License recovery

Pete-B

I'm fairly certain you don't need to take a test that only applies to hgv licence.

You will have to supply evidence that you are entitled to the C1 category as DVLD tend not to keep old records, could prove difficult if you last licence with the C1 was a photo licence as you have to return those when you receive a new licence.

Guest Peter James

What do you mean by 'relinquished'?

I have not renewed mine because last time my doctor charged me £100 for a 10 minute medical, and I never used it. I have been told by an official at the DVLA that I can reinstate it at any time by getting a medical, no need for a re test.

GPs will commonly charge £100 or more for an HGV medical or similar because they will operate a standard charge for all the "private" examinations they can be asked to do - but there are other sources. You can go to any doctor you like. It's the same form and broadly the same medical as for an HGV licence.

Do a Google search on "HGV medicals" and you will get lots of options, from about £50, which is about the same price as an MOT Test!

I used to have to go through the same medical every 3 years for my public carriage licence, and my GP would charge me £70, but I have had several heart attacks over the years and for this reason I was required to take a stress test in addition. This was I think called a Brookes Test, and involved walking rather quickly up a simulated slope on a treadmill for about 15 minutes whilst wired up to a monitor. It used to nearly kill me and I decided that I was unlikely to be able to complete the test when it became due last spring, so I was forced to retire. I was also put off even trying for one last time because it used to cost between £600 and £750 per attempt, on top of the £350 I would have had to pay for a 3 year licence.

I would not want anyone to think that I am some frail old codger shuffling around waiting for the next episode of chest pain to get the blue lights flashing again, I am a hale and hearty 6 foot 3 inch,18 stone codger, who until a few months ago was working 60 to 80 hours per week, often driving more than 600 miles per day, and since retiring I have been restoring our new home and chopping down the 50 foot cedar tree that was threatening to fall on our house. The cause of my heart problems was specific and is now resolved.

Just be aware that you may need more than just a medical.

AGD

Sorry if I misled then.

On subject of going to any Doctor to get a cheap deal. The Medical Report is for the most part a Questionnaire with yes/no responses. The Dr will therefore have to have sight of the applicant's medical records.

In which case (and assuming that they are not yet on Computer database) the Dr will have to contact your own GP who will have to have records photocopied and sent to your assessing Dr- and I can't see that being done for peanuts!

Should add that in my case (done just two days ago) my Optician didn't charge at all. The Dr charged £125 but it was my own GP who was able to refer to my records. In addition he sounded out my heart and lungs, and took BP. Total time 22mins! And as I say that was without eye test which was done by Optician

Archived