Try-before-I-buy

Nick5912

Hi all.

New to the Motorhome scene and just looking for help and advice over the next year or so!!!

I retire in March '16 (yippee) and I am looking to buy a MH and tour Europe. In order to ensure it's not an error 'we' have decided to rent a Motorhome for 8 days and tour Scotland in Mid-May. Hopefully this will give us an insight into the world of motor-homing without the expense of spending £50k+ on a new MH only to find it's not for us.

With Scotland in mind. We pickup our rented home from Kelty, North of Edinburgh and would like to experience both 'wild camping' and the more formal sites. I have a rough route planned, Kelty-Glen Coe-Uig-Ullapool-Fort Augustus-Pitlochry-Kelty. As I say, just a rough route.

Having read some other threads some things you may want to know. I am 49, just me and the 'Missus' on the tour, hired MH is a Flash 04. I enjoy driving and have driven to Puglia in 2 days and had lots of driving experience on the continent (all-be-it in a car)!

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards,

Nick

Hi Nick and welcome to the forum.

When we got our MH Scotland was our first trip and we loved it and became addicted.

We travelled up the west coast from Fort William and found a good mix of wild camping and sites of different types, Some of the places we stayed at and loved were Big Sands, Red sands, Apple cross and Gairloch.

We did not book anything just stopped when we found somewhere we fancied. A memorable stop over was on the banks of Loch Ewe it was a wild area that is looked after by the local school and community there is an honesty box at the gate, they suggest a two pound donation. I can't remember the village name but if you drive up the southern most coast of the loch you will come across it.

I am sure you will have a great time, take your time and spend sometime on established campsite(s) getting to know the van before you go wild so you will have electric hook up and people around who can help you should you get stuck with anything. There is much to learn.

colin - 2015-01-18 8:45 PM

Just remember to stop and enjoy what you want when you want and not just clock up the miles for the sake of it.

Cheers Colin.

My other half already has this covered. She is well aware that I can happily drive for hours. She has already stipulated that maximum drive time is 2 1/2 hours, however if she likes somewhere then we are stopping!!!!

Before on our trips there have been deadlines and targets. This time we have no bookings or check-ins to make, so a more laidback approach is being taken.

Cliffy - 2015-01-18 8:50 PM

Hi Nick and welcome to the forum.

When we got our MH Scotland was our first trip and we loved it and became addicted.

We travelled up the west coast from Fort William and found a good mix of wild camping and sites of different types, Some of the places we stayed at and loved were Big Sands, Red sands, Apple cross and Gairloch.

We did not book anything just stopped when we found somewhere we fancied. A memorable stop over was on the banks of Loch Ewe it was a wild area that is looked after by the local school and community there is an honesty box at the gate, they suggest a two pound donation. I can't remember the village name but if you drive up the southern most coast of the loch you will come across it.

I am sure you will have a great time, take your time and spend sometime on established campsite(s) getting to know the van before you go wild so you will have electric hook up and people around who can help you should you get stuck with anything. There is much to learn.

Cheers Cliffy,

Thanks for the welcome and suggested stops. I have had a quick look on Google Maps and this is the area we are looking at.

As you suggested we will be stopping at established sites (possibly Monday and Thursday nights). This is more to get to grips with waste water management and suchlike.

As I said I retire early next year and our first journey will be to Crete! Best to find out we're not wired for Motor homing in the Highlands of Scotland than half way across Europe.

Cheers Nick

Nick, you have a year to decide, use the time well. We hired twice, did lots of research, then visited shows of all types, motorcycling, horses, etc; we knocked on doors and asked what the owners liked and disliked about their particular M/H. This took many years of assessing.

We liked our own interdependent space so decided on large separate beds, also enough room so one can read or write while the other sleeps or watches TV, and visa-versa. We both had opposite get-up times and go-to-bed times. Cooking could therefore take place while the other was sleeping. The space is limited so get that right at the outset. Making up beds every day was never our interest !

I'm very particular and did not look forward to up grading every few years as many do, (live in our house nearly 60 years) so you may guess by now that our choice was largish, a Rapido 987M. It suited all our needs perfectly. Driving was easy as was the living side.

Illness was the reason for sale. What would I choose now ... exactly the same ...

Many look upon their M/H as their dream, we do not, it was bought for a purpose and used in that manner. The cost was fairly unimportant, the experience was uppermost. If you're paranoid about finance then stay in hotels and look at scenic picture postcards, its cheaper.

I've only commented on the living space. My vehicle base would only ever be Mercedes or VW

Will

I think the village Cliffy is thinking of with the wild area by the loch is Poolewe. There is also a good Camping and Caravanning Club site just outside the village with a lovely outlook over the loch and all the usual facilities if it’s laundry time when you get there. Another good community site with a donations box is at Shieldaig, near Torridon, one of our favourite places. Ullapool has a good site, right in the town, but on the edge of the loch where you can see the ferries going off to the Western Isles.

Have a lovely time. We’ve been visiting Scotland for more than 40 years and never tire of it. I hope the weather is kind, but take clothes for all weathers - we’ve had all sorts.

To Mike88 - Midge season is July/August I'd say. We usually visit Scotland in May/June and September/October to avoid them.

Hi Nick,

Try-before-you-buy is definitely the way to go. We bought our first MH last September after, as I thought, carrying out a huge amount of research. We finally decided on a Hobby with a fixed bed but very quickly realised that it was not the ideal layout for us and are now in the process of changing to a British rear lounge model.

Had we hired before buying I think it is most unlikely that we would have got it so wrong, as do apparently a huge percentage of first timers.

Best of luck and I really hope you get it right first time.

Oh, and if anyone knows anybody wanting a nearly new fixed bed Hobby with a huge saving them I'm your man!!

Budgie823 - 2015-01-19 3:11 PM

Hi Nick,

Try-before-you-buy is definitely the way to go. We bought our first MH last September after, as I thought, carrying out a huge amount of research. We finally decided on a Hobby with a fixed bed but very quickly realised that it was not the ideal layout for us and are now in the process of changing to a British rear lounge model.

Had we hired before buying I think it is most unlikely that we would have got it so wrong, as do apparently a huge percentage of first timers.

Best of luck and I really hope you get it right first time.

Oh, and if anyone knows anybody wanting a nearly new fixed bed Hobby with a huge saving them I'm your man!!

Cheers Budgie,

I have been researching Motorhomes for a long time now. Visited shows, looked around a lot of vehicles and have a good idea of what we want. Based on this we are hiring a fixed bed Chausson Flash 04. May I ask what has put you off the fixed bed layout?

Regards,

Nick

brownsat259 - 2015-01-19 3:03 PM

I think the village Cliffy is thinking of with the wild area by the loch is Poolewe. There is also a good Camping and Caravanning Club site just outside the village with a lovely outlook over the loch and all the usual facilities if it’s laundry time when you get there. Another good community site with a donations box is at Shieldaig, near Torridon, one of our favourite places. Ullapool has a good site, right in the town, but on the edge of the loch where you can see the ferries going off to the Western Isles.

Have a lovely time. We’ve been visiting Scotland for more than 40 years and never tire of it. I hope the weather is kind, but take clothes for all weathers - we’ve had all sorts.

To Mike88 - Midge season is July/August I'd say. We usually visit Scotland in May/June and September/October to avoid them.

Thanks for the information. This is definitely the area we are looking at and it's great to hear such positive reviews. We are not planning any stops but more of an ad hoc approach when we are in the region.

It's good to have some idea of places we could stop.

Regards,

Nick

The fixed bed has obvious benefits Nick which are great but the downside for us has been the general lack of space during the day hours, especially when we are not out and about.

By trying the Chausson out you should very quickly know if that layout is right for you.

Cheers,

Budgie

markh1 - 2015-01-19 10:11 AM

Remember to buy some Avon Skin So Soft, it'll help stop the midges eating you alive!

The Midges, will not fly in any type of breeze, and are 'active' from mid May onwards depending on how warm it is. Worse close to water (darn it !) and damp boggy areas. Yes, Avon Skin So Soft is a good one (the Avon Ladies must be millionaires in Scotland !). and most places will stock it. It does work, i even rubbed some onto the dog when she was getting badly bothered by them, it worked like magic.

Enjoy your trip, I recommend going across the Corran Ferry to Ardgour,( 10 mins)South of Fort William, then down to Lochaline, then perhaps across the ferry to Mull, not very expensive that way. £6 + £ 12-16. ferry costs. Lots and lots of Wild Camping spots once over the Corran ferry, You could spend a whole month just exploring Ardgour,Morvern and Ardnurmurchan. Don't be afraid of the single track roads, they are fine.(just drive at a reasonable speed) and observe the local etiquette.

Have a Great Time !

Ray

ps, my favourite place on Earth, after Wales !

The fixed bed has obvious benefits Nick which are great but the downside for us has been the general lack of space during the day hours, especially when we are not out and about.

By trying the Chausson out you should very quickly know if that layout is right for you.

Cheers,

Budgie

Rayjsj - 2015-01-19 4:21 PM

markh1 - 2015-01-19 10:11 AM

Remember to buy some Avon Skin So Soft, it'll help stop the midges eating you alive!

The Midges, will not fly in any type of breeze, and are 'active' from mid May onwards depending on how warm it is. Worse close to water (darn it !) and damp boggy areas. Yes, Avon Skin So Soft is a good one (the Avon Ladies must be millionaires in Scotland !). and most places will stock it. It does work, i even rubbed some onto the dog when she was getting badly bothered by them, it worked like magic.

Enjoy your trip, I recommend going across the Corran Ferry to Ardgour,( 10 mins)South of Fort William, then down to Lochaline, then perhaps across the ferry to Mull, not very expensive that way. £6 + £ 12-16. ferry costs. Lots and lots of Wild Camping spots once over the Corran ferry, You could spend a whole month just exploring Ardgour,Morvern and Ardnurmurchan. Don't be afraid of the single track roads, they are fine.(just drive at a reasonable speed) and observe the local etiquette.

Have a Great Time !

Ray

ps, my favourite place on Earth, after Wales !

Cheers Ray,

Thanks for the tips. I will look into all you have listed and see where it could fit into our itinery.

Regards,

Nick

Just had a thought about our trip up the west coast.

If you like driving and fancy a challenge go to Applecross in a northern direction over the Coffin Pass if you just want to see the view from the top with a much gentler climb travel south out of Applecross. I have been over quite a few passes in the Alps and the Dolomites in the motorhome but none compared to the road up to Applecross. Well the Plocken Pass from Italy to Austria may have come near.

Cliffy - 2015-01-19 7:31 PM

Just had a thought about our trip up the west coast.

If you like driving and fancy a challenge go to Applecross in a northern direction over the Coffin Pass if you just want to see the view from the top with a much gentler climb travel south out of Applecross. I have been over quite a few passes in the Alps and the Dolomites in the motorhome but none compared to the road up to Applecross. Well the Plocken Pass from Italy to Austria may have come near.

The 'Direct Route' is called Belach-Na-Bah (or something like that) it means 'Pass of the Cattle' in Gaelic. And is well named,as nothing other than cattle should be allowed up it, BUT they are.

I have been Down it, Once, in a motorhome, but never up it, I always took the 'Long' way around to Applecross, (which is quite 'Hairy' in places, especially towing a caravan,as i was the first time !)

BUT, the journey is well worth the trouble, the Applecross campsite is good too, serving Venison 'Burgers' in their cafe, And Red Deer are often walking on the site. And a very beautiful Place looking across Raasay to Skye.

Ray

Nick,

Some good suggestions but don't forget you're testing the van and yourselves (2) to cope with unknown situations and not the scenery ! (that will always be there). You'll be spending more time in the van than outside.

Adjusting to a minimum living space can take time particularly if its wet and windy. Maintaining a level head in difficult surrounding can be trying. It would be advisable to choose a solid organised site for at least the first night away.

Positioning any van on solid foundations can be quite different to searching for a dry patch where nothing is level and soft spots are waiting to trap you.

When you return tell us the results.. Have fun there's a lot to learn.

Will

MaureenHB - 2015-01-20 9:39 AM

As a newbie too I have been most impressed by a Facebook Group called campervan overnight parking, lots of ideas for wild camping/ pub overnight stops.

I hope they have crossed North Berwick off their lists, as it's now ILLEGAL, to stay overnight on their car parks, further restrictions all over the Uk continue apace, still perhaps midge infested Scotland will escape the worst of the restrictions.

A new bylaw will mean that anyone found in their vehicle in these car parks between 11pm and 6am will be assumed to be using it for overnight camping unless they can prove otherwise. Those violating the bylaw face a fine of up to £500.

I'm afraid you're wrong, there is no bylaw or fine, the signs are to scare you off but have no basis in law, when asked about the signs East Lothian Council replied as follows:

31st October 2014

Our Ref: 2014/966(7028)

Your Ref:

Dear Mr Thompson

FREEDOM OF INFORMATION (SCOTLAND) ACT 2002

ENVIRONMENTAL INFORMATION REGULATIONS 2004

Further to your enquiry, I can confirm that at present, there are no bylaws or regulations to enforce the signs.

Yours sincerely

Dr Renate Gertz

Data Protection & Freedom of Information Compliance Officer

Licensing, Administration & Democratic Services

East Lothian Council

John Gray Centre

15 Lodge Street

Haddington

EH41 3DX

( 01620 827993

email: rgertz@eastlothian.gov.uk

I live in North Berwick and people are still wild camping, it was all about stuck up locals and a particular local councillor

Will85 - 2015-01-20 10:54 AM

Nick,

Some good suggestions but don't forget you're testing the van and yourselves (2) to cope with unknown situations and not the scenery ! (that will always be there). You'll be spending more time in the van than outside.

Adjusting to a minimum living space can take time particularly if its wet and windy. Maintaining a level head in difficult surrounding can be trying. It would be advisable to choose a solid organised site for at least the first night away.

Positioning any van on solid foundations can be quite different to searching for a dry patch where nothing is level and soft spots are waiting to trap you.

Will

Will,

Once again sound advice from an experienced man.

With regard to the living in close proximity. We have in the past only been able to afford a tent for touring holidays (usually Wales or Devon/Cornwall), so we are used to each others company in such an environment and are only too aware that we will be inside more than outside the MH.

We are still sorting out a confirmed route and have decided to follow your advice and stay on an established site on our first night (somewhere near Glen Coe/Fort William).

Be sure that there will be a thread highlighting our experiences sometime late May.

Regards,

Nick

Nick5912 - 2015-01-20 2:35 PM

Will85 - 2015-01-20 10:54 AM

Nick,

Will

Will,

Once again sound advice from an experienced man.

With regard to the living in close proximity. We have in the past only been able to afford a tent for touring holidays (usually Wales or Devon/Cornwall), so we are used to each others company in such an environment and are only too aware that we will be inside more than outside the MH.

We are still sorting out a confirmed route and have decided to follow your advice and stay on an established site on our first night (somewhere near Glen Coe/Fort William).

Be sure that there will be a thread highlighting our experiences sometime late May.

Regards,

Nick

We stayed on this site in 2010 and it was great http://www.glen-nevis.co.uk/caravans. It is at the foot of Ben Nevis a shortish walk from Fort William. (We cycled it )

I notice it has been voted the Trip Advisor best site in Scotland 2014. It is well deserved

Archived