Escaping winter

MISTRELYN

I think a lot of us think the same mid winter sitting here in the UK, personally my preferred option would be a longish apartment hire and a cheap flight, driving all that way mid winter is no walk in the park inland France and Spain can be bitterly cold, and you've got some serious driving to do to get to some sun, but that's just my opinion. ;-)

Loads of folk do exactly what you plan. We should now be in Spain right now but family matters mean we're still here!

We have often left the UK immediately after Xmas and are in Spain in 4/5days. Sure you can have a few cold days, but once south of the Gironde, no real probs. Just generally don't bother with Portugal until into Feb, don't forget its on the Atlantic and can be cold/wet, howeversome winters its not too bad.

Guest Had Enough

We go every winter to Spain or Portugal and even Morocco once. I don't mind the driving but we always use motorways and don't mind paying tolls for an easy and relaxing drive.

I certainly wouldn't want to rent an apartment and be stuck in one place for several weeks as we like wandering around, and if I were really desperate for some sun and wanted to fly it wouldn't be Spain. The Canaries or Caribbean would make more sense as, although it can be warmish on the Med in January or February, it's never really hot.

The critical factor is time of course. If you're going away for several weeks the five days driving each way isn't a problem, but if you've only about three weeks it doesn't leave you much time at your destination.

We've a lot going on at home and can never get away for more than five weeks at a time but we find that works for us. 35 days' holiday, of which ten days is spent driving through England, France and Spain leaving well over three weeks to enjoy touring.

You appear to be going for even longer so you should be fine. If you're prepared to stay on one site for some weeks you can get quite low prices, as long as you don't mind being in what may be Little England. Even moving around as we do, site prices are quite reasonable in winter with ACSI or Camping Cheque.

Guest pelmetman

Hola .............Currently sat in "Calpe On Sea", in the sun B-).............Although it rained yesterday 8-) ..............

It was the first rain we've had since arriving on the Med on the 1st Jan ;-).............

If like us you purely want to avoid the miserable UK winter, then your best option is the stretch of Spanish Costa 's South of Valencia. It seems that every European OAP with a motorhome or caravan heads here :D .......

Although it's busy there is usually somewhere where you can get in, or do as many do just wild camp.

We've done the touring bit and now just come here to veg out, so book well ahead for the site we like ;-).....

Our site is in the middle of a lovely Spanish town, 5mins walk from the prom, we're paying the long term rate of over 90 days at 12.50€ + leccy which is currently working out at 15.50€ a night or £11.90 at current exchange rates, for a decent size pitch with individual water tap and drainage, excellent showers without the annoying push button :-> , onsite restaurant/bar, entertainment once a week and a swimming pool.

Cost of living is much cheaper than the UK, a 3 course meal with half a bottle of wine will cost 14.90€ (£11.40) in a restaurant on the prom, and they get cheaper in town ;-) ..............

Over the last 4 years we have had sometime in Spain & Portugal over the December & January periods with 3 trips of 6 weeks each down into Spain and the first one was a month in an apartment in the Algarve. All went great, yes the drive down and back is not fantastic but we still enjoy most of it as usually its very light on traffic and we take our time not using many toll roads.

All four trips have been good value but if we only had 3 or 4 weeks I think a flight and car hire plus a apartment would be the way to go but any longer the van wins by a mile.

You have to use aires, wild camp or use the French Passion as most if not all campsite in France are shut in the winter but we enjoy this part and its free.

Have fun its worth the effort. B-)

Guest Had Enough
markh1 - 2015-01-20 1:42 PM

Remember you don't have to drive through France at all, you can sail from Portsmouth to Santander or Bilbao and then cross Spain to be on the med coast in under a day

Are we on the same planet? First of all the ferries often dock at about lunchtime and often later. Malaga for instance is 600 miles from Santander. One day's driving? Oh come on!

If I go to Portsmouth I have to go the day before and waste hours overnighting on the docks. From leaving home to the Med takes exactly the same number of days as driving and using the Chunnel.

Tunnel - Leave Monday, use Chunnel, get a few miles under our belt in France.

Tuesday - Drive to about Bordeaux.

Wednesday - Drive to Palencia

Thursday - Drive to Caceres

Friday, drive to Med.

Long Ferry

Monday - Drive to Portsmouth, overnight at docks.

Tuesday - Board ferry about noon.

Wednesday - Arrive about noon in Santander. By the time I've disembarked and recovered from sea sickness in violent winter weather we used to get to Palencia.

Thursday - Palencia to Caceres.

Time to Caceres, four days, same as driving.

The Bay of Biscay in winter can be a terrible place. If you're immune to sea sickness and hate driving use the ferry but please, it's no quicker!

Hi,

Lots of sound advice on the previous posts.

If you have not done continental trips before a few points that might help.

Fuel in France is usually far cheaper in the supermarkets, Lidl, Intermarche, Super U. and others, lots of places to download their location on the web, sure someone will be along soon to point you in the right place.

McDonalds is very useful to get free WiFi on the road if you have not got paid access, also their locations can be downloaded before the off, very useful for getting weather forecasts for the next section of your trip.

Unless your preference is for campsites only, ( a great many of which will be closed at this time of year) a guide such as the All the Aires guide from Vicarious books is well worth having, or you can download a PDF version of the I'Campingcar guide online,to store on you IPad etc, this can be used offline.

Please excuse Had Enough, good advice, but he gets a little snappy when he has not been fed

I have done Bilbao to Altea years ago in one go, but would not recommend it, the holiday starts when you start the van, why rush?

Hope this is of some help.

pkc - 2015-01-20 3:53 PM

Please excuse Had Enough, good advice, but he gets a little snappy when he has not been fed

I /QUOTE]

But in this case he is spot on.

Being as this is a site for motorhome users not sailors or these silly people who go on a cruise LOL.

Only mistake with pkc post is Lidl don't usually sell fuel ,cheap and good food yes diesel no. B-)

pelmetman - 2015-01-20 9:29 AM

If like us you purely want to avoid the miserable UK winter, then your best option is the stretch of Spanish Costa 's South of Valencia. It seems that every European OAP with a motorhome or caravan heads here :D .......

I think I'd rather stay here.

Guest Had Enough
pkc - 2015-01-20 3:53 PM

Love it! :D

Guest pelmetman
Muswell - 2015-01-20 4:30 PM

pelmetman - 2015-01-20 9:29 AM

I think I'd rather stay here.

Good idea ;-) .......

http://www.bbc.com/weather/2509954?day=1

Had Enough - 2015-01-20 2:04 PM

markh1 - 2015-01-20 1:42 PM

Remember you don't have to drive through France at all, you can sail from Portsmouth to Santander or Bilbao and then cross Spain to be on the med coast in under a day

Are we on the same planet? First of all the ferries often dock at about lunchtime and often later. Malaga for instance is 600 miles from Santander. One day's driving? Oh come on!

If I go to Portsmouth I have to go the day before and waste hours overnighting on the docks. From leaving home to the Med takes exactly the same number of days as driving and using the Chunnel.

Tunnel - Leave Monday, use Chunnel, get a few miles under our belt in France.

Tuesday - Drive to about Bordeaux.

Wednesday - Drive to Palencia

Thursday - Drive to Caceres

Friday, drive to Med.

Long Ferry

Monday - Drive to Portsmouth, overnight at docks.

Tuesday - Board ferry about noon.

Wednesday - Arrive about noon in Santander. By the time I've disembarked and recovered from sea sickness in violent winter weather we used to get to Palencia.

Thursday - Palencia to Caceres.

Time to Caceres, four days, same as driving.

The Bay of Biscay in winter can be a terrible place. If you're immune to sea sickness and hate driving use the ferry but please, it's no quicker!

We are going end of month and it won't take us 4 days:

Portsmouth -Bilbao 08.30 out arrive 10.30 Bilbao.

Bilbao -Zaragoza 4 hrs (Overnight stay)

Zaragoza -Valencia 4hrs-Med

So basically 2 x half day leaisurely drives or 3 full days and 3 overnight stops in France.

Price difference -about £50 but no wear & tear on van/tyres etc

Tried both ways and decided this suits us better-to each his (or her) own

See you down the Med in February

Mike

Guest Had Enough
Mike B. - 2015-01-20 8:00 PM

We are going end of month and it won't take us 4 days:

Portsmouth -Bilbao 08.30 out arrive 10.30 Bilbao.

Bilbao -Zaragoza 4 hrs (Overnight stay)

Zaragoza -Valencia 4hrs-Med

So basically 2 x half day leaisurely drives or 3 full days and 3 overnight stops in France.

Price difference -about £50 but no wear & tear on van/tyres etc

Tried both ways and decided this suits us better-to each his (or her) own

See you down the Med in February

Mike

I think it just has.

Monday to Portsmouth (you need to be there for 7.30 am)

Tuesday - Portsmouth to Bilbao arrive Wednesday morning

Wednesday - drive to Zaragoza

Thursday Zaragoza to Valencia

However, you'll note that my route was via Caceres, which might have told you that we are heading for Cadiz/Gibraltar and sometimes across to Portugal.

Bilbao to Valencia is only 380 miles. Bilbao to Caceres is the same distance. I get to Caceres in the same time that you get to Valencia.

Bilbao to Cadiz is over 600 miles, so if you were going to the same place as us you'd take five days, as we do.

As I said, Dover -Calais driving is as quick as the long ferry.

My booking for a Sunday night sailing departs at 2230 and docks at 0745 on Tuesday so after having a good nights rest we'll have a relaxing drive to where ever we fancy. We've also used the Santander route which docks after 1330 depending on the weather which gives us plenty of time to make for an over night stop south of Madrid.

We are cuurrently in Portugal,we have been here a month so far, great weather,warm and sunny days chillly. At night,we have had three bad days, the past three when it was windy and wet but now the sun is out,the shy is blue and we are in T shirts,we are currently at Silves on the free squat, about sixty other vans dotted around,free camping is very easy along the Algarve and there are some pay aires too,very cheap,there are also lots of campsites too but not for us,too clicky and regimented we feel,food diesel and gas is cheap, great local markets for fresh produce too.we are in the library now using the free wi fi,and changing our books,they have a freeswop system is here for all,we don,t have kindles as we prefer books.We always cross Dover Calais on a one way ticket which this trip was £38 P n O we phone the CCC for a return ticket when we are ready to return from whatever port we decide on,we intend to go into Spain in February for a few weeks and we will wild free camp there too,so come on down it is a great way to spend your winters.

Well thank you folks. Some info to think about there! Love the banter too!

We have done the Santander ferry during our biking days but dived back into France when we landed.

We have a Mini-Schnauzer so will definitely be driving down. Again most probably the tunnel as it seems easier with the dog. We are off to the Netherlands in May so that will tell us.

Been to Spain once really when a friend let us use their apartment 25 miles or so south of Alicante in the January of 2005. Have to admit to being fairly un-impressed but it was warm of a day which was great. The whole coastal area seemed built on. Is it all like that?

We have a friend that lives near Alicante so may call to see them if they are there and we also have friends in Benalmadena who have offered there apartment for a week or so if we wanted a break from the Apache.

Question: what gas do you use? We have a 6kg and a 13kg but no idea how long they would last.

Another question: How good are the Aires? We have camped all over the place with tent and caravan but not a clue on what to expect at an "Aire"

Again many thanks for the input.

Aires, some are no better than a Tesco Car park, others in lovely spots.

as for Gas and how long it will last is alike how long is a piece of string, we have a conventional bottle for backup together with a refillable one, other folk get a local bottle, or use camping Gaz though very expensive if you use a lot.

485823999_AirePyrenees.jpg.9d89a5229b9f7a22dda5a77c78806cbe.jpg

Hi we are new to this and have never been down to Portugal before but hope to camp around the Faro area around the first week in March could you tell us where Silves is near as we hope to stay around 6weeks in Portugal so any help about the Aires and wild sites you can give us we would be grateful for ,from there we hope to go on to Gib for a day then Spain and on would to Holland for the tulips

pw9crab - 2015-01-21 6:27 PMHi we are new to this and have never been down to Portugal before but hope to camp around the Faro area around the first week in March could you tell us where Silves is near as we hope to stay around 6weeks in Portugal so any help about the Aires and wild sites you can give us we would be grateful for ,from there we hope to go on to Gib for a day then Spain and on would to Holland for the tulips
 Ok look at your Portugal map and you will see as you enter Portugal from Spain over the bridge that spans the Guardiana River it is the start of the Algarve the first place you can stay for free is Castro Marim,free Aire the Villa Real d san Antonio,pay aire 4.5 euros then proceeding along the Algarve you have Manta Rota pay Aire then Altura free on large beach parking area,onwards to Pedras del Rei and St Lucia both free, next Fuseta behind the campsite, on to Olahao free opposite the cop shop,then Faro at the Castle free,next behind the Pingo Dolce supermarket on a large beach parking area free,on to Faro Island just past the Airport, right on the beach,we have used all these places over the last month and confirm they are safe and water and toilet emptying Is available.Silves is above Portimao, a new Aire here in construction, we are currently on it and have been for four nights now,free,Portimao has an aire at the Marina 2,5 euros a night, water 2euros for 100 litres free emtying and toilet dump,lecky here if you want it too,several free squats around Praia d Roche, the beach area of Portimao,just above Silves is a Barragem (dam)where lots of wild camping available, a bit further on is Messines, a small town with a free Aire on a huge field /playing field.The Algarve is only about 120 miles wide so very easy to flit from one end to the other with many more stop over places than I have mentioned,hope this helps,happy travels.

Many places in Portugal are refilling calor bottles now,not strickly kosher I know but as needs must,I have Gasit refillables so fill my own, before the refillables I just bought bottled gas in whichever Country plus a regulater and did it that way, but snce I downsized I don,t have the capacity to carry spare bottles,hence the refillables,best decision ever to get refillables methinks..

MISTRELYN - 2015-01-21 2:30 PMWell thank you folks. Some info to think about there! Love the banter too!We have done the Santander ferry during our biking days but dived back into France when we landed.We have a Mini-Schnauzer so will definitely be driving down. Again most probably the tunnel as it seems easier with the dog. We are off to the Netherlands in May so that will tell us.Been to Spain once really when a friend let us use their apartment 25 miles or so south of Alicante in the January of 2005. Have to admit to being fairly un-impressed but it was warm of a day which was great. The whole coastal area seemed built on. Is it all like that?We have a friend that lives near Alicante so may call to see them if they are there and we also have friends in Benalmadena who have offered there apartment for a week or so if we wanted a break from the Apache.Question: what gas do you use? We have a 6kg and a 13kg but no idea how long they would last.Another question: How good are the Aires? We have camped all over the place with tent and caravan but not a clue on what to expect at an "Aire"Again many thanks for the input.
 Have a look at Vicarious books on line they have some great Aires books written in English with pictures, and all or most sbmitted by people who have actually stayed on them and took the lead trouble to submit them for publication to Vic books,there are of course many other publications on the subject and on line sites to view too,but I recomend Vic Books every time,having used them for France Germany Spain Portugal Denmark Sweden Norway Austria etc.

vindiboy - 2015-01-22 2:45 PM
pw9crab - 2015-01-21 6:27 PMHi we are new to this and have never been down to Portugal before but hope to camp around the Faro area around the first week in March could you tell us where Silves is near as we hope to stay around 6weeks in Portugal so any help about the Aires and wild sites you can give us we would be grateful for ,from there we hope to go on to Gib for a day then Spain and on would to Holland for the tulips
 Ok look at your Portugal map and you will see as you enter Portugal from Spain over the bridge that spans the Guardiana River it is the start of the Algarve the first place you can stay for free is Castro Marim,free Aire the Villa Real d san Antonio,pay aire 4.5 euros then proceeding along the Algarve you have Manta Rota pay Aire then Altura free on large beach parking area,onwards to Pedras del Rei and St Lucia both free, next Fuseta behind the campsite, on to Olahao free opposite the cop shop,then Faro at the Castle free,next behind the Pingo Dolce supermarket on a large beach parking area free,on to Faro Island just past the Airport, right on the beach,we have used all these places over the last month and confirm they are safe and water and toilet emptying Is available.Silves is above Portimao, a new Aire here in construction, we are currently on it and have been for four nights now,free,Portimao has an aire at the Marina 2,5 euros a night, water 2euros for 100 litres free emtying and toilet dump,lecky here if you want it too,several free squats around Praia d Roche, the beach area of Portimao,just above Silves is a Barragem (dam)where lots of wild camping available, a bit further on is Messines, a small town with a free Aire on a huge field /playing field.The Algarve is only about 120 miles wide so very easy to flit from one end to the other with many more stop over places than I have mentioned,hope this helps,happy travels.

Thanks for the above.

Archived