Hymer T652CL charging

mrw

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Richard.

Like my own Hobby motorhome the Hymer T652CL was based on a Ford Transit chassis where the starter-battery is (as you say) located beneath the driver’s cab-seat.

Accessing that battery is straightforward with a ‘commercial’ Transit, but becomes impracticable when (as with your Hymer and my Hobby) the motorhome manufacturer fits a swivel mechanism between the cab-seat and the seat pedestal. Reaching the battery to remove it or check its electrolyte-level (assuming this were possible) then means unbolting the swivel mechanism from the seat pedestal. Doing this may be difficult if the bolts/screws have been excessively tightened, and care needs to be taken as the seat + swivel is heavy and cumbersome.

I would have thought your Hymer has the capability to charge the starter-battery using the motorhome’s on-board battery-charger when the vehicle is connected to a 230V power source. And, of course, the starter-battery should receive charge from the vehicle’s alternator when driving.

If you want to charge the starter-battery using a separate battery-charger, you’ve got two choices. Either connect the charger to the ‘jump start’ connector in the engine compartment and to an earth point, or remove the driver’s cab-seat + swivel and connect the battery-charger directly to the starter-battery.

As I wanted to be able to charge my Hobby’s starter-battery with a separate battery-charger, I chose the 2nd method, removing the seat + swivel and then fitting connector cables to the battery that would permit me to use the charger subsequently after the seat + swivel had been replaced.

My Ctek charger came with a suitable cabling adapter (as shown here)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ctek-CTE-56261-Direct-Connector-Adaptor/dp/B002OHN5NQ

but it should be easy enough to DIY something similar.

Once the habitation battery is charged the Elektroblock will charge the engine battery. If the battery is flat it will take some time as the engine battery only gets a trickle charger a max of 6 amps.

Unless you need to charge the battery quickly the on board Elektroblock should take care of it.

Archived