WiFi in PVC

Colin Leake

Last year we used the caravan club WiFi in a coach built with few problems in a coach built. This year we will be using a PVC I'm just wondering if we may expect to experience problems being in a tin box. Should I look at or need an external antenna?

Any comments from those with experience of using WiFi in a PVC would be most welcome.

Guest Peter James
I have an X2/50 Maxi Van and find my laptop will sometimes work on its own antenna. But I have made a bracket and fitted an antenna in the middle of the roof which works much better... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rocket-Antenna-USB-External-WiFi-Booster-Range-Extender-Motorhome-Caravan-Boat-/231340559026?pt=UK_Computing_Boosters_Extenders_Antennas&hash=item35dcf8cab2

Hi Colin,

We don't have a PVC but have struggled to get connected with a standard laptop at several sites so following advice from this forum I bought a Faculty-X Omni-directional USB antenna and have to say I have been pleased with it's performance to date.

It came with a powerful suction mount (actually a camera mount) and a CD with a driver but unfortunately this wouldn't load so I downloaded the driver directly from the manufacturers website Link (in case you need it).

http://www.faculty-x.net/motorhome%20omni%20directional%20kit.htm

For just over £50 I am most pleased with the recommendation.

Keith.

Hi

I have a East Neuk Fifer in a 6 m Citroen van.

I use a 3 MiFi when in France as it's the same cost as in the UK per Mb.

But for WiFi I use a directional Motorhome WiFi antenna on a Maxiview Mast held in place above the roof on the back door window by stick on Maxiview mast fixings. Looks like a periscope? This links to all via a 12 volt mini router.

I use the same mast for a digital directional TV antenna.

Can be a pain to set up as i use it so rarely as the 3 MiFi while costing in use is so convenient.

But then I also use free WiFi in the usual places and finds this good enough.

Hope that helps?

Agree that the steel body of a PVC can act as a shield for radio signals but many CBs have RRP or plastic roofs and could be expected to be better.

Having said tha,t I only need to poke the tip of the aerial of my L Wave portable radio out of a window of my GRP bodied CB to recieve BBC half way down France.

On site the Wifi signal is often weak and the hot spot near the office.

Mike88 - 2015-01-21 10:17 PM

I have received WIFI on Caravan Club sites and on sites abroad with no problems. Both panel vans and coachbuilts are encased in metal so why would there be a difference.

Our CB was all GRP so not encased in metal. We use an iPad on holiday rather then a laptop so have no CD slot to lpad drivers from. I have now tried it on our drive and it picks up our signal and several others so my feeling is I'll give it a try on our first trip,out in April and see how we get on. We only use it to keep,up to,date with emails etc so,if we have to step outside it won't be a disaster.

Archived