MOTORHOME TYRES

luigi59

Hi

I am in the process of changing all 5 tyres on My 2004 Fiat Ducato CI Carioca Living 22 ,17,000 miles as they are now showing signs of cracking around the out wall of the tyre due to age. I am going to have Michelin Agilis Camping 215/70 R15C 109Q CP, M+S tyres fitted can you advise me that these brand tyres are suitable for my motorhome .

many thanks ! :-D

So far I'm struggling to like the Agilis Camping that came on the new van.

Firstly they thump over minor bumps and imperfections like nothing I've had before. Catseyes are to be avoided at all costs. Bang!

Driving the van home I was sure that they must have been pumped up to 80psi but upon checking they were at 55. Certainly the worst ride I've encountered from a motorhome tyre thus far.

Secondly they are so flexible in the sidewall (strange given my observation above) that when parked the van shimmies around in the wind as the tyres flex. Give it a firm shove on the rear corner for example and it sets off a motion that lasts for 5 seconds or so - the suspension isn't moving, it's all flex in the tyres. I've seen someone on another forum with the same van claiming that they were feeling seasick sitting in the van and I can now see why.

I have a second set of wheels and tyres from a previous van, Falken R51s, which gave a superb ride - I'll be trying these as soon as the wind drops enough to get the van up on the jack.

On my last van I swapped Michelin "campers" for Kumho tyres, same load rating, the ride was vastly superior and quieter than the Michelins they replaced, I do wonder if it's all smoke and mirrors....and an additional £240 for a set isn't exactly small change :-S

I have them fitted, I have found them to be good on wet grass etc, and seem to have improved my steering and ride!

They do make a bit more noise but I think that is the "sipes" (pattern) of the tyre.

My only gripe is they do wear a bit more quickly, due no doubt to the softer compound.

I wonder if load etc makes a difference? I am under 3.5 tonnes. Just my personal findings.

By the way there are two sorts of Agilis, "Camping" and non camping, they should be marked "Camping" on the sidewall in big letters.

H

Steve928

Seems odd, as one might reasonably expect Agilis Camping tyres to have stiffer than average sidewalls to cope with high load/high inflation-pressure conditions and, consequently, be less prone to the shimmying characteristic you mention than a ‘standard’ tyre.

What make/model of motorhome do you have, please?

bigrab1888 - 2015-01-12 2:41 PM

Continental vanco campers are also worth considering. I have these and they seem very good, might also be

cheaper :-D

The Conti Vanco will give a softer ride than the Michelin Agilis Camping but the Michelin's are legal to use abroad in the winter, it you don't do winters across the ditch the Contie's would be my preference and they are a bit cheaper. If you want a camping tyre with M&S rating there is only the Michelin.

Derek Uzzell - 2015-01-12 3:22 PM

Steve928

Seems odd, as one might reasonably expect Agilis Camping tyres to have stiffer than average sidewalls to cope with high load/high inflation-pressure conditions and, consequently, be less prone to the shimmying characteristic you mention than a ‘standard’ tyre.

What make/model of motorhome do you have, please?

Bailey 740, Derek.

Supple sidewalls are, I believe, a feature of 'green' tyres that claim low rolling resistance, as the Agilis do.

I've seen this on Michelin car tyres too. We took a set of Michelin Energy tyres off of my Wife's Clio to fit winter tyres and they (the Michelins) had a notably lightweight and flexible sidewall.

lennyhb - 2015-01-12 3:25 PM

Continental vanco campers are also worth considering. I have these and they seem very good, might also be

The Conti Vanco will give a softer ride than the Michelin Agilis Camping but the Michelin's are legal to use abroad in the winter, it you don't do winters across the ditch the Contie's would be my preference and they are a bit cheaper. If you want a camping tyre with M&S rating there is only the Michelin.

The Continental Vanco tyres on our new PVC are marked Four Seasons so presumedly would,be legal to use abroad in winter.

Just been into Kwik Fit today to have my tyres checked before Spain and unbelievably they are in perfect condition, still a good 10K on them and they have already done 45,000 miles.

Michelin for me definitely when I replace them

Very Happy Camper

Mike

Currently there are only three CP-marked ‘camping-car’ tyre ranges – Michelin’s “Agilis Camping”, Continental’s “VancoCamper” and Pirelli’s “Carrier Camper”. All of these are ‘summer’ tyres, but Agilis Camping is (as Lenny says) the only one that’s M+S-marked.

In mid-2013 the German magazine Pro-Mobil comparatively tested six 215/70 R15 size tyres including Agilis Camping and VancoCamper. VancoCamper scored higher than Agilis Camping.

In April 2014 the German magazine Auto-Bild comparatively tested seven ‘motorhome suitable’ tyres in 235/65 R16 size including Carrier Camper and Vanco Camper. A summary of the test results is here

http://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-ww/car/find-your-tyres/test-results/summer/carrier-auto-build-2014-04

The Pro-Mobil and Auto-Bild tests both marked Hankook’s “Vantra LT” highest overall, but this is an M+S-marked ‘commercial’ tyre and is not CP-marked.

The three winter-tyre-related parts on this blog may also be of interest

http://motorhometrips.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/winter-tyres-part-1-do-you-need-them_2181.html

Colin Leake - 2015-01-13 7:03 PM

lennyhb - 2015-01-12 3:25 PM

The Continental Vanco tyres on our new PVC are marked Four Seasons so presumedly would,be legal to use abroad in winter.

Yes, but the Four seasons are not camping tyres which the OP was asking about.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update this thread I did take the Agilis tyres off and fit the set of Falken R51s that I had in the garage.

I'm much much happier with the ride. 'Chalk and cheese' would not be too extreme a comparison and for the first time I've been able to enjoy the van as it floats along rather than rattling and shaking over every bump. I've gone from clenched-teeth and anxiously gripping the wheel to relaxed and laid back, all due to tyres..

An additional benefit seems to be that the chassis' tendency to follow road camber has been negated.

The downside is that the original fit wheels had tyre pressure sensors fitted so I now have a yellow warning light on..

The Michelins won't be going back on so if anyone would like a set of 215/70x15 having done 253 miles for a very good price please PM me.

Derek Uzzell - 2015-02-06 9:08 AM

Steve928 - 2015-02-05 4:57 PM

Just to update this thread I did take the Agilis tyres off and fit the set of Falken R51s that I had in the garage...

May I ask what size your Falken R51 tyres are, please? I can’t see a 215/70 R15C size in Falken’s documentation.

If you read his post again it appears he's swapped his rims complete with tyres............on the face of it they are a different size to the originals (!)

I’m mildly curious about the tyre size, but it’s probably more useful for me to know exactly what vehicle the Falken-equipped rims came off.

I’ve assumed that the standard 15”-diameter steel wheels fitted to X290s are the same as were fitted to the preceding X250s, but I’ve not attempted to research this (yet). As I shall want a spare wheel for my X290-based Rapido, if Steve’s ‘old’ rims had come off a late-model X250 I could be reasonably confident that X250 rims would fit X290 hubs.

Archived