Lake Garda - Italy

Trevor S

I have booked to go to Lake Garda in May for 4-5 weeks.

My first stop from Calais will be Ypres.

I have been looking at alternative routes and am undecided between 2 options.

I could either go via Lucerne and the Gottard Tunnel or via Innsbruch and the Brenner Pass.

I have a 3.85 tonne Autotrail so I know I would need a Go Box in Austria - I have been to Switzerland before so also know about the arrangements there for over 3.5 tonne vehicles.

So if anyone has done both routes which is preferable (and easier as I don't particularly like driving over the very narrow mountain roads?

Any advice please?

I have used the Brenner and the Resia passes. Getting a Go Box was easy (at the final motorway services in Germany) but getting rid to cash in the change was a real pain. Driving through Austria avoiding motorways is also a bit of a pain but not that bad, so overall I would do that and use the Resia Pass every time - so no GoBox, ordinary Austrian roads (OK) and fairly good progress anyway. The campsite at Mals, just inside Italy coming over the Resia, is very good and very handy. The road and the gradients using the Resia route are all easy enough - and we were towing a car on a trailer.

Archived