Planning our Greece Trip

Cattwg

As I seen for Italy the Aosta Valley require winter tyres, or tyres + chains, between October 15th to April 15th where indicated by road signs, other areas from 15th November, but apparently they are in the process of changing their laws regarding winter tyres.

Pete. Last September we booked by phone, whilst in Austria, directly with Minoan in Trieste. Young lady gave us a "good price" on the next available sailing in a further 3 days time. The return was booked with Go Ferry, online, and we had to wait some 10days to take advantage of Minoans "camper offer". Your point regarding "open return tickets" would have been the answer. But all the on line systems seem to request an actual return date. Am i missing something!!

Chris.

I only use the ferry websites to get the prices, be delighted to be proven wrong but doubt they will have an online option to book an open return

Viamare.com should be able to arrange it, worth giving them a ring on 020 8206 3420

Pete

Have to agree Viamare very helpful, Greek ferry sites are a nightmare, I couldn't find a price anywhere near what Viamare could offer. They deal with all the ferry companies so easy to get a comparison & also gave advice on how to get the best discount.

• 3 weeks later...
lennyhb - 2015-02-07 5:11 PM

Well now the ferry is booked, what is Greece like for servicing, i.e. getting water and dumping waste.

Hi Lenny, assuming you're not using campsites then you just have to be a bit resourceful.

Fresh Water..

Consider a few spare water containers to supplement the main tank. A watering can is very handy for decanting as well. Take a solar shower with you, fill it and store it in in the garage between trips in your waste bucket in case of leaks, its much nicer showering outdoors and washing all the sand off.

A good idea is to try and time it for when you fill up with diesel and ask for water then, doubt you'll get refused.

If you have refillable gas bottles or tank the number of LPG outlets is quickly growing, ask for water when you refill these as well.

Another option is at marinas which are plentiful along the coast, although you might have to pay a few €'s for the privilege.

Beach showers are another good option, just unscrew the rose (if it is still there) and decant into a container. Some also have a tap near the base as well. I have adapted a length of hose which you can slip over the outlet so you don't have to lift your container too high.

Grey water...

The best way is to decant into a bucket regularly and distribute into hedgerows. Use it as a flush for your Cassette tanks as well if you don't have access to fresh water at the time.

Toilet waste...

Firstly, its best not to put your toilet paper down the cassette. Greek toilet pipes are smaller bore to the norm as you're probably aware and paper could block the pipes. Use a small container next to your loo for the paper, its what they do out there and you'll soon get used to it.

If you have the space and payload then a second cassette will double the time between empties.

As mentioned previously, ask if you can use the toilet while you're refuelling with diesel or LPG or try marinas.

There are occasional public toilet blocks in some towns/villages that you could use, some might have a tap as well, always leave cleaner than you left it goes without saying but some are pretty grim so hold your breath before emptying.

Last resort is to bury your waste in a remote location so carry a folding shovel just in case.

Finally you'll see a lot of Taverna's offering overnight parking, usually as long as you have a meal, chances are you'll be able to take on water and maybe empty your toilet here as well if you ask nicely.

Have a great trip.

pete

Thanks Pete, We always carry a couple of 20Lt water containers & a submersible pump in the garage as we only have a 100 Lt tank so we can last 4-5 days with both of us having daily showers. Also carry a spare loo cassette so we can go 6 - 8 days without dumping. Had forgotten about Greek sewage systems but providing you empty after driving it's virtually all liquid also have a SOG so no problem with septic tanks.

Must admit hadn't thought about marinas, in Ireland found you cold always get water at the end of the pier there was always a tap for the fishermen. Most of the time we will probably be inland as we like walking in the hills.

Found some of Don Madge's blogs useful he tells you where the taps are.

Sounds like we should just carry on as we normally do, in Ireland & Scotland I've always asked if I can fill up with water before putting any fuel in, only been refused once I just went on to the next garage.

We have 2 x 13kg refillable gas bottles, 1 bottle lasts us just over 2 - 3 weeks dependent on weather, I had noticed there appears to be quite a few LPG outlets now, I assume as it's a warm climate it's lightly to be 50/50 Propane/butane, don't want to be stuck with too much of that in the bottles when I get back to UK in late October.

Another thought is just ask any German or Dutch motorhomer, they usually know all the best spots. (lol)

Incidentaly, a few years ago we came across what might have been the first proper motorhome servicepoint with free fresh water and drive over grid for grey water and a sink for toilet waste at the Shell services by the Ignatia motorway to the west of Kavala, exit Moustheni. Might be handy if you're going that way. 40.84413 24.11518 Chances are a few more might have opened up on their motorways network since then.

I did a google map for stoppovers a few years back based on mine and others experiences, most of the Crete ones are Don's. Its a bit out of date now and most are coastal but might be of use...

http://goo.gl/maps/Tehqr

Pete

Archived