European trip planning.

jonnybravo

Hi i am after some advice on planning our first trip to Europe, we bought our first motor home in august last year (auto trail scout) and have only used it once for a week in Cornwall so far. we are looking at driving to Spain over Easter school holidays as a family of 4 (2 adults & 2 kids) i have only got 11 days of work so a bit pushed for time ! not booked anything yet but my plans are as follows any advice or tips from anyone would be greatly appreciated, driving from Yorkshire via tunnel to camping Aquarius on costa brava over 2 days (1100 miles) with stop of mid France at chateau deleperviere for 1 night, staying 3 nights at Aquarius then on to bontera park in benicassim for 4 nights then spend 3 days driving back (1350 miles) ! also planning a similar trip over spring bank for 15 days staying at Le Brasilia site near perpignan in France and el delfin verde in Spain. don't want to use aires only want to stay on good quality sites even if its only for 1 night stopovers.

First thing to work out is daily driving. I cruise at 60 mph but the average nearly always works out at about 45 mph and 6 hours driving a day is enough. So you are looking at 300 miles a day. Even a pee stop kills the averages.

If you drive longer than that you will not have time to eat and digest your food sat in a cramped driving position.You will not sleep properly ( to wound up )

Remember its a holiday make the journey part of it. Stop of on the way and take a walk.

Richard

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums.

Your trip is (as has already been suggested) ambitious in view of its shortish duration and the distance involved. Unless you can share the driving and use autoroutes a good deal (which won’t be inexpensive) I’m doubtful that you’ll be able to do the outwards and return legs in the 2-days and 3-days you are planning. Me, I’d also be asking myself whether it’s overly optimistic to expect a motorhome that’s only been used for a week in Cornwall to remain trouble-free during a rapid round-trip to Spain.

Although the weather in early April should be better in Spain and southern France than further north, I believe you’d be wiser to limit your first trip to Europe to France and (if you want the seaside) explore, say, the Morbihan or Vendee areas. If things went well, you’d then be in a better position experience-wise regarding the longer-duration France/Spain holiday you are considering taking the following month.

With only 11 days, and two kids, if Spain is the preferred destination I'd be prepared for lots of "are we there yet" and the possibility of them never talking to you in later life. :D

I think you as a youngish fella can easily drive the distance outlined, we old farts have long lost the stamina and energy someone like you will have. You can sleep when you're older. Into my 60's I've driven well over 400 miles in a day and mostly enjoyed it, and still do 300 miles when needed.

Go for it, the experience alone will be something.

i agree its a long way for first trip hence looking for a bit of advise prior to booking, obviously looking at Spain for better weather first week in April not sure what weather is like in France at that time of year also don't seem to be many french sites open for the first week in April ?

Guest pelmetman
starvin marvin - 2015-01-13 9:57 AM

Go for it, the experience alone will be something.

What's that old saying? :-S ..................Kill or cure :D ...........

The crucial thing you need to ask yourself is how two kids and your missus will cope with essentially 6 days out of 11 days doing nothing but sitting looking out the window. This with all respect to the poster above isn't about your or anyone elses, stamina, it's about will be a good experience for all concerned...........sitting staring out at a boring motorway for endless hours doesn't seem to hold children's attention for long ;-)

Like most have said a bit far if you only have 11 days. When we had a caravan and the kids we have done Spain in 16 days with 3 days traveling each way & 10 days is not much time there. We live on the south coast you will loose a day getting Calais and another one on the return.

If you only want to stay on sites you will need to do some research as a lot of sites in France do not open until May or even June depending on the area. Even if they say they are open in the book do email or ring to check, often they are only open out of season for residents only.

My first planned trip with my campervan was a 5000km (Portugal-Norway) in 13 days. I fell through because I didn't manage to get the van ready in time, so instead I did a 1800km trip around Portugal in 8 days. In the end, I understood that I wasn't ready for my Portugal-Norway trip.

- Distances take a lot long to cover if you don't take the highways - which are costly for motorhomes.

- Everything in the motorhome takes longer than at home, e.g. cooking, dishwashing, etc.

- 500 miles in a van are not the same than 500 miles in your sedan

- I don't have kids, just a dog, and luckily he endures the long stretches better than we do

- Also, in the beginning you are still getting used to the motorhome specific tasks

I really felt that I got a lot more tired in the beginning. After 2300km to Morroco in 8 days, I ended up doing Portugal-Norway and Norway-Portugal in 12 and 13 days respectively and I'm more comfortable with the long drives in the van, but for a first timer...I'd urge you to think twice.

As has been said already, a long way for 11 days. You don't say how old the kids are, sounds as like still young. If you must go to Spain, then how about ferry to Bilbao/Santander, from Portsmouth? (24hrs) Yes costs more, but consider the fuel cost , stops in campsites,then not such a difference, maybe. It will take you a day from Yorkshire down south (we have son in yorkshire, so know how long it takes in a car) You will not be able to travel as fast in a van as in a car.As has also be said, The Vendee/Morbihan area of France, great for kids One other thing, being school hols, the UK roads will also be very busy

Best advice , leave Spain for a longer trip, if you can. We older campers usually go for months rather than weeks, and you have years ahead of you to explore the big wide world of motor homing

PJay

jonnybravo - 2015-01-13 10:07 AM

i agree its a long way for first trip hence looking for a bit of advise prior to booking, obviously looking at Spain for better weather first week in April not sure what weather is like in France at that time of year also don't seem to be many french sites open for the first week in April ?

Have you factored into your first day the time it will take to cross the channel, and the fact that you will lose one hour changing to Central European Time. If I'm honest, I think this is a wish-list, not a plan. I think you need to do some proper route planning, and some maths, before you decide how far you can, realistically, get. My take is that with a family (ages unstated), in a motorhome (not a fast car), and with IMO insufficiant provision for comfort breaks, meal stops, preparation, cooking and washing up, ablutions etc, the distances, particularly for the first day are completely unrealistic. I also think you need to recognise that Easter is the grand opening of the summer holiday period what traffic is likely to be heavier than normal, a lot of sites will be busy, and you'll need to book (and possibly pay in advance for) space. You therefore need to allow time for hold-ups along the route (accidents etc), and for possible difficulties in finding vacancies on sites. To be reasonably confident of finding vacant space at busy periods you need to stop driving at about 16:00 - 17:00. Places tend to fill quite rapidly after that time. Trotting round the countryside in the growing dark looking for available spaces, after having driven well over 500 miles on one hit, is, I would suggest, something of a recipe for disaster.

Guest Peter James
starvin marvin - 2015-01-13 9:57 AM

I've driven well over 400 miles in a day

So have I when I was on my own driving a lorry, getting paid by the mile, and just pulling into a lay by to sleep. But I certainly wouldn't like to do it with family in a motorhome and call it a holiday!!!

thanks all for your comments i will take on board the general feeling that the trip is a little too far in too short a timescale, i think we may forget about Spain for this trip and have a look at the south of France and take an extra day travelling there and back, can anyone recommend any sites in the south and for the trip down that are open at this time of year ? kids are 8 and 10 years old.

Just a suggestion as you have two children on board, Boulogne sur Mer is just a short hop from Calais, if the weather is good there is a fabulous beach, and Nausicaa aquarium would be a great hit with your kids, one of the best we've ever been to, the old town is lovely as well, then maybe Disneyland where you can stay overnight or a few nights with your van, a whole lot less driving than the south of France, but maybe a whole lot more fun for you and the kids ;-)

Brian Kirby - 2015-01-13 10:39 AM

jonnybravo - 2015-01-13 10:07 AM

Have you factored into your first day the time it will take to cross the channel, and the fact that you will lose one hour changing to Central European Time. If I'm honest, I think this is a wish-list, not a plan. I think you need to do some proper route planning, and some maths, before you decide how far you can, realistically, get. My take is that with a family (ages unstated), in a motorhome (not a fast car), and with IMO insufficiant provision for comfort breaks, meal stops, preparation, cooking and washing up, ablutions etc, the distances, particularly for the first day are completely unrealistic. I also think you need to recognise that Easter is the grand opening of the summer holiday period what traffic is likely to be heavier than normal, a lot of sites will be busy, and you'll need to book (and possibly pay in advance for) space. You therefore need to allow time for hold-ups along the route (accidents etc), and for possible difficulties in finding vacancies on sites. To be reasonably confident of finding vacant space at busy periods you need to stop driving at about 16:00 - 17:00. Places tend to fill quite rapidly after that time. Trotting round the countryside in the growing dark looking for available spaces, after having driven well over 500 miles on one hit, is, I would suggest, something of a recipe for disaster.

Adding to the above to inject some fairly realistic timings.

Assuming you live in Doncaster, and leave at 07:00, you should get to the tunnel via A1 in time for a 12:00 shuttle. You should then leave Guines at about 13:30, allowing for the one hour time change. I'm assuming you eat on the shuttle, (otherwise you'd need to add in a meal break). Using only autoroutes, you should arrive at Gigny-sur-Soane (Chateau de l'Eperviere) at about 21:30. Mileage 640. No further breaks factored in. Leaving l'Eperviere at 09:00 you should get to St Pere Pescador for Aquarius, again using only autoroute/autovia at about 16:00 with one, one hour, break included. Mileage 400. St Pere Pescador to Benicasim (Bonterra Park), using AP7, leaving at 09:00, should mean you arrive at 14:00, so no meal break included. Mileage 250. Total mileage down 1290. Return mileage, using only autovia/autoroute/motorway (or equivalent), 1210.

This is from MS AutoRoute 2013, set to reasonably realistic road speeds for a motorhome. I use this a lot and find these settings give fairly reliable forecast arrival times in Europe. My limited experience of the A1/M1, M25, and Dartford crossing, are that the above forecasts will be over optimistic, as all three are subject to peak time hold-ups. I would therefore be strongly inclined to leave home later, and either take a later shuttle and stop near Guines, or stop near Folkestone and get an earlish shuttle the next morning. Even if you got a 08:00 shuttle (for which you need to arrive at Cheriton at 07:30 latest) you wouldn't get to l'Eperviere until 17:30.

My suggestion to help planning would be to get a copy of AutoRoute 2013 (PC only) before they all sell out, and just play with it. MS are now dropping it, and there is nothing to replace it but, even allowing for the pace of road change, it should last you a good few years before it becomes too outdated to be of use. Might even prevent divorce, or worse! :-D

The best laid schemes of mice and men. 8-)

Don't forget refuelling stops. :D

And possibly two very bored kids, whom on your planning have been dragged from their beds around 5.30 am..................have you ever had kids I wonder. ?

This website relates to French municipal campsites

http://www.camping-municipal.org/index.htm

and it’s possible to display those that (supposedly) are open all year round

http://www.camping-municipal.org/campings-ouverts-toute-l-annee.htm

I believe you are going to need to decide (roughly) where you want to end up, (roughly) where you want to stop on the way there, and the route you want to take. I can’t see much profit in trying to recommend an intermediate campsite stop if your preferred route south is nowhere near it.

Although a limited number of French muncipal campsites are open all-year-round, others will have opened by Easter. You should be able to pick those out from the website, though there’s no guarantee the opening-period information will be correct for 2015. I don’t know how you judge the ‘quality’ of a campsite, so the cheaper municipal sites may not be to your taste.

I would not have thought booking campsites should be necessary in April, but I’ve never visited the south of France in a motohome at Easter time.

Joe90 - 2015-01-13 1:37 PM

The best laid schemes of mice and men. 8-)

Don't forget refuelling stops. :D

And possibly two very bored kids, whom on your planning have been dragged from their beds around 5.30 am..................have you ever had kids I wonder. ?

I'm not suggesting that is what the OP should do, just what his present plan implies! I'm hoping he will see what you and I (and a few others) can see as the drawbacks, and will make a few revisions. But, as ever, it is his trip, so what he chooses to do is up to him, as far as I'm concerned.

Derek Uzzell - 2015-01-13 2:42 PM................I would not have thought booking campsites should be necessary in April, but I’ve never visited the south of France in a motohome at Easter time.

I agree with this. In retrospect I should have said a) MAY need to book, and b) only for the coastal sites, where it would be wise to check. Easter is early this year, so I would expect more sites to be open from 1 April than otherwise. Using 2014 as a guide, there should be no great problems finding open sites across France and down the costas for the whole of April.

In my younger days we used to drive with the caravan to San Pere Pescador (near Aquarius) from the South UK and used to do it in roughly 18 hours. We used to get the midnight ferry from Dover then while my wife and son were asleep I used to drive and drive only stopping for fuel and toilet stops. We used to go to the Balena Allegra II site and arrive well after they had closed for the evening and used to 'bed down' on the camp car park until next morning. My wife hated it and our son, once he had got a little older was bored on the journey. Having finished work on a Friday and getting the van hitched and away to Dover and when I finally arrived at our journey's end I was 'out of it' for a couple of days. We used to go for 3 weeks so this wasn't so bad and then you have to do it all over again to come home. We did this in August and the benefit to us was the weather, beach and the atmosphere - not my health !

To do this in April and only for 11 days would be, in my opinion, an horrendous holiday for all, let alone you as the driver.

As for the South of France in April - the weather isn't great and not too warm. I have looked up the weather at Bezier (Cap d'Agde) for the last 4 years and the average maximum temperature sometimes reaches the low 20's or below and the minimum about 10 degrees or below - now is that worth going all that way for, plus there still won't be much going on as they haven't woken up yet.

Alan

once again thanks for all the advice and tips over the last few days i have taken them on board and given some thought to changing my plans somewhat !! i am going to put the Spain trip on hold until next august (2016) when we will go for 3 weeks and spend 4 days getting there and 4 days back, i am going to change my plans for spring bank this year going to south of France (perpignan,beziers area)for 2 weeks but will spend 3 days getting there and 3 days back and average the mileage out to 350 miles per day and will add an extra week onto our 1 week trip to Cornwall in July as now not going at Easter !

john

Archived