New X290 and Comfort Matic

AlanMos

Deneb - 2015-02-15 2:03 PM

I'll reserve judgement on the rust :-D I'm aware of the reputation, but most of the rusty Sprinters I have seen, have all had very hard lives and starship mileages with commercial fleets.

I think you'll find quite a few of the owner drivers have had bad problems. I got this quote from Wikopedia too

"The second generation Sprinter was introduced in Europe in 2006. It was voted Van of the Year 2007 and again in 2008 by Professional Van and Light Truck Magazine. 2012 Information and Fuel Consumption Figures.[4] This generation of the Sprinter is well known for having a problem with rust."

Maybe it has been sorted out now

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We also towed a caravan with a Volvo V70 D5 with the Geartronic gearbox and agree that it was a superb combination. Loads of effortless power and a smooth easy to use auto gearbox. On winding and hilly roads I would tend to use the manual facility for more control and engine braking.

We now have a Vantage Neo 6.36 PVC with the 150 engine and Comfortmatic gearbox and this is also a great combination. I can't really say if the 150 engine is absolutely necessary or if the 130 would be sufficient but it is quite a powerful engine and hauls the 3.5 T van along very nicely indeed and I just like the idea of having a bit more power and am prepared to pay for it. I have read a number of reports that say that the 150 engine suits the Comfortmatic better than the 130 but I can't verify this myself. Personally I would not be interested in paying the additional premium for the 3ltr engine as it seems like overkill to me on this size of van. I have not driven a 3ltr version and the power delivery may be better or smoother but I don't think it is worth the expense.

The Comfortmatic is not as easy to use as the Geartronic as it has a number of minor idiosyncrasies but I wanted an auto so have to accept it for what it is. Despite this, I am very happy with the Comfortmatic and would have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone. It is after all an auto so no clutch to operate and it makes the whole driving experience much more relaxing and enjoyable. The changes are also much smoother than I could manage on a manual so the experience is better for passengers as well.

I have recently swapped my V70 for a new BMW 520d with the ZF 8 speed auto and this gearbox is on a whole different level of performance. It is an amazingly smooth gearbox and always seems to in the correct gear no matter what the situation. If Fiat could only fit this to their Ducatos.

Don636 - 2015-02-15 9:42 PM

We also towed a caravan with a Volvo V70 D5 with the Geartronic gearbox and agree that it was a superb combination. Loads of effortless power and a smooth easy to use auto gearbox. On winding and hilly roads I would tend to use the manual facility for more control and engine braking.

We now have a Vantage Neo 6.36 PVC with the 150 engine and Comfortmatic gearbox and this is also a great combination. I can't really say if the 150 engine is absolutely necessary or if the 130 would be sufficient but it is quite a powerful engine and hauls the 3.5 T van along very nicely indeed and I just like the idea of having a bit more power and am prepared to pay for it. I have read a number of reports that say that the 150 engine suits the Comfortmatic better than the 130 but I can't verify this myself. Personally I would not be interested in paying the additional premium for the 3ltr engine as it seems like overkill to me on this size of van. I have not driven a 3ltr version and the power delivery may be better or smoother but I don't think it is worth the expense.

The Comfortmatic is not as easy to use as the Geartronic as it has a number of minor idiosyncrasies but I wanted an auto so have to accept it for what it is. Despite this, I am very happy with the Comfortmatic and would have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone. It is after all an auto so no clutch to operate and it makes the whole driving experience much more relaxing and enjoyable. The changes are also much smoother than I could manage on a manual so the experience is better for passengers as well.

I have recently swapped my V70 for a new BMW 520d with the ZF 8 speed auto and this gearbox is on a whole different level of performance. It is an amazingly smooth gearbox and always seems to in the correct gear no matter what the situation. If Fiat could only fit this to their Ducatos.

Many thanks for your comments. I do accept that really the best way is to try it for yourself to decide whether the Comfortmatic is for you. However, I also recognise that a short test drive is not likely to give a true answer and it can take a lot of driving to fully understand, and accept the good and bad. Ubfortunately to achieve that usually means buying the thing. Both my wife and I accept that driving the comfortmatic will be different from the Volvo, but if it achieves what we wish, which is to be able to move about without a manual gear change, then it could do the job. Of course I want to ensure I am making the right decision before splashing out upwards of £50k, so all input is appreciated.

Before we bought our van last year I test drove a van with the 130 engine and a manual gearbox as there was not a van available with a Comfortmatic. I had been used to driving the Volvo with the Geartronic and really wanted an auto. After driving a manual I was even more sure that I wanted an auto on such a large vehicle as I felt that operating the manual would be too much of a hassle.

I took a chance on the Comfortmatic and really knew nothing about it. As soon as I started to drive it I knew I had made the right decision as it is a fantastic set-up on a large van. It is just so smooth and easy to use and really adds to the whole experience. There is absolutely no way I would have a manual.

I recognise that it is not a 'proper' auto and so has some limitations but it is still very good. There is no hill hold facility and the handbrake is a pain but I get round this by left foot braking to a stop on hills - easy. It can be a bit slow to change down on an uphill sometimes but I go to manual and deal with it - easy. It is slow to change up to second when pulling away from junctions but I drive round this and it has never been a problem.

It may sound as if there are lots of problems to put people off but this is only being honest, which is what people want, and they are not really problems, just traits.

If you don't need an auto and are not bothered about using a clutch or are worried about autos in general then save your money and get a manual. But, if you need or would simply prefer an auto or are used to autos, as I am, then you are unlikely to regret ordering a Comfortmatic. As I said earlier, I now have a BMW with what is generally recognised to be one of the best autos available today and I still love the Comfortmatic.

We have an IH 6.36m 4000kg panel van with the 3 litre engine (180bhp) and comfortmatic, ours also has the hill holder and ESC fitted. Would thourghly recommend for stress free driving, combination is fast, reasonably economical (27ish mpg), acceptably smooth (though clearly not as smooth as conventional auto) and let's you concentrate on where you are going!!

It does have a number of foibles that some find difficult to live with, its really personal choice and whether you really need/want auto.

Any questions please ask.

Bill

Have an X290 van conversion with the 3.0L engine and Comfortmatic gearbox. Previously have owned 2.3L Ducato manual (2007) and 3.0L (2010) van conversion with Comfortmatic. Found only a fractional difference in fuel consumption between the 2.3L manual and the 3.0L Comfortmatic. The 3.0L really does come into its own in hilly terrain where its fuel consumption proved superior to the 2.3L engine. A very sharp ascent preceded by a sharp descent usually needs manual intervention with a prod of the gear lever if the Comfortmatic isn't to discover that two gearbox drops in quick succession are required and produce a gear change that is adequate but not accomplished.

From driving the X290 I feel the 3.0L engine is now better mated to the Comfortmatic box than it was in the X250 version I had. I do detect a difference in rpm in relation to higher gear changes. In summary I would never go back to a manual version and find the characteristics of the Comfortmatic a joy to work with.

• 4 months later...

Just purchased Ducato 130 with Comfortmatic box. How anyone can say this is great beats me.

Yes everyone mentions the probs between 1st and 2nd. Somebody stated that the other changes were unnoticeable. My experience is that at every change you nearly go through the windscreen with the delay in changing. If I changed gear manually like this I would have expected to have failed my driving test.

Yes I know I should have test driven this beast but thought all auto gear boxes were the same.

Don't wast your money.

AlanP - 2015-07-09 8:54 PM

Just purchased Ducato 130 with Comfortmatic box. How anyone can say this is great beats me.

Yes everyone mentions the probs between 1st and 2nd. Somebody stated that the other changes were unnoticeable. My experience is that at every change you nearly go through the windscreen with the delay in changing. If I changed gear manually like this I would have expected to have failed my driving test.

Yes I know I should have test driven this beast but thought all auto gear boxes were the same.

Don't wast your money.

How heavy is the motorhome? An earlier poster was referring to a 4250kgs van with 130bhp engine. That with a Comfortmatic would be potentially problematical. Other than 1st and 2nd gears the changes should be unoticeable so either your van is too heavy for the engine and box combo or there is a problem.

I ordered my new comfortmatic in January on a 2.3 130bhp and then started reading this thread which started to make me a little anxious. However, as a result of information gathered I decided to upgrade the engine to the 150. I collected the vehicle yesterday and, although I agree it is slightly slow changing from 1st to 2nd but not enough to cause a problem, I am happy enough with its performance overall. I am aware when the gears are changing but the OH says she doesn't really notice and certainly doesn't feel any surging. I have no regrets with the choice at this early stage and I feel confident that I will become even happier with it as I become more used to it.

Alan, I am gobsmacked. I've had the Comfortmatic on my 130 for almost 2 years and over 13,000 miles and I have never experienced anything like you report. My son has just finished running a 3l van with Comfortmatic on a few weeks hire and he does getting on for 1500 miles a week. He reckons it's brilliant.

My wife, as the usual passenger, cannot tell when it changes gear in the motorhome - except for reverse - whereas my son and I can just about tell because we 'feel' the van but the gear change itself is smooth. The only issue I had, apart from slow starts, is when it gets confused in the Pennines because of the bends and short hills/descents which require rapid changing. I sometimes switch to manual which is super smooth. The more I drive it, the more I love it and it is now simply taken for granted.

So sorry, I just don't recognise your experience at all. Therefore, the Comfortmatic or engine is different now or there is something wrong with your van. Or it's you!

Don't wast your money.

Is the van new or used? If used, could it have been abused by a previous owner?

My experience after 13,000 miles (150PS Comfortmatic) is that the gearchange has improved, and is generally very smooth.

There is still some hesitation from first to second, but much less now than it was when new. It is now more responsive on hills, changing down in response to throttle pressure much better than it did.

My impression is that the electronics that control the box are set up for a fully run-in engine, and ours was tight when new, so the changes did not match what the engine needed.

It also seems that the reluctance to downshift on gradients may be due to the need to keep the DPF cooked, as running on a heavier throttle in a higher gear (which I interpret as labouring the engine; I prefer to change down and let the engine spin faster) results in a higher exhaust temperature. I've also found the "up" mode begins to make more sense as the engine loosens, so you may just have a very tight engine.

Ours still has its moments on steep hairpin accents, where it is better to take over in manual. However, we've now had it over a half reasonable Alpine pass (Croix de Fer), and quite a few lesser passes, and now knowing when it will struggle and I need to take control, it sailed up (and down) with no drama whatever.

So, I think you'll find it improves with more miles, but I'd be inclined to get it to a Fiat commercial dealer and demonstrate what you describe, as although it is what most of us seem to have experienced at first, it sounds very extreme, so possibly defective.

Don't wast your money.

You are either driving with your foot flat out on the throttle pedal at all times or you have a defective gearbox.

I recommend a lighter pair of boots or a trip to the dealer. This is NOT how they work.

Archived