New "All the Aires" Edition 5 Thoughts?.

Curtisden

Guest Had Enough
Joe90 - 2015-01-20 8:56 PM

Had Enough - 2015-01-20 8:20 PM

Joe90 - 2015-01-20 7:36 PM

So in short you were there for five days, filled up on day one, but only attempted to fill up again when completely empty. :D

sorry but if that's not dumb I don't know what is. :D

I'm logging off now, thanks for the laugh. ;-)

Where did I say I was completely empty, and what difference would it have made if I was half full? I'd still have had to wait half an hour for the borne.

Are you OK? You're not taking things in these days. I really don't understand your logic here, does anyone else?

I'm back, so you said further up the thread quote

"One morning I really needed water"

Your words not mine. I think anyone with a half a brain would concede that sounds as if you REALLY did need water...... :D

Oh I forgot that's what you did say. :D

Here's that tip again, don't leave it so long next time. ;-)

And I really am logging off now for the night, if you want any more tips PM me, I'll check my inbox tomorrow.

I really needed water as I was down to twenty litres or so and I shower every day, at least once. Twenty litres isn't enough.

But you still haven't explained what that has to do with it. If I was half full the delay at the borne would have been the same.

And here's tip that you may not have worked out. It you drive to a borne and fill up when your tank's half full you're making twice as many journeys than if you fill up when it's almost empty. So at a busy borne you can be spending ages everyday instead of every other day. As I said, it's not rocket science, although for you it clearly is!

Do you stop and fill your diesel tank when it's half full or do you wait until it's on the beginning of the reserve and only have to fill up every four hundred miles instead of every 200 or so?

So come on, what difference would it have made to my wait at the borne? I'm not expecting an answer as you've ignored the question once so it's obvious you haven't got one!

You really do seem to be slowing down these days. Not early onset dementia I hope?

We too are not convinced by the larger format which makes storage that little bit less flexible, although the full size map being the same size as before but seemingly printed on a thicker paper should work just as well as before and hopefully be a little more durable - time will tell.

We're not convinced on the value of the smaller maps at each end of the books either although I guess they do allow you to more easily see roughly where you are and in which area when you stop to look to find a suitable stop over.

We too prefer the smaller book size as it is more suitable for on the lap or dash top travel and from the comparisons of known Aires made so far it seems that for us at least the information shown in the previous book was sufficient to identify and navigate to any suitable Aire and did not need elaborating at the cost of two large books with no overlap of areas.

Nevertheless it is evident that a lot of hard work has gone into 'improving' this guide and the team at Vicarious have, as ever, done a pretty thorough job - hopefully if enough people pass sensible comments any perceived improvements wished for by enough users may be incorporated next time - we shall see!

Such a shame then that the unpleasantness of egos had to erupt and disrupt a sensible thread yet again.

Gwendolyn - 2015-01-20 10:36 PM

You really do seem to be slowing down these days. Not early onset dementia I hope?

That is an un-gentlemanly and utterly distasteful remark.

For shame.

Gwen

Yes but classic example of why this forum is so poor nowadays. As bad as each other .....

Had Enough - 2015-01-20 9:27 PM

Joe90 - 2015-01-20 8:56 PM

Had Enough - 2015-01-20 8:20 PM

Joe90 - 2015-01-20 7:36 PM

So in short you were there for five days, filled up on day one, but only attempted to fill up again when completely empty. :D

sorry but if that's not dumb I don't know what is. :D

I'm logging off now, thanks for the laugh. ;-)

Where did I say I was completely empty, and what difference would it have made if I was half full? I'd still have had to wait half an hour for the borne.

Are you OK? You're not taking things in these days. I really don't understand your logic here, does anyone else?

I'm back, so you said further up the thread quote

"One morning I really needed water"

Your words not mine. I think anyone with a half a brain would concede that sounds as if you REALLY did need water...... :D

Oh I forgot that's what you did say. :D

Here's that tip again, don't leave it so long next time. ;-)

And I really am logging off now for the night, if you want any more tips PM me, I'll check my inbox tomorrow.

I really needed water as I was down to twenty litres or so and I shower every day, at least once. Twenty litres isn't enough.

But you still haven't explained what that has to do with it. If I was half full the delay at the borne would have been the same.

And here's tip that you may not have worked out. It you drive to a borne and fill up when your tank's half full you're making twice as many journeys than if you fill up when it's almost empty. So at a busy borne you can be spending ages everyday instead of every other day. As I said, it's not rocket science, although for you it clearly is!

Do you stop and fill your diesel tank when it's half full or do you wait until it's on the beginning of the reserve and only have to fill up every four hundred miles instead of every 200 or so?

So come on, what difference would it have made to my wait at the borne? I'm not expecting an answer as you've ignored the question once so it's obvious you haven't got one!

I wont stoop to personal comments, this is so simple and yet you still wriggle, if you were NOT desperate for water there would have been no need to wait or complain about doing so, if waiting was such a bain you could have easily found another borne enroute, as I recall you were leaving that morning, so presumably you had done all your ablutions, or you could have kept an eye on your water levels, then filled when there wasn't a queue, or filled at a time that didn't involve a wait as you'd already managed to do on arrival, the bottom line is you left it for days before REALLY ( there's your word again ) needing water, then vented your ire about waiting on here.

How I manage my tanks means I never find myself REALLY needing water, nor REALLY needing diesel, because as strange as it may seen to you, I never get myself in that position to start with, you did.

still if you run out of diesel sometime by relying purely on the reserve indicator, and end up running on fumes and can't find a service station before running out, lets hope when they do tow you off to one you don't have to wait there as well ;-)

night night.

Guest Had Enough
Joe90 - 2015-01-20 11:30 PM

I wont stoop to personal comments, this is so simple and yet you still wriggle, if you were NOT desperate for water there would have been no need to wait or complain about doing so, if waiting was such a bain you could have easily found another borne enroute, as I recall you were leaving that morning, so presumably you had done all your ablutions, or you could have kept an eye on your water levels, then filled when there wasn't a queue, or filled at a time that didn't involve a wait as you'd already managed to do on arrival, the bottom line is you left it for days before REALLY ( there's your word again ) needing water, then vented your ire about waiting on here.

How I manage my tanks means I never find myself REALLY needing water, nor REALLY needing diesel, because as strange as it may seen to you, I never get myself in that position to start with, you did.

still if you run out of diesel sometime by relying purely on the reserve indicator, and end up running on fumes and can't find a service station before running out, lets hope when they do tow you off to one you don't have to wait there as well ;-)

night night.

You won't stoop to personal comments? Good one! :D

No I wasn't leaving that morning, where did you get that from? All I did was mention that the problem with aires is that you sometimes have to queue for a long time at the single borne.

You seem to find that odd. If my tank had been half full I'd still have had to wait the same length of time. Yes, I could have gone away and come back later, but then I'd have had less water and it still may have had people queuing.

The borne is quite a distance from the aire and can't be seen so I'd have had to drive to the borne. Oh dear, it's still busy, I'll come back yet again!

What is that you can't understand? I do worry about you. All I did was mention a snag with aires and you're doing everything you can to deny the obvious. You really are odd.

Of course the reason is obvious. You like aires and you just can't stand the fact that someone has pointed out a huge flaw with some of them. I wouldn't have had this problem on a campsite, where I can top up every day without even moving the 'van. You know that and you hate the fact that sites are better than aires. Get over it for God's sake.

I mention my problem with a long wait for water and suddenly I'm accused of constantly moaning, when it's you that drags it up time after time! And you're the man who never stops moaning. Have you read some of your post on motorhoming in the UK lately! God, you're like an old woman and you have the nerve to accuse others.

So, once more, what difference would it have made if my tank was half full, would that have reduced my waiting time? Going away and coming back might have ended up taking even longer.

So it appears that you do fill up your diesel tank when it's only half empty then? You worry about showers and public lavatories and now you're worried about running out of fuel where there's a fuel station every ten miles and your reserve tank gives you about sixty. God, you're a nervous man! You poor dear.

Here's another tip. When the needle gets to the reserve mark, you've lots of time to fill up. You're in France or the UK for crying out loud, not the Sahara. Why stop every 200 miles when you can stop every four hundred? You're a very strange man.

Guest Had Enough
Gwendolyn - 2015-01-20 10:36 PM

That is an un-gentlemanly and utterly distasteful remark.

For shame.

Gwen

For God's sake! This is Joe90/Onefootinthe grave. The rudest and nastiest troll this site has ever known. And he seems to have a bit of a problem understanding the simplest arguments. Or he refuses to understand them to prolong them.

Your faux shock horror fools no one! Go back and read his comments to me before coming across all Mrs Slocombe.

Guest Had Enough
arthur49 - 2015-01-20 10:51 PM

Yes but classic example of why this forum is so poor nowadays. As bad as each other .....

At least you're even handed, unlike Mrs Thingy and her indignation.

Had Enough - 2015-01-20 11:59 PM

Joe90 - 2015-01-20 11:30 PM

night night.

You won't stoop to personal comments? Good one! :D

No I wasn't leaving that morning, where did you get that from? All I did was mention that the problem with aires is that you sometimes have to queue for a long time at the single borne.

You seem to find that odd. If my tank had been half full I'd still have had to wait the same length of time. Yes, I could have gone away and come back later, but then I'd have had less water and it still may have had people queuing.

The borne is quite a distance from the aire and can't be seen so I'd have had to drive to the borne. Oh dear, it's still busy, I'll come back yet again!

What is that you can't understand? I do worry about you. All I did was mention a snag with aires and you're doing everything you can to deny the obvious. You really are odd.

Of course the reason is obvious. You like aires and you just can't stand the fact that someone has pointed out a huge flaw with some of them. I wouldn't have had this problem on a campsite, where I can top up every day without even moving the 'van. You know that and you hate the fact that sites are better than aires. Get over it for God's sake.

I mention my problem with a long wait for water and suddenly I'm accused of constantly moaning, when it's you that drags it up time after time! And you're the man who never stops moaning. Have you read some of your post on motorhoming in the UK lately! God, you're like an old woman and you have the nerve to accuse others.

So, once more, what difference would it have made if my tank was half full, would that have reduced my waiting time? Going away and coming back might have ended up taking even longer.

So it appears that you do fill up your diesel tank when it's only half empty then? You worry about showers and public lavatories and now you're worried about running out of fuel where there's a fuel station every ten miles and your reserve tank gives you about sixty. God, you're a nervous man! You poor dear.

Here's another tip. When the needle gets to the reserve mark, you've lots of time to fill up. You're in France or the UK for crying out loud, not the Sahara. Why stop every 200 miles when you can stop every four hundred? You're a very strange man.

Well perhaps I'm certainly as strange as someone that runs out of water, then complains because of a short wait, the same kind of wait that can often occur at a CCC, or CC club site when there is usually only one dedicated motorhome service / or drive over waste point........ ;-) or none at all as we found at Brecon CC club site ;-)

Guest Had Enough
Joe90 - 2015-01-21 10:11 AM

Well perhaps I'm certainly as strange as someone that runs out of water, then complains because of a short wait, the same kind of wait that can often occur at a CCC, or CC club site when there is usually only one dedicated motorhome service / or drive over waste point........ ;-) or none at all as we found at Brecon CC club site ;-)

If you consider half an hour a short wait then that's fine. I think it's a long time. When on a proper site I fill up daily using two watering cans. There's always a tap within a few yards. It takes me ten minutes a day to top up and to empty waste. On most sites you can see the motorhome service point and if you want to use that, nip over when it's empty. On my German aire it was two hundred yards outside the site.

I was out most of the day (from noon) and all night at a trade fair or dining. My only window for filling up was in the morning and I left it until after 1100 in the hope it might be quiet. It wasn't. Whilst I was waiting two passing hire 'vans came along, gave up and drove off.

I would never have had this problem on a site. I mentioned this not to complain but in a debate on aires. I simply pointed out that a single borne on an aire for dozens of 'vans can be very inconvenient.

You like aires and for some reason you feel the need to defend them and constantly denigrate me because I happened to mention that a thirty minute wait for water is inconvenient.

I needed water, I went to the borne, it was busy and I had to wait half an hour to fill up. I couldn't go elsewhere as there wasn't anywhere and I didn't have the time to go driving round Germany. What did I do wrong that you wouldn't have done?

I shall do what I should have done yesterday and leave you to it. You obviously enjoy stringing out threads with specious and pointless argument. Do it with someone else from now on.

Had Enough - 2015-01-21 10:32 AM

Joe90 - 2015-01-21 10:11 AM

If you consider half an hour a short wait then that's fine. I think it's a long time. When on a proper site I fill up daily using two watering cans. There's always a tap within a few yards. It takes me ten minutes a day to top up and to empty waste. On most sites you can see the motorhome service point and if you want to use that, nip over when it's empty. On my German aire it was two hundred yards outside the site.

I was out most of the day (from noon) and all night at a trade fair or dining. My only window for filling up was in the morning and I left it until after 1100 in the hope it might be quiet. It wasn't. Whilst I was waiting two passing hire 'vans came along, gave up and drove off.

I would never have had this problem on a site. I mentioned this not to complain but in a debate on aires. I simply pointed out that a single borne on an aire for dozens of 'vans can be very inconvenient.

You like aires and for some reason you feel the need to defend them and constantly denigrate me because I happened to mention that a thirty minute wait for water is inconvenient.

I needed water, I went to the borne, it was busy and I had to wait half an hour to fill up. I couldn't go elsewhere as there wasn't anywhere and I didn't have the time to go driving round Germany. What did I do wrong that you wouldn't have done?

I shall do what I should have done yesterday and leave you to it. You obviously enjoy stringing out threads with specious and pointless argument. Do it with someone else from now on.

I'll explain ... What he means is he's contributed in his usual rude , aggressive manner and caused another thread to end up in a bitchfest ... Now bored he's moved on to another thread in his usual aggressive manner and so on and so on

Not after an argument and won't reply xx

Guest Had Enough
antony1969 - 2015-01-21 11:51 AM

I'll explain ... What he means is he's contributed in his usual rude , aggressive manner and caused another thread to end up in a bitchfest ... Now bored he's moved on to another thread in his usual aggressive manner and so on and so on

And you've no axe to grind have you? :D

Read post number 6 where Joe90 started this by having a go at me. Then again, you were never one to let fairness influence your closed little mind.

You really ought to stay in Chatterbox moaning about Muslims. Do you actually own a motorhome? I don't recollect you ever contributing anything useful in this section. ;-)

I must admit though that you're good at nasty little posts like the last one, where you just pop in to attack someone or make snide remarks. And if you don't want an argument you hypocritical idiot, why have you tried to start one?

Had Enough - 2015-01-21 11:59 AM

antony1969 - 2015-01-21 11:51 AM

And you've no axe to grind have you? :D

Read post number 6 where Joe90 started this by having a go at me. Then again, you were never one to let fairness influence your closed little mind.

You really ought to stay in Chatterbox moaning about Muslims. Do you actually own a motorhome? I don't recollect you ever contributing anything useful in this section. ;-)

I must admit though that you're good at nasty little posts like the last one, where you just pop in to attack someone or make snide remarks.

Can I remind everyone that the tread is about the new 5 th. edition of "All the Aires" its change in design size and if its is an improvement?

Guest Had Enough
lennyhb - 2015-01-21 12:02 PM

Too true Antony, he is only pleasant when he is gaining info, rest of the time just ramming his opinion down others throats and of course worshiping his God the CC.

And you've no axe to grind either have you. I'm sorry I embarrassed you the other day by dragging up that post which totally contradicted your claim that you don't use toll roads because you really enjoy slogging around France's congested cities. Try to get over it! ;-)

And I don't worship the CC, I just object to people like you who make vindictive and totally untrue claims about it and its staff.

If you're not careful I'll use the search facility again! :D

Guest Had Enough
Curtisden - 2015-01-21 12:04 PM

Can I remind everyone that the tread is about the new 5 th. edition of "All the Aires" its change in design size and if its is an improvement?

Regrettably, there a few people on here who can't resist trying to settle old scores, as we've just seen.

Had Enough - 2015-01-21 12:08 PM

Curtisden - 2015-01-21 12:04 PM

Regrettably, there a few people on here who can't resist trying to settle old scores, as we've just seen.

Not to mention one who can't seem to stop himself resorting to personalised criticism and insult rather than focus on the issues.

Just a personal observation, but I was a little dismayed when the vicarious books publication first came out, prior to that I only very rarely came across other Brits using Aires. ;-)

Apparently a French publisher is now planning a UK aires publication for the French motorhome users,

it's on the back of a postcard. :D

Not a real fan of The All the Aires books but this new edition does sound a little more comprehensive so think will order a copy, but Le Guide National de Aires de Service, will remain our main book. This together with info from the two main French web sites, campingcar-infos and i-campingcar provide info on most Aires. Add helpful comments from most on here regarding Aires visited and what more do you need? Frank is right, for example to point out that the aire at St Jean de Luz is maybe the worst aire in France and best avoided, but luckily the number of Aires that are a pleasure to stay on far outweigh examples such as this.

Curtisden - 2015-01-21 5:56 PM

Whats wrong with that?

Just what some like.

Friendly.

But not me.

That's St Jean de Luz..............probably one of the worst Aires if anyone intended to stay the night, sandwiched as it is between the main road and the railway.......... But let's keep this in perspective, a dedicated free parking area right in the town, that facilitates a day visit, if used for that what's to complain about

we left later and not many miles from St Jean de Luz on going up towards D'Ibardin we stayed here, and stocked up on some very cheap alcohol from the mountain top supermarkets and filled with cheap Spanish diesel because it's the Spanish / French border up there, an experience not to be missed, ;-)

1367591984_Aire2013trip.jpg.f3cffbc9bece7dc5088e7ba7154de4cf.jpg

Archived