Best Europe Road Atlas

HymerVan

Looking to update my Europe Road Atlas (presently a Philips A3 2012). Keen to get most up to date from point of view of Road Number changes as we have found in the past that road numbers were out of date. I do understand the difference between road numbers and E-Routes and that France has undergone a major re-numbering exercise a year or three ago.

Any suggestions ?

We got a up to date French map while in France from one of the service stations on one of the motorways, very well detailed kind of like a good Ordnance Survey map but covers the whole of France. Its in the van and will post the name and price later when we open up our van. Don't think it cost too much for all the detail in it. Most maps are out of date by the time you get them LOL.

Spain is much worse than France for road numbers.

Thanks. Want an Atlas to cover most of Europe we probably won't be in France (much) this year target is Southern Italy via Ijmuiden/Switzerland.

Seems like not long ago when you could buy a good paper Esso map from a filling station for sixpence (2.5p)

Hi,

Funnily enough we've just replaced our old (2011) well thumbed Phillips MultiScale Europe A3 spiral atlas with their spiral A4 2015 version.

ISBN 978-1-84907-326-4

I now much prefer the A4 version as its more manageable in the cab and also particulary like the clear differentiation between toll and non toll roads. All E road are well marked as they were in the older book.

The spiral always seems to fare better that conventional bound atlases IMO.

Got mine from www.thebookpeople.co.uk for around a tenner although you could probably shop around for a better price on the web.

Pete

Individual ones for each country seem the best to me, what's available as a combined atlas is to compact and misses a great deal, they're only any good for route planning. I've got an old Les Routier from 1995 that's very good but they aren't available any more, continental truckers use them.

Books are heavy so I've started getting a bit selective about which atlases and maps I carry, especially as I've got more used to using the laptop for route planning. And with Three allowing free data roaming in more and more parts of Europe (Spain will be added from April) you can also use your smartphone to aid navigation too.

So we carry an all-Europe Road Atlas as the planning aid cum fallback these days and since satnav units have got so cheap, I even carry a spare Garmin Nuvi (£79, including lifetime European maps) in case the primary unit fails, which I can also use to display the turns in the road ahead, which is sometimes very useful.

I used to carry lots of Michelin Regional maps (the orange ones) which are wonderful for finding scenic routes but they now stay at home. I still carry a UK Road Atlas but it's pretty old and I probably won't renew it.

HymerVan

If you want another A3-size road atlas covering Europe, I think the choice is just between a 2015 Philip’s or a 2015 AA.

http://www.bookdepository.com/Philips-Multiscale-Europe-2015/9781849073257

http://shop.theaa.com/store/europe-1/aa-big-road-atlas-europe-2015

I doubt that one will be better than the other regarding road-numbering up-to-dateness. Hopefully, the major road-renumbering exercise that France began to implement in 2007 should be reflected in a 2015 atlas.

Archived