtake a lorry overtaking another lorry [a colleague was pushed into the concrete barrier]

3. Never drive between two lorries unless you have sufficient stopping distance in front of you for the lorry on your tail.

4. A lorry never has enough room and the driver cannot see everything.

Our overall accident rate was very, very low despite using hire cars. However, it was estimated that one of us would die in a car crash within the next ten years.

Individual training can be £150 or more.

Archived