winter

tamworthkamper

[QUOTE]tamworthkamper - 2006-10-04 8:05 PM Just been out to our m/h to put bits in it ready for the weekend .It was very cold and damp in side .Could I leave the heater on onlow setting with the hook up in .Will this course condensation which would course more problems . Perhaps I need to retire and go find the winter sun lol[/QUOTE] I have found that a small greenhouse heater (fan type) on a low setting (8-10 degrees) works well. With the locker doors left open, I have not experienced any condensation. The built in heater would probably be even better, if it doesn't use too much power.

Not puting any form of heat on will encourage condensation. It is best if you can to have some form of low wattage heating on and curtains /blinds closed to retain heat. Leave lockers, drwaers etc open to enable heaat to spread evenly through van. This means if the wife has her friends in you can vanish to van and be in comfort its a great life when we can enjoy it. Docted

Hi Limerick As they say in your lovely country, "If I was going there - I would'nt start from here"!! In other words, I would not, personally, use a Fan Heater to leave on, unattended. For many years now, I have just used a simple Dimplex 'Cold-Watcher' electric heater, the sort recommended for use in a loft or, greenhouse - it is so safe that it can be used either, upright or, layed down (on it's back), so if it got accidently knocked over, it's OK (as long as it is not on it's front!), anyway, these can be purchased in 1000watts or, 500watts, both include a thermostat so can be set at a lower temperature. I first had the 1000watt - then my son acquired a caravan and, my heater mysteriously disappeared!!! So I now use the 500watt but, never need to set it at full, usually about 3 on the thermostat keeps the van cosy all winter, obviously, if they forcast minus 5c or, something, then I nip out and wack it up a bit. It has never been necessary to 'drain-down' or, anything like that, just leave the shower room door open. You ask if it is necessary to use a 'timer', I cannot see the need if the heater you use has a thermostat, as the ambient temperature, inside your van, will dictate whether the heater's thermostat switches it on and off again when it warms up. I leave mine on day and night, checking occasionally that all is well. Keeping the vans interior around 10c has resulted in the soft furnishings never feeling damp or, the need for a de-humidifier - I have never owned one or, considered one benefical although, I respect other's opinions that they can be beneficial.

We used to be able to garage the 'van which was paricularly useful in winter, [we use it as a second vehicle so it does get out and about. Now it can't be garaged I have found that external screens are necessary to help regulate temperature and run a heater on low and on timed for a few hours a day. B-)

Archived