Bl,,dy Indicators

malcy

Morning all,

Anybody else agrees with me that the five blink sequence built into the Fiat x250 indicator stalk is just plain crazy. Mine is so sensitive to the touch that I often set the indicators going when using the headlight dip/ full beam function as it,s all incorporated in the same stalk, what must people following me think. I,m almost afraid to look at the dam thing in case it I wake it up and it goes off on one. It,s all a bit Italian I suppose as they seem to thrive off a bit of chaos ( one of the reasons I like the place so much ) but it really does drive me nuts.

I,m venting my spleen here this morning hoping it may do some good, but in reality the vehicle is shortly due for its first service and I was wondering if any of you had managed to get this particularly annoying piece of unnecessary technology removed at the dealers.

I ask as I have as yet no experience of my Fiat main dealer and they may for all I know be the most knowledgable and professional people on the planet. But just in case, I would like to know of other people's experiences as to be forewarned is to be forearmed as they say.

Agree, one of the main causes of me Cursing at the Van 'Language Timothy !'

And I feel embarassed, at what traffic folowing think, at first I could go 5 or 600 yards indicating first one way then the other while I tried to cancel the Blxxdy thing. More aware now, but still catches me occasionally. *-) Ray

Doubt it can be Programmed out, if it can, let us know.

Absolute pain the posterior, so sensitive feel like a right twit going down the road with indicators going in all directions, automatic reaction after knocking the stalk is to cancel it that just starts them in the other direction. More than once in panic tried to cancel several times I must look like a right idiot of a driver.

Why can't they make it like most cars where you have to hold the stalk for a couple of seconds and then only gives 3 flashes rather than Fiat's 5.

I think they may have fixed this in the X2/90 as I don't recognise the criticisms regarding over-sensitivity: it works just fine and requires a positive hold of the stalk to set it going.

Didn't have it on my X2/50s though so can't make a comoarison.

Personally I think that the 5 flashes better cover a lane change manoeuvre than the 3 flashes that my car does, especially for a bigger, slower vehicle.

I have the same facility on my car, although it is not over sensitive or anything like that, and in the UK I use it all the time when overtaking or changing lanes, but a few years ago I was driving back from skiing holiday in Austria, and every time I attempted to overtake or change lanes I was assailed by flashing lights and hooters from the cars coming up behind me.

On reflection I think that because my indicators only flashed 3 times the drivers behind me thought that I had decided not to pull out after all and had cancelled the signal, and as they started their manoeuvre to pass me I was pulling out in front of them without signalling. I stopped doing the quick flick signal and had no further problems. Maybe 5 flashes would be better.

AGD

The advice about the “Lane change function” is the same in X250 and X290 Owner Handbooks"

"If you wish to signal a lane change, place the left stalk in the unstable position for less than half a second. The direction indicator on the side selected will flash five times and then switch off automatically.”

This is a 2012 MHF-forum moan

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-119797-days0-orderasc-0.html

I can’t find any indication that the function can be disabled or its sensitivity-level adjusted.

Steve928 - 2015-01-11 6:11 PM

I think they may have fixed this in the X2/90 as I don't recognise the criticisms regarding over-sensitivity: it works just fine and requires a positive hold of the stalk to set it going.

Didn't have it on my X2/50s though so can't make a comoarison.

Personally I think that the 5 flashes better cover a lane change manoeuvre than the 3 flashes that my car does, especially for a bigger, slower vehicle.

I think you are lucky Steve, I've just been in a Hymer with X290 cab, indicator has a hair trigger just like my X250.

Interestingly could not see any difference in the dash between the my X250 and the X290.

It,s not just me then, judging from your comments. Lenny B summed up my frustration perfectly when he called it a "hair trigger" and that is the bit that really frustrates me. I could easily live with it otherwise although I,m still of the opinion that it,s pointless and uneccesary.

What irritates me about the feature, is not the so called, 'hair trigger', it is the inability to cancel it once started. Previously I drove a Transit MK7 (as an Auto-Sleeper Duetto) and this had the feature with just three flashes, BUT, I could cancel it after it started if so desired. With the X250 system, once the flashes start, they seem to have to continue, which at times is embarrassing.

What also irritates me is having to cycle all the way round when viewing the trip data instead of being able to quickly go back to the start (we have the two trip display and there seems to be about a dozen steps to get back to the beginning).

spospe - 2015-01-13 11:18 AM

What also irritates me is having to cycle all the way round when viewing the trip data instead of being able to quickly go back to the start (we have the two trip display and there seems to be about a dozen steps to get back to the beginning).

You have just reminded me to get around to cancelling the B trip it's not too bad cycling through one lot but two is a bit much, it is easy to cancel via the menu.

lennyhb - 2015-01-12 3:18 PM

...Interestingly could not see any difference in the dash between the my X250 and the X290.

There are detail differences. For example, the X290’s speedometer-scale now reads to 190km/h (rather than the X250’s 180km/h) and the display has potentially more illuminated symbols.

There’s also a ‘Gear Shift Indicator’ icon to advise a driver when to change up or down. I don’t think this feature can be disabled by the driver, but a judiciously applied piece of black tape should mask it.

Derek Uzzell - 2015-01-13 2:59 PM

lennyhb - 2015-01-12 3:18 PM

...Interestingly could not see any difference in the dash between the my X250 and the X290.

There are detail differences. For example, the X290’s speedometer-scale now reads to 190km/h (rather than the X250’s 180km/h) and the display has potentially more illuminated symbols.

There’s also a ‘Gear Shift Indicator’ icon to advise a driver when to change up or down. I don’t think this feature can be disabled by the driver, but a judiciously applied piece of black tape should mask it.

I don't think a speedo reading to 190k in a Motorhome is going to worry me, mine shows shows what gear it's in & don't need to be told which gear as it's an auto. (lol)

I was really referring to the general layout of the whole dash area the revised X250 dash appears to be the same as the X290 apart from the centre glove box becoming an option. In an A class unless you knew about the speedo you wouldn't which model it was.

Derek Uzzell - 2015-01-13 2:59 PM

Mine shows "'Shift>" even in sixth gear i.e. all the time you're cruising on the motorway. Hard to believe they didn't think to program that out,unless perhaps the manual box versions don't know which gear they're in.

That apart, the shift indication does seem to be reasonable, unlike my car which thinks I should be shifting up to 6th. at 40mph and 1300 revs..

I don't mind the indicators flashing as I had this on my last Land Rover and got used to it, plus mine needs a firm touch to activate it. As for the Menu/Trip display - I echo the previous comments about having to scroll through the whole thing each time you want to see a bit of different information, what a pain !

As for the new dash, you also get chrome hooded instrument dials and also a few more switches for the fancy bits like hill control etc. The all singing all dancing radio/monitor is new too along with all the controls on the steering wheel.

One thing I will miss when we get our new MH in March will be the large central locker that has now been altered to a couple of drinks holders and USB socket.

Alan

AlanS - 2015-01-13 5:15 PM

As for the new dash, you also get chrome hooded instrument dials and also a few more switches for the fancy bits like hill control etc. The all singing all dancing radio/monitor is new too along with all the controls on the steering wheel.

Not seen any chrome hooded dials, must be an option. the Hill holder does not have a switch, radio steering wheel controls have always been an option from the first x250's.

One thing I will miss when we get our new MH in March will be the large central locker that has now been altered to a couple of drinks holders and USB socket.

Alan

The large central glove box is an option, like all Fiat options it is down to the converter if they offer it or spec it as standard.

spospe - 2015-01-13 11:18 AM

What irritates me about the feature, is not the so called, 'hair trigger', it is the inability to cancel it once started. Previously I drove a Transit MK7 (as an Auto-Sleeper Duetto) and this had the feature with just three flashes, BUT, I could cancel it after it started if so desired. With the X250 system, once the flashes start, they seem to have to continue, which at times is embarrassing.

The way to cancel it, is to positively switch them on and off, usualy means about 3 flashs,but if you where quick enough might cut that to 2.

Lenny

I can only speak for the AutoTrail range and they have the 'chrome hoods' over the dials, A button for ESC fitted as standard featuring ‘hill hold’ facility and a button for Traction Plus fitted as standard with ‘hill descent’ function.

The steering wheel controls have radio/CD/Bluetooth/Speech control on one side and telephone controls on the other.

Not major differences to my X250 but welcome some of these.

Alan

As I said it's down to what options the converter selects or offers you. Admit I've never hear of a hill hold you can turn on and off, my car has it & my Hymer it works automatically. Wouldn't know what Auto Trail offer not seen inside a UK van for years.

AlanS - 2015-01-13 8:18 PM

Lenny

I can only speak for the AutoTrail range and they have the 'chrome hoods' over the dials, A button for ESC fitted as standard featuring ‘hill hold’ facility and a button for Traction Plus fitted as standard with ‘hill descent’ function.

The steering wheel controls have radio/CD/Bluetooth/Speech control on one side and telephone controls on the other.

Alan

I believe you’ll find that the X290’s “Hill Descent Control” (HDC) feature (that can be enabled/disabled via a dashboard switch) is an option irrespective of whether or not Traction+ is fitted. So, even if the vehicle does not have Traction+ it can have HDC and, even if it does have Traction+, it won’t necessarily have HDC. There’s no button to enable/disable ESC but, if the vehicle has ESC (but not Traction+) there is a button (marked “ASR OFF”) to disengage/engage the AntiSlip Regulation feature.

As Lenny says, it all depends on what specification the motorhome converter has chosen for the chassis.

For what it’s worth, it is possible to temporarily turn off the “Hill Start Assist” feature of a Transit Mk 8 via the vehicle’s information-display menu. Not sure why one might want to - the handbook merely says you can.

Derek Uzzell - 2015-01-14 9:56 AM

Lenny

Alan

I believe you’ll find that the X290’s “Hill Descent Control” (HDC) feature (that can be enabled/disabled via a dashboard switch) is an option irrespective of whether or not Traction+ is fitted. So, even if the vehicle does not have Traction+ it can have HDC and, even if it does have Traction+, it won’t necessarily have HDC. There’s no button to enable/disable ESC but, if the vehicle has ESC (but not Traction+) there is a button (marked “ASR OFF”) to disengage/engage the AntiSlip Regulation feature.

As Lenny says, it all depends on what specification the motorhome converter has chosen for the chassis.

For what it’s worth, it is possible to temporarily turn off the “Hill Start Assist” feature of a Transit Mk 8 via the vehicle’s information-display menu. Not sure why one might want to - the handbook merely says you can.

This thread has moved slightly from the original of indicator stalk flashes and I was merely replying to Lenny inasmuch as he did not see that much difference between the X250 cab and the X290 on the Hymer. I know what the AutoTrail range has as standard as I have a current X250 and am due to pick up the new MH with the X290 in March and I have been all over it before purchase plus downloaded the handbook and the new radio operating/satnav instructions for the new Fiat. I know the AutoTrail standard spec (which is all inclusive) and assumed that Hymer, at least in the cab area, would have all the bells and whistles as standard and not as an item on their ever increasing list of extras.

Alan .

Nevertheless, there is no “button for ESC”...

Although ESC is part of a Ducato X290’s standard specification, it can be (and often is) deselected by motorhome manufacturers. There also seems to be no predictable link between the cost of an X290-based motorhome and the specification of the base vehicle. Some expensive Rapido models are offered without ESC, while motorhomes from ‘budget’ converters can come as standard with the Traction+, HDC and Driver Advice options.

AlanS - 2015-01-14 12:27 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2015-01-14 9:56 AM

Lenny

Alan

This thread has moved slightly from the original of indicator stalk flashes and I was merely replying to Lenny inasmuch as he did not see that much difference between the X250 cab and the X290 on the Hymer. I know what the AutoTrail range has as standard as I have a current X250 and am due to pick up the new MH with the X290 in March and I have been all over it before purchase plus downloaded the handbook and the new radio operating/satnav instructions for the new Fiat. I know the AutoTrail standard spec (which is all inclusive) and assumed that Hymer, at least in the cab area, would have all the bells and whistles as standard and not as an item on their ever increasing list of extras.

Alan .

Drivers door was an extra on my Hymer (lol)

Derek Uzzell - 2015-01-12 1:48 PM

The advice about the “Lane change function” is the same in X250 and X290 Owner Handbooks"

"If you wish to signal a lane change, place the left stalk in the unstable position for less than half a second. The direction indicator on the side selected will flash five times and then switch off automatically.”

This is a 2012 MHF-forum moan

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-119797-days0-orderasc-0.html

I can’t find any indication that the function can be disabled or its sensitivity-level adjusted.

Place the left stalk in the 'UNSTABLE' position , sums it up precisely !

I much prefere a SOLID on/off actuation. (much in the way I abhor 'Predictive text' on a phone or Sat nav). Ray

Archived