South of France for winter

John S

I think I shall give the south of Spain a miss for this coming winter. We have made the long trek south for the last 9 years and for this next winter rather favour a shorter journey and the south of France seems attractive. Has anyone an area to suggest where warmer weather arrives early (late Feb/early March) and there is good cycling ? Any suggestions welcome. John S

John S We did what you are looking to do a couple of years ago. After a lot of research we chose 'Camping Club Holiday Marina' at Grimaud, near St Tropez and were well pleased with our choice. The area is protected from behind by the Maures Massif and therefore enjoys weather the equel of anything we could find in the south of France at your chosen time of the year, averaging 50 in Febuary, 53 in March (average daily highs being 52 and 56). The area has lots of interest with Port Grimaud (the French imitation of Venice) being only about a quarter of a mile away and the old town of Grimaud itself near. St Tropez is the nearest large town and of course the whole of the Cote d'Azure is at hand. The site itself (www.holiday-marina.com) is British owned, has good facilities, and kept to a high standard. There is a restaurant on site and hook-ups are 20amp. The real highlight for winter camping though is that it has a modern and spacious individual heated bathroom (toilet, shower, wash basin, etc) to each pitch. The charges can be a quite high in summer but for your period will be around 15 euros daily. If you think this is still high compared to Spain take into account the saving on fuel you will have made! The only drawback is that the site is closed until 1 March so you would have to get around this. A good cycle path runs past the camp serving the local area and there should be decent cycling back into the hills, if you like hills that is? Your never going to get temperatures approaching the south of Spain of course but you will get away from the cranes! Have fun

Thanks Ron for your suggestion. I'll probably give it a try as it sounds exactly what I am looking for. Funnily enough I have camped at Grimaud in the past - some 15 years ago when I was a tugger so I have some recollection of the area although last time it was in high season at a different campsite. JohnS

Archived