Escaping winter

MISTRELYN

It's way quicker, in December 2014 we docked at 5 pm and were in Benidorm the next day, you've clearly not travelled across the bay much, the worst conditions are usually in June!

If I want to get to Spain, I'm not spending a week driving through France, although my record is 42 hours from Edinburgh, via the tunnel to Granada, non stop

I don,t mind you idiots killing yourselves in road accidents but it is  the fact that you are endangering others that bugs me, I don,t actually believe your post as surely no one can be that stupid but I am aware that some drive excessivly long hours on journeys.

Had Enough - 2015-01-20 2:04 PM

markh1 - 2015-01-20 1:42 PM

Remember you don't have to drive through France at all, you can sail from Portsmouth to Santander or Bilbao and then cross Spain to be on the med coast in under a day

Are we on the same planet? First of all the ferries often dock at about lunchtime and often later. Malaga for instance is 600 miles from Santander. One day's driving? Oh come on!]

Last Easter I drove from Bordaux (spelling) to La Torreta campsite in Benidorm in one day, had regular stops to walk the dog and for us all to get food and drinks.

John.

artheytrate - 2015-01-26 2:29 PM....................Last Easter I drove from Bordaux (spelling) to La Torreta campsite in Benidorm in one day, had regular stops to walk the dog and for us all to get food and drinks. John.

About 600 miles, which involved going across, or around, the Pyrenees. Autoroute reckons 9 hours driving, without breaks. To do that necessitates an average speed of just over 65MPH for the whole trip. You must have left very early, arrived very late, and driven like a bat out of hell in very light traffic! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2015-01-26 4:01 PM

artheytrate - 2015-01-26 2:29 PM....................Last Easter I drove from Bordaux (spelling) to La Torreta campsite in Benidorm in one day, had regular stops to walk the dog and for us all to get food and drinks. John.

About 600 miles, which involved going across, or around, the Pyrenees. Autoroute reckons 9 hours driving, without breaks. To do that necessitates an average speed of just over 65MPH for the whole trip. You must have left very early, arrived very late, and driven like a bat out of hell in very light traffic! :-D

Left 6am and arrived at 8-30pm. and it was a Sunday very little traffic.

John.

Don't believe everything Autoroute comes up with, our house to our daughters in the midlands comes up with 2 hours 6 minutes which is sheer nonsense :-S best I've ever managed in 26 years is just over 3 hours in a car, and that is going like a bat out of hell.

VINDIBOY said:

don,t mind you idiots killing yourselves in road accidents but it is the fact that you are endangering others that bugs me, I don,t actually believe your post as surely no one can be that stupid but I am aware that some drive excessivly long hours on journeys.

My 42 hour trip was in a Ford Transit Sportvan, with 2 drivers, myself and my wife, and was from North Berwick to Salobrena (south of Granada) we left at 6pm therefore avoiding the traffic in southern England, we used toll roads all the way, so very little traffic, one of us drove, one of us slept. It's not made up and it wasn't dangerous, the previous trip on the same route had taken 46 hours

Guest Peter James
Joe90 - 2015-01-27 9:29 AM

Don't believe everything Autoroute comes up with,

I'll second that as the default setting in my Autoroute 2002 is an AVERAGE speed of 75mph on British Motorways *-)

We once tried 2 drivers in a lorry to Italy. We both found it impossible to sleep whilst the vehicle was moving. Then when one driver needed to stop, we both had to stop, so the journey took longer.

artheytrate - 2015-01-26 4:13 PM

John.

So, say 12 hours driving, 2.5 hours breaks - and you did this for pleasure? :-D

Brian Kirby - 2015-01-27 5:14 PM

artheytrate - 2015-01-26 4:13 PM

John.

So, say 12 hours driving, 2.5 hours breaks - and you did this for pleasure? :-D

Can't wait to get to the warmth of Benidorm, get there quick and have extra time there as we are limited to the time we can spend away Winter and Easter time.

John.

Guest pelmetman
Joe90 - 2015-01-27 9:46 AM

pelmetman - 2015-01-27 9:30 AM

http://www.bbc.com/weather/2509954

B-)

Dreadful..........no wonder you're still stuck in the van as usual, posting here there and everywhere.

Well it is winter out here ;-) ...............and to be honest its not worth sunbathing until late morning :D .........

A bit like Wales really.................except you need to replace "morning" with summer (lol)........

Don't believe everything Autoroute comes up with, our house to our daughters in the midlands comes up with 2 hours 6 minutes which is sheer nonsense :-S best I've ever managed in 26 years is just over 3 hours in a car, and that is going like a bat out of hell.

I generally find that by setting all the average driving speed options to the slowest, it isn't far off for a motorhome, at least for legs of around 250-300 miles.

But, on the assumption that John would drive faster than I would choose to do, I left the average speed options at their default setting, hence the 65MPH average. Slowing it down as I would usually do, it gives a bit under 11.5 hours non-stop. So, maybe not too far adrift over 600 miles.

In the event, it seems to have taken him about 12 hours, so an average of maybe 50MPH, which would still be pretty good going over that distance. But not for me, I have to say.

Joe90 - 2015-01-21 2:38 PM

Aires, some are no better than a Tesco Car park, others in lovely spots.

Looking at your picture I'm guessing Peyrolles, down from the Col d'Aspin? Nice place until the cows and horses come mooching around.

Personally I love winter. Winter weather isn't 'bad' weather, it's just different from summer weather. The changes are all important to me and I couldn't countenance living in the same climate all year round, let alone driving for days to find it. We do most of our motorhome miles in Scotland in the winter, I mean you just can't beat stuff like this, all snugged-up with a good bottle:

http://www.stevecarter.com/latest/27-12-14.jpg

'Horses for courses' I guess.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2015-01-27 5:28 PM

I generally find that by setting all the average driving speed options to the slowest, it isn't far off for a motorhome, at least for legs of around 250-300 miles.

But, on the assumption that John would drive faster than I would choose to do, I left the average speed options at their default setting, hence the 65MPH average. Slowing it down as I would usually do, it gives a bit under 11.5 hours non-stop. So, maybe not too far adrift over 600 miles.

In the event, it seems to have taken him about 12 hours, so an average of maybe 50MPH, which would still be pretty good going over that distance. But not for me, I have to say.

Nor me 8-) .............

I'd need another month to recover :D ..............

Steve928 - 2015-01-27 5:29 PM

Joe90 - 2015-01-21 2:38 PM

Aires, some are no better than a Tesco Car park, others in lovely spots.

Looking at your picture I'm guessing Peyrolles, down from the Col d'Aspin? Nice place until the cows and horses come mooching around.

Personally I love winter. Winter weather isn't 'bad' weather, it's just different from summer weather. The changes are all important to me and I couldn't countenance living in the same climate all year round, let alone driving for days to find it. We do most of our motorhome miles in Scotland in the winter, I mean you just can't beat stuff like this, all snugged-up with a good bottle:

http://www.stevecarter.com/latest/27-12-14.jpg

'Horses for courses' I guess.

Fairly astonishing observation you got there ! that's exactly where we were, on Lac De Payolle

what's there to complain about though about 24c when we stopped, Eagles, mountain air, silence apart from the odd cow bell, and views like this. ;-)

And personally I hate the winter, but the Spanish Costas having seen them a few times have zero appeal for us, the less of the human race we encounter the better, but good luck to them that do like them.

Pyrenees.jpg.7eb6d5b9bfa3df4c394cd30822e6f77a.jpg

I can remember as a very young child dad driving the family to Europe every year, usually Italy or Spain, he had two weeks off so wouldn't stop for anything, would literally drive continuously until we arrived at whatever campsite we'd booked then him and mum would argue about the tent! He wouldn't even stop so we could have a wee unless mum begged him I can remember me and my brother trying to pee into a lemonade bottle in the back. Once we arrived he'd bugger of to a bar for the whole hol while mum took us to the beach etc.Mum said one year brother was ill on the way back from benidorm so dad stopped twice on the way back then told all his mates that holidays with the family was a tour of public convenience's.And no he didn't sleep either there or back he just kept driving! God I hated those hold lol

Guest pelmetman
Joe90 - 2015-01-27 6:29 PM

And personally I hate the winter, but the Spanish Costas having seen them a few times have zero appeal for us, the less of the human race we encounter the better, but good luck to them that do like them.

Have you tried them in the winter?...................For us they'd be hell on earth in the season ;-) ...........

But now ideal B-)..................quiet, cheap, and pleasantly warm during the day :D .......

Or I could spend my winter in North Wales 8-) ...................Blimey that would make me a miserable git (lol) ......

pelmetman - 2015-01-27 8:47 PM

Joe90 - 2015-01-27 6:29 PM

Have you tried them in the winter?...................For us they'd be hell on earth in the season ;-) ...........

But now ideal B-)..................quiet, cheap, and pleasantly warm during the day :D .......

Or I could spend my winter in North Wales 8-) ...................Blimey that would make me a miserable git (lol) ......

Tried Turre near Majocar, , and once in Portugal at Albefuria, but just a week as they were at a time when we both worked.

As for hell on earth, well I'd probably describe that as being stuck next to you for weeks on end with all your bleedin dogs tied to your bumper, and all the other bleedin dogs kicking off everywhere, that was my only recollections apart from the freezing temperatures at night, mostly everything closed up, and miles of poly tunnels covering the landscape, in short, shove it.

Archived