Which Sat Nav for Europe?

Tracker

To Tom Tom or to Garmin, that is the question?

Whether 'tis better to stick to the tried, tested, reliable and understood Tom Toms that have served us for years or whether t'would be better to try a Garmin?

Price is not really important - within reason - and we don't want fancy features - just a basic reliable sat nav.

We don't use POIs for Aires because they only tell you where it is not what it is and as so many are unattractive we prefer to choose one from the book and put the lat and long in manually therefore co-ordinate input in it's various formats is very important as is full UK postcode input.

The current trend of 'free' map updates for life appears attractive - if it is what it says - but that said we have no problems across Europe using a 7 year old Tom Tom as roads don't change that much and where they do it is usually pretty obvious where to go to stay on course?

Having endured the whims of re-routing on my car's posh but moody built in sat nav, which often adds miles to a journey due to out dated traffic info, we now find it easier to stick to our original route and ignore traffic updates and alternative routes and I wonder what the experience of others who have this facility on their Tom Tom or Garmin is and whether they still use it?

Does anyone have any experience of the sat nav holders that clip into the air vents as although my home made dash top bracket works very well and the unit is in my line of vision it does leave the sat nav stuck up in the air in full view of nearby neerdowells and I wonder if mounting a bit lower like in the air vents might make it a bit more discreet to the passing opportunist?

Any thoughts please?

Hi Rich

We have a good old TT XXL, now a few years old. We also have yearly updates on it. Only the usual problems you get with any sat nav, it can't see diversions, or road works etc. I think one still has to use common sense when getting from A to B any way. I always check the route in the map,while OH is driving by TT, just in case.

Re the connection to the air vents, we have one, but it is not much good,maybe different on a different dash. so always use the suction pad on to the window.We just take it off the pad when we leave the van, shopping etc.We had a 12 year old TT , which we gave to a friend, and it still works well for UK use.

Garmin where OK for sailing, but prefer th TT for roads.

PJay

I bought a Tomtom Start 25 and have been disappointed with it. The mapping is fine, the manner of updating it is not, you have to use software that connects to the TT website and that is the only way you can update or add POIs etc. The length of time it takes varies, I have spent 2 hours and 6 hours so far.

The Start 25 has low audio and has no audio out socket, so I am stuck with it.

Next time it will be a Garmin for me.

These are good, I use one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Essential-Anti-Slip-Board-Non-Stick-Mount-Car-Sat-Nav-GPS-Rubber-Mat-for-Tomtom-/130958395432?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e7dba8828

H

Hi Tracker

I have always had TT's and been very happy with them.

If you are considering another TT then you may be tempted by one of the new GO series units. Firstly let me say I have one, the GO 5000, and am very happy with it, BUT!

You need to be aware that this new range are totally different from the previous units. Whereas you could always quickly work with a new TT as the screens were all similar the new ones are completely different and so need time to get used to. Also some of the features on previous models are currently not available on the new units. The most obvious one is the ability to load your own POI's however it is strongly rumoured that this facility will be added soon in an update as have other facilities which are now available but not when the range were first launched.

The new units have a facility called My Places which is like Favourites on the old units. You can programme in about 100 places then when necessary select them as a destination or maybe a waypoint. You can also create about 100 routes which are routes you design using as many as 90+ waypoints and then save for future use. You can also select a saved route and add or delete waypoints or change the order you visit the waypoints. The waypoints don't have to be in your My Places list.

As I said we are pleased with our unit which we used in France. I had identified places we wanted to visit and saved the route before we went. We inevitably changed what we were doing from time to time but easily got back on track if needed. You can select a presaved route and the TT will take you to the start of the route from wherever you are. Long and Lat work well so great for Aires etc and the Traffic facility which on the GO5000 is live and does not need connection to a mobile phone worked very well in France.

You now have the facility to avoid a blocked road and you can ask for alternative routes and be offered up to 3 with distance and time information.

I have also been told by someone that they have been advised by TT that a Camper/Caravan version is in the pipeline which presumably includes the ability to input the vehicle size. I have always worked on the basis of if the road looks to small don't go there.

So if you are prepared to learn a different system offering lifetime maps and traffic which is faster in its response times, includes 3 million destinations including campsites and does Long and Lat then they are worth considering. Other than the GO 5000 and 6000 the rest of the GO range need the availability of a mobile phone to download traffic data.

Finally the Maps,ie Western Europe, are about 5.5gb so if you have not got a good broadband speed it will mean downloading the new one every 3 months will take a very long time. We have a 50mb download speed on our broadband and the map takes 45 minutes to download to the computer before it starts loading onto the TT.

Hope the above is useful.

Doug

Mickt - 2015-01-25 8:39 AM

So is there a new TomTom for europe that will let you put your own poi, s on

I think all TomToms will accept Western Europe mapping, but some have a small memory and no SD card so best to check there is enough memory. You can put any POI on a TT but it has to be loaded into your computer memory and then you have to go online to the TT website and the software there decides what can be loaded. There is no other way than through the TT website, no good if you are off line or have a slow broadband speed.

H

If you shan't a satnav which give far more flexible & better route planning have a look at ones that use the IGO Primo software, once you have used one you won't go back.

If you must have. Garmin or Tom Tom I think the Tom Tom's route planing is better but Garmin can be easier to enter your own POI's. The IGO software is based on the Tom Tom engine.

lennyhb - 2015-01-25 11:13 AM

..... The IGO software is based on the Tom Tom engine......

AFAIK, the IGO software was developed "from the ground up" by NavNgo.

I must admit, I find some of the debate about not buying an Integrated Car Radio and Satnav unit on the basis of price somewhat odd, given the prices (£299?) being bandied around here for a stand-alone unit.

Lenny's recommended Clarion NX502E, for instance, can be had in the UK for £399 delivered, complete with Radio (though without the DAB adapter), Satnav (IMO the best), TMC, reversing camera capability, CD/DVD player, ability to play from USB and SD card, etc. etc.

All this, and integrated neatly into the dashboard (though fitting will cost a bit more if you are faint-hearted and don't do it yourself).

You don't get lifetime maps though!

TT for me every time. I recently tried Garmin but I didn't get on with it and replaced it with the TT start 25 that included free lifetime map updates. I've used TT in Europe every year since they first came out and I have been very pleased with it in the 9 Western European Countries I have used it in. I didn't think the Garmin sound quality was as good as good old Jane. Yes, you need a pc to load new maps and POIs on the Start 25 but I haven't found this to be a problem. In fact I have just loaded POI for LPG ready for the off in a week or two.

Robinhood - 2015-01-25 12:36 PM

lennyhb - 2015-01-25 11:13 AM

..... The IGO software is based on the Tom Tom engine......

AFAIK, the IGO software was developed "from the ground up" by NavNgo.

Only going on the info from Clarion.

Will Mentioned a Navman (now Mio) I had one once worse route planning but graphics were nice.

I use Garmin with lifetime maps. I travel alone and use Garmin Basecamp programme to plan my route on a small laptop using . Once planned with waypoints the route is uploaded to the Satnav. Using this system means that I go the way I want, not what the Garmin suggests.

Regarding mounting I use a self adhesive metal disc which is fixed to the top of the dash on the right (being right handed) The sucker on the Garmin mounting bracket is then attached to the fixed mounting disc.

This arrangement puts the satnav up more into the eyeline and does not leave marks on the windscreen.

I have always used Garmin but which ever make you get ensure that it has enough memory for updates or has a slot for a memory card.

836828568_garminmount.jpg.e2776ea1fa0ca4d0b1650fd665d03fdd.jpg

I use a homemade mount that sits on top of the instrument binnacle just below my direct line of vision of the road ahead and it enables me to follow the route and upcoming junctions or change destination easily as as well KPH speed far better than the speedo without taking my eyes off the road.

I have been using this for 13 years now ever my first sat nav and as it is held in place by a thin bungee hooked to the back of the binnacle it never falls off.

Yes I know it is a bit of a bodge, but I don't intend changing it as it is so quick and simples to remove and there are no tell tale marks or holders left behind for prying eyes to notice!!

Other mounting methods are available!!

1262035104_P1030740_1_2-2-Copy.JPG.37dd2596b184b35f9ba9b353d04f7024.JPG

P1030741_2_2.JPG.2c4864ba7c657744f2349407bf8af635.JPG

Hi MickT

The new GO series of Tomtoms do NOT currently have the facility to enable you to add your own POI's to them either individually or in your own Catagories. I think there is a good chance this facility will be added shortly in one of their updates so if you can hang on. There has been a big demand to add the facility and TT have said they are working on it. They have also got a number of users to test what they are developing.

I have a GO5000 and find it very good although it works differently to all previous TT models we have had. The screens and the way you work through them are totally different. The response times are quicker and the ability to create, save and modify your own routes with nearly 100 waypoints is a big new feature.

I suspect that any other model than from the new GO series will have the usual POI facility. We went to France with ours having sorted out where we wanted to go and the route we would take before we went.

Doug

I do understand why some folks like POIs and waypoints and route planning and all that and I see their value.

However, they are of no interest to me at all as our route changes from day to day as the whim, weather, terrain or whatever takes our fancy dictates!

Even on a long haul from say Calais to the Nordkapp I find it just as easy to put in each town or Aire as required having been selected from a map or a book with pictures.

I do sometimes get over excited in planning ahead and enter several towns ahead for the next day and then refer back to each one in the previous destinations menu as we approach the next but all too often the route changes and some of 'em become redundant.

The joy of short routes is that any re-routing whether by choice or by missing a turning is very quick whereas re-routing on a long trip takes longer by which time a route correcting turn can be missed as it is not onscreen soon enough.

For us it is better to travel than to arrive and the journey is a large part of the holiday although I do appreciate that others take a different view in that the journey is a just means to an end and not an end in itself!!

Hi tracker!

I've used snooper sat nav. Absolutely spot on! Takes us right to front door of campsites. Also can input size of van you drive. Also if you're somewhere you need to find supermarket or petrol station it will give you a list around where you are.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info about adding poi, s and tomtom may add this facilty soon.I am still using a Go700 model, had it for 10 years or more. This model you can add more or less to it.I have had to remove all voices bar 1 to free up memory space.On the new model, s with spoken word do you have to use this.

Hi Mickt

You don't have to use the voice control system on the new ones. I have tried the voice control, I got in the car turned the ignition on so TT boots up. I then said "Hello Tomtom" then when it asked said "Go Home" and when it sorted out the route I just tapped the wheel on the Tomtom screen to go.

The GO5000 I have has the Western Europe map on it and the internal Memory has about 500mb spare capacity. There is however a Micro Memory slot which will take at least a 16GB card.

We use our iPad as our SatNav. With a 10" screen its brilliant and the CoPilot GPS app uses TomTom .ov2 files. 

We've been using it for two year on our extended trip to Europe. 
 The UK/All of Europe Maps cost 30 quid and we haven't had a problem yet.
It has the added advantage of being a multiuser device - internet, email, camera, E-reader, word processor etc.
We have the WiFi only model which doesn't have an internal GPS receiver so we use a Dual GPS Receiver that sits in a special removable mount on the dashboard and links to the iPad via Bluetooth just like your mobile phone. The Dual unit is outstanding pulling in signal from up to 10 satellites. Its the same unit light plane pilots use. 

The CoPilot app has all the features of, and uses the same maps as the big guns. Plus it has aded features the others don't like being able to drag and drop your route. 
We use it in conjunction with the CampingCar.Info phone app and the CampingCard ACSI app.
It just works so well and the screen size means you get a bigger picture and its much easier to see and read than those 4'' jobs.

SatNav1.JPG.1c1e894da054b095d415bc3253e506bf.JPG

SatNav2.JPG.c99f2a9c96b10a0177bd814be7fe57f4.JPG

Paul M Who - 2015-01-31 8:36 PM

We use our iPad as our SatNav. With a 10" screen its brilliant and the CoPilot GPS app uses TomTom .ov2 files. ... which doesn't have an internal GPS receiver so we use a Dual GPS Receiver that sits in a special removable mount on the dashboard and links to the iPad via Bluetooth just like your mobile phone.....It just works so well and the screen size means you get a bigger picture and its much easier to see and read than those 4'' jobs

I envy those who can cope with techno-combinations of that sort, which I find a bit daunting. I like to be able to plan and download a route in advance, which until recently Garmins have always allowed me to do because my latest, a Nuvi 40, doesn't seem to allow that. And although I have tried downloading lots of overnight stops as a POI file that just seems to clutter the map beyond being anble to see anything much, so I've given that up as hopeless. All of which I suspect are my fault, for not understanding how to do it properly.

And then satnavs are not infinitely durable and we've had one conk out on us during a tour. We've accumulated several Garmins over the years and some of the old nes are still working, so now I take a spare. The simpler ones are relativly cheap; my Nuvi was under £100 with lifetime Western Europe maps, which are enough for me.

As our touring style has evolved we tend not to plan all that far ahead, so using the paper book (eg All the Aires) to decide where to head for next and then putting the Lat & Long coordinates into the satnav, seems to work well enough. If we are doing a longer transit journey and want to take or avoid a particular route then I save a few waypoints into the device, so I can easily call up the next one when the time comes. It works for me.

I doubt if there is a single perfect satnav device which will suit all motorhomers. It depends too much on what sort of touring you so, which varries among us far too much.

My 4 pennyworth is as follows.

My SatNav is a TomTom XXL some 5 years old now. I update the maps ever 2/3 years on one of the sale deals for around £30 for Europe.

The ability to put on my POI is important as is my UK Speed camera Data as I try to keep my clean licence so.

Only problem is that the memory is small and as such you have to chose from 3 map options for Europe. I use central that covers Spain to Germany and Italy. But further afield would need reloading the saved map from my laptop. I am more than happy.

But I also have a Trafficmaster Sat Nav called Smartnav, which came free as part of my Citroen Relay Camper free for 3 years. This works in a totally different way to any other device.

While you have a small colour screen which is also linked to a Basic GPS Tracker. The main feature difference is it's basically a Mobile Phone service with a screen map that links you to the Professional Routing service that Trucks use and operates the roadside cameras you see Grey post alongside all A Roads and over motorways.

On feeding in the data of where you want to go it calls the computer and downloads the best ,fastest route based upon real time data from the Europe wide roadside post information for that moment. While traveling it will call to advise you of problems on route and offer or not an option to avoid or not the delay with milage and time saving.

Far less complicated that my TomTom and less control, but I use it all the time as it's so accurate on routing and traffic.

It's not cheap but I was told that they will do a special deal for campers at £50PA that allows self input routing free of cost but calls to the CS for other more complicated destinations is charged per call. Never had one in 3 years.

But each time you turn it on it updates the maps and Europe is £10? a month when you need it. But then I use my Tom Tom.

Re touring. I like to have POI's on my sat nav as I wild Camp mainly and as I pass a service point within say 1 mile of my route I can divert if needed to drop and load in peace during the day.

But I chose my route using a map, so we tour along and through the more rural areas and not where the Tom Tom sends you. Through remote areas and National Parks as well as areas that interest me which takes me to some rarely visited places remote and historic.

But then each to their own.

http://www.teletrac.co.uk/smartnav

Hi Rich, for more that 5 years now we have used a Navman on our annual trip to Europe/UK. It has served us well and like all tech toys as you become more familiar with them they become easier to use. It is fitted with a 4gb mini SD card to take Western Europe, NZ & Au.Karen our guiding voice has worked so hard that the speaker is no longer in good shape. Two weeks ago I would have said buy a Navman but now my choice would be a Tom Tom. We have just taken delivery of our new AT Tracker FB that has a built in SN but guess what Fiat do not have Australian maps so no builtin SN. The dealer supplied a new 6inch screen Tom Tom as an alternative .My initial experience (1000klms) is that it is extremely easy to use and so far I am very happy with this new unit. I like the ability to simply enter the whole address as it is normally written rather than first enter the street then town etc. not sure about the poi situation as I have not needed to look for that option. Like you I plan more or less as I go within a general overall direction. The Navman did allow me to enter addresses of European hotels while still in Sydney so that as I drove away from the rental pickup there was no issues. In summary  Tom Tom for me. Cheers Gary.

Archived