TomTom Go 6000 Live

whisturx

Just wondered if anyone uses the TT Go 6000 ? Halfords "salesperson" seems to think they do not accept Longitude/Latitude co-ordinates in search. With the aires book,ACSI sites and CC club sites all using coordinates it would be as useful as a chocolate fire guard !

TomTom Camper at £100 more seems to have mixed reviews so I preferred the 6" screen and Live Traffic and Lifetime Maps of the Go Live.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I've had a tom tom Go 710 for about 10 years and it's been brilliant. Last year, because I could'nt down load any more maps, to include Morocco and all of Eastern Europe, I bought the 6000 direct from tom tom having being assured it was equal to and better than the Go10, what a disappointment. To fully understand it I recon you need a degree in computer programming. The actual menu takes a bit of fathoming out, it will accept Longitude/Latitude references ok as long as you don't include the last 2 numbers of each coordinate, post codes sometimes cover too large an area to be accurate, route planning is a nightmare, no road No. details, viewing the route is painfully slow. Complicated to plan routes in advance, particularly if you want to include Points of Interest, etc., difficult to read the various road work warnings on route. Obviously the larger screen is an improvement. The "areas of interest" abroad, ie.speed camera locations, are now very hit and miss. voice instructions a bit late for exiting roundabouts, etc., not always a good idea to glance at the SatNav while approaching the manoeuver. Once your happy with the chosen route it then takes some time before you can press the driving wheel symbol to start your journey. I'm assured that TomTom are gradually adding/improving their programmes. It may be helpful to visit Tom Tom's forum for other peoples experiences. :-S >:-( >:-)

Thanks Ken.

I have ordered one on Amazon at £224 so will see how I get on. My old TomTom XXL maps are so out of date that it was becoming a problem. Did not know Tours, France had a ring road ! 50 mph speed warnings all the way round the West side of the M25 ! The 4th lane was completed 2 years ago !!

Always send it back !!!

Yes the Go 5000 and 6000 do have the facility to input Long and Lat.

Here are my comments on the GO500 from an earlier post.

I have always had TT's and been very happy with them. 

Firstly let me say I have the GO 5000, and am very happy with it, BUT! 

You need to be aware that this new range are totally different from the previous units. Whereas you could always quickly work with a new TT as the screens were all similar the new ones are completely different and so need time to get used to. Also some of the features on previous models are currently not available on the new units. The most obvious one is the ability to load your own POI's however it is strongly rumoured that this facility will be added soon in an update as have other facilities which are now available but not when the range were first launched. 

The new units have a facility called My Places which is like Favourites on the old units. You can programme in about 100 places then when necessary select them as a destination or maybe a waypoint. You can also create about 100 routes which are routes you design each using as many as 90+ waypoints and then save for future use. You can also select a saved route and add or delete waypoints or change the order you visit the waypoints. The waypoints don't have to be in your My Places list. 

As I said we are pleased with our unit which we used in France. I had identified places we wanted to visit and saved the route before we went. We inevitably changed what we were doing from time to time but easily got back on track if needed. You can select a presaved route and the TT will take you to the start of the route from wherever you are. Long and Lat work well so great for Aires etc and the Traffic facility which on the GO5000 is live and does not need connection to a mobile phone worked very well in France. 

You now have the facility to avoid a blocked road and you can ask for alternative routes and be offered up to 3 with distance and time information. 

I have also been told by someone that they have been advised by TT that a Camper/Caravan version is in the pipeline which presumably includes the ability to input the vehicle size. I have always worked on the basis of if the road looks to small don't go there. 

So if you are prepared to learn a different system offering lifetime maps and traffic which is faster in its response times, includes 3 million destinations including campsites and does Long and Lat then they are worth considering. Other than the GO 5000 and 6000 the rest of the GO range need the availability of a mobile phone to download traffic data. 

Finally the Maps, ie Western Europe, is about 5.5gb so if you have not got a good broadband speed it will mean downloading the new one every 3 months will take a very long time. We have a 50mb download speed on our broadband and the map takes 45 minutes to download to the computer before it starts loading onto the TT. 

Hope the above is useful. 

Doug

Thanks Doug, very helpful . Maybe you should consider a part time job at Halfords as their staff hadn't a clue !!

The TomTom forums proved a good source of information as long as it does not get too "techie".. Will enjoy the challenge as we changed our car in August which has a built in Ford sat nav which has taken a while to understand.

Thanks again

• 5 weeks later...
suntrecker38 - 2015-01-24 5:15 PM

I have a TT 1005 camper/caravan which does have the GPS facility and the other thing is that you also have the dimension of the vihicle to put inwhich can be a safeguard. Would not be with out it.

I have one too, and an earlier 'One new edition' the battery life in the 1005 is now zero, the One still lasts about an hour and a half. They both have differant systems, and differant software to log on/Upgrade via the Computer, WHY are they forever changing them ? it doesn't endear them to their customers. I found the 'Go Live' bit useless anyway,and have not renewed the membership. Don't want or need the 'Speed camera database' (illegal in a lot of countries anyway). I have lifetime map upgrades (for the UK), and don't now intend to upgrade again, until they do a 'Google Earth' style measurement of all the road systems, So that the 'Size' entries actually MEAN something, rather than just the 'Legal' requirements of me taking a certain road. A useful tool, that like you I wouldn't want to be without, BUT WAY TOO EXPENSIVE for what they do. The 'One new Edition' was cheap and still works perfectly well.

Ray

Archived