Cycle rack

Pete-B

Hi,

Behind our motorhome I tow a 5' x 4' camping trailer which has a solid flat lid. I would like to mount a purpose built two bike cycle rack on top of the lid. The trailer itself has lots of payload to spare so this would save a few kilo's of the vans at the same time. It would also make it easier for me to load the bikes, (the bike rack on the van is quite high) and I'm not the tallest person on earth. I also keep the trailer in my garage so I would be able to load it the night before and just hitch the morning we go

For various reasons I don't want to bolt the rack lengthways ie front to back I would like to fix it across the trailer so in effect the two bikes would be facing the same way as if they were on the vans rack.

The only problem that I can see is, when the bikes are on the rack they would, in effect, be 5", each side, wider than the overhaul width of the trailer. They would still of course be a lot less than the width of the towing vehicle ie the van.

My question is, by transporting the bikes in this way would I be breaking any laws because, in effect, the trailers load is wider than the trailer itself.

I would very much appreciate any advice from anyone particularly if you have any knowledge of the law in this matter.

Pete-B - 2015-01-19 7:54 PM

For various reasons I don't want to bolt the rack lengthways ie front to back I would like to fix it across the trailer so in effect the two bikes would be facing the same way as if they were on the vans rack.

Sorry Pete but I've got to ask, Why do you NOT want to put them on lengthways? Surely it would make putting them on easier and mean you hadn't got to worry about sideways overhang.

And what kind of rack do you plan to use?

Keith.

Hi John,

Thanks for that.

Keith, The rack I've got is, or was, a Atera two bike rack which originally had a two bar fitting. I took the tow bar section and lighting off to leave me with just the skeleton rack with all the clamps in place but I can replace these items should I want to in future.

I then bolted four strong multi bolt brackets on and then bolted the lot to the roof of the trailer. It was originally fitted length-ways ie front to back but whilst travelling I could see via the rear view camera that the cross winds and bumps in road were really buffeting the bikes. In fairness they where probably quite safe but you know what it's like when you're not sure I was checking the camera monitor every few minutes.

I think I have now solved the problem. or my missus has, it takes someone who doesn't know a nut from a bolt to walk in the garage and come up with the obvious. She said " why don't you clamp the bikes to the frame and then lie the frame on it's back and then strap it down with your heavy duty tie downs.

Doesn't it just make you sick, after lying awake at night trying to solve this problem the old Duchess walks in and comes up with bl**ding obvious, bless her.

Archived