Truma CP Plus control panel

mikejkay

I have been playing with the Truma heating system in my 2014 Ducato X250 and it doesn't seem to be performing as I expected. The control panel indicates that are two operating modes for electrical operation, EL 1 and EL 2. Can anyone tell me what these are, presumably one is 240v AC and the other is ...............? The manual is not very illuminating.

mikejkay - 2015-01-21 9:42 PM

I have been playing with the Truma heating system in my 2014 Ducato X250 and it doesn't seem to be performing as I expected. The control panel indicates that are two operating modes for electrical operation, EL 1 and EL 2. Can anyone tell me what these are, presumably one is 240v AC and the other is ...............? The manual is not very illuminating.

Hi

This is the 2 heat settings, i.e. 900 Watts and 1800 Watts at 230 volt AC.

Alan

AlanS - 2015-01-21 10:43 PM

mikejkay - 2015-01-21 9:42 PM

Hi

This is the 2 heat settings, i.e. 900 Watts and 1800 Watts at 230 volt AC.

Alan

Many thanks. Why the £@*! is there noe mention of this in the manual >:-( . Any way thanks again.

The primary purpose of the two electrical power settings is to allow you to use electricity for hot water or to contribute to your heating even when the EHU is only fused to a small number of amps, as is common aboroad. If 1800 watts (8 amps at 230 volts) would blow the circuit breaker, then 900 watts (only 4 amps or so) might not do.

Selecting the lower electical power level will slow the speed at which water heats up but it will not of itself limit the temperature of the water. If you are running on electricity alone (i.e. no gas selected as well) the lower power setting will of course limit the amount of heating you will experience, although it might still take the chill off.

Sorry of this sounds like teaching granny to suck eggs but it took me ages to understand and my OH still has to ask me!

StuartO - 2015-01-22 9:22 AM

The primary purpose of the two electrical power settings is to allow you to use electricity for hot water or to contribute to your heating even when the EHU is only fused to a small number of amps, as is common aboroad. If 1800 watts (8 amps at 230 volts) would blow the circuit breaker, then 900 watts (only 4 amps or so) might not do.

Selecting the lower electical power level will slow the speed at which water heats up but it will not of itself limit the temperature of the water. If you are running on electricity alone (i.e. no gas selected as well) the lower power setting will of course limit the amount of heating you will experience, although it might still take the chill off.

Sorry of this sounds like teaching granny to suck eggs but it took me ages to understand and my OH still has to ask me!

Stuart, I have not sucked this particular egg before so thanks for the information. I don't use EHU's on sites so I was only vaguely aware of the power limitations. I can understand the rationale but my beef is, why don't Truma explain the difference between these two options in the manual?! As a matter of interest, set at EL 1 the temperature of the water barely increased at all after an hour - it was 4 deg C outside. Setting the controller to EL 2 made a huge difference.

Archived