Dab radios/ facelift fiats

the general

gocro - 2015-01-11 9:08 AM

But the DAB system is UK only, isn't it?

...as I've responded before to such queries, DAB broadcasting is currently available in many European countries, and is imminent in others (including France).

Your statement could be taken as being technically correct, however, as most of Europe has chosen to use the DAB+ standard (which is compatible with the DAB standard used in the UK, but not vice versa).

Anyone looking to install a car radio (or buy a portable to be used abroad), should be looking for one that supports both standards (and possibly DMB as well if you want to cover all bases, though currently I wouldn't worry about that).

Lenny's radio will receive DAB+ and DAB.

I also note that many of the UK models of portable radios are now supporting DAB+ as well as DAB (current year's Pure models, despite saying on their website that UK models will only support DAB, (DAB+ for export models) are now dual labelled (at least in John Lewis)).

Though wiki isn't ultra-reliable, this link gives some idea:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countries_using_DAB/DMB

I fitted a Sony DAB+ FM/AM radio last year and have been very pleased with the result,

Last year in Germany we were picking up loads of DAB stations, but only a few in France,

So it would appear to be a slow roll out across Europe for the time being,

For music I use two IPods 32G that give me nearly six days of continuous music through the AUX in socket on the radio, well worth going that route instead of a pack of C/D's

Archived