HOW to insure rental motorhome

jeffo

Hi.

I am buying a motorhome. It is a 2013 7 berth model.

I am purchasing it on behalf of my company, which is "branching out" into hiring out the motorhome as a separate means of income. The motorhome will be hired out through agencies this coming season while I get to grips with the logistics of hiring it out.

In order to be able to claim VAT and Capital Gains I need the motorhome to be registered to the company and insured in the company name.

Has anyone done this? Does anyone know where I need to look to get company insurance for this sort of thing?

Guest Peter James

Welcome to the Forum.

With Capital Gains on a hired out motorhome I can see you are an Optimist 8-)

How are you at dealing with angry families waiting for a motorhome you have promised them to go on holiday, but the last hirer has brought back late or damaged?

For insurance, you just have to shop around brokers, or preferably insurance companies direct, to get a quote as you would with a private vehicle.

Good Luck :-D

Guest Peter James
PS: As this is high risk, like a boy racer insuring a fast car, the insurance will be harder to source than the vehicle, so I suggest you source the insurance first?

Not sure about UK, but when we hired in France some years back the insurance from the hirer did not cover damage to the motorhome roof or underside. It would be wise to read the scope of cover on offer very thoroughly for any such exclusions, as the cost of repairing these would then lie between you and the hirer - and the hirer may turn out to be the proverbial "man-of-straw". Have you considered approaching manufacturers to see what fleet type leasing arrangements they can offer? It seems the larger hire outfits have such arrangements. For the reason stated above having only one van is higher risk that having several. No backup if the van gets trashed.

Archived