CTek battery charger - cigarette lighter/12v socket

julesnalice

If you go onto ctek website you'll find they do all manner of different connections. I have a permanent connection from battery ending in a led (red:amber:green) status socket that you plug your charger into as required.Check prices, I bought mine from Amazon once I found out what I wanted. Saves all the hassle as my led status socket is mounted in dash, winter time I leave charger plugged into socket and plugged into mains in van. I switch power on when indicators show amber.

julesnalice

I believe your 2013 Peugeot Boxer will have the same dashboard-socket arrangement as a similar-vintage Fiat Ducato.

There will be two adjacent sockets, the rightmost to accept a cigar-lighter ‘button’ and the leftmost ‘power socket’ with a cover marked “MAX 180W”. Each socket will be individually fused - a 10A fuse for the cigar-lighter socket and a 15A fuse for the power-socket.

As paulmold advises, neither socket will be live with the vehicle’s ignition-key removed or in its “OFF” position. To make the sockets live, the ignition-key must be inserted and turned to its “MAR” position.

However (as Wallynnette says) you’d probably be better to provide the charger with a direct connection to the starter-battery, rather than alter a dashboard-socket's wiring to make it permanently live. My own Ctek charger came with a “Comfort Connect Eyelet”

http://www.ctek.com/mt/en/accessories/

that allows the charger to be connected to the battery very easily.

In this 2013 MHFacts discussion it’s said that the onboard charging system used in Bailey motorhomes only charges the leisure-battery

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-144864-days0-orderasc-0.html

This is a mite surprising for a modern motorhome (though commonplace in the past) but, from what you want to do, I guess it’s correct.

Alternatives to using a separate charger are mentioned, with the simplest (and cheapest) involving fitting a ‘bridging-fuse’.

http://www.motts.org/BRIDGING%20FUSE.htm

How easy it would be to wire in a bridging-fuse, or to implement any of the other ‘battery-linked-to-battery’ suggestions, would largely depend on where in the motorhome Bailey has fitted the leisure-battery.

Agree with Derek would probably be easier to use Clive's bridging fuse method and as the starter battery is under the floor in the cab easy to get at for the wiring and will only cost a few pence.

I do find it unbelievable that a modern van does not charge the starter battery, penny pinching gone too far.

As the battery is under the cab floor, there's no need to have the ctek under the bonnet, connect the red and black leads of the ctek lead to the battery terminals and they are long enough for the wee orange plug to be outside of the battery box, them simply lift the edge of the carpet and plug it in, as my MH is garaged I close the cab door on the cable, don't worry it wont damage it, and plug the ctek in to an extension lead, I have also,when on EHU for a long time, used it to top up the starter battery by plugging it into one of the 3 pin mains sockets in the MH

Archived