Peugot Boxer problems

Charlie macleod

Hi can anyone help...I am getting desperate. I have a 06 devon conversion peugot boxer campervan. I broke down in the highlands at the start of December while on a mountain rescue training exercise. I am a dog handler and get called out all over Scotland. The van started fine but would not Rev and was blowing black smoke. We got repatriated home by the AA. My local garage has since replaced the ERG valve, all the fuel injectors as well as draining the fuel tank and flushing the system. On a test drive it still would not Rev and went at 30 mph ,on the return ,after restarting, it reved fine but was still blowing black smoke. The diagnostics are showing no faults even though the oil indicator is showing too much oil even although the level is only just over min. The local garage has run out of ideas and my closest dealer is over 100 miles away. I am desperate to get this sorted but am at a loss as to how to move it on. Any suggestions would be more than appreciated.

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums.

If you can say which motor your Boxer has, this could be helpful where providing advice is concerned.

I think that a 2006 Boxer could have had three turbo-diesel powerplants - a 2.0litre, a 2.2litre and a 2.8litre - with the 2.0litre and 2.8litre motor also being fitted to a 2006 Ducato. But the 2.2litre motor would have only have been found in the Boxer (or in its Citroen Relay twin).

A GOOGLE-search on “Peugeot Boxer black smoke” retrieves a number of entries. However it appears that your local garage has dealt with what seem to be the most common culprits.

Hello,

I hope that the garage concerned tested the injectors before changing them! They would be at the bottom of my list of suspects.

Black smoke on these engines is normally caused by a leaking turbo pipe of a hole in the intercooler.

This applies equally to all of the variants mentioned. It would also explain the lack of power and should be accompanied by more 'whooshing' noises than usual.

Nick

Guest Peter James
If it was blowing that much black smoke it must have clogged the MAP sensor. Presumably the garage cleaned or replaced it? (After sending for a new one I found washing the old one carefully in petrol restored it perfectly) - further info and a photo here: http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/X2-50-black-smoke-and-loss-of-torque-at-lower-revs/34292/

We had this very same problem on two of our Freelanders. What was discovered was that the inner coating of one of the rubber hoses from the intercooler had delaminated. This meant that on idle it was fine but as soon as you applied the throttle a bubble was inflated inside the pipe thus cutting off air supply to turbo. Same thing black smoke and a max speed of about 15 mph.

Both the AA and aLandrover garage insisted we needed a new turbo.

Total cost to repair £40 for a pair of new hoses.

Archived