GLOBAL WARMING

Clive

Yes, I am fed up with the end of summer already! Where is this global warming they keep threatening us with?. We had to light the Rayburn last night!. Its just not good enough!. Janet has already taken out of the camper all the part used containers of food stuffs and replaced them with new sealed ones. The inside has been vacuum'd and my favourite seat cushion has been cleaned with a fabric cleaner. Only my cushion I must add, is she trying to say something here? Waste and fresh water tanks emptied, loo tanks emptied and cleaned with disinfectant. Heater drained down. If we take the camper for a spin now it will be with a flask of hot drink and threats to anyone who wants the loo!. Long balmy evenings seem so far away and I want to go exploring with my little motorbike. Already looking forward to Spring and the Peterborough show. I hate winter but too much "baggage" means we have to stay here. Moan Moan Moan. C.

We only have to put the blow heater on in the rooms we are using: otherwise it's been warm here in the Midlands So cosy socks up on the Rayburn, relax with a good book and a snifter of something maybe ......... where did you say you lived again hubby enjoys a tipple ;-)

I know the weather is getting depressing but I used my camper in the winter last year for the first time instead of laying it up for the winter ok its a pain to to turn the lever to empty the heater! on returning home. But no sunday drivers or crowds, loads of wild camping, nobody seems to mind when out of season in some of the tourist traps. The heating systems are now adequate to keep you warm and inboard tanks dont freeze up unless its artic conditions. I just love getting away from the everyday humdrum life. Pete

Come on Clive, it's a bt early to be laying up the camper. At the start of next month we're off to Bridgewater for a weekend to see the carnival and fireworks. We will quite probably have a weekend away later in November with friends too, then in February it's the NEC show and we usually stay on a not too far away site with friends for a weekend there. We might even get a weekend or two in away on our own, who knows? D.

nil desperandum Clive We use ours all winter, yes we do drain down inbetween weekends away if the temperatures get really low, and I get the unenviable job of standing out in the cold filling up again (!) but I don't mind. We are away all christmas and newyear this year - I am really looking forward to it. Not been cold here though - not had the central heating on yet :-D Spring will soon be here (lol) Carol

We also use our 'van all throughout the winter in the U.K. for the past 3 years - at least one week-end way each month. The Truma even managed to keep the drafty Bessacarr warm, although hook-up was needed to avoid the dreaded voltage drop. The winter months can be very beautiful - I especially remember January in the snow and ice in the peak district a couple of years ago. (lol) :->

According to NASA's website, there is also global warming on Mars, Jupiter and a few other planets. No doubt all those Little Green Men are also driving 4x4s? Or could it be that the sun is getting hotter? All the computer models the tree-huggers use work on the assumption that the sun's heat is a constant; when I was a trainee computer programmer 40 years ago the first acronym we were taught was GIGO - garbage in, garbage out.

One little detail we never get told these days is that on the overall scale of things the Earth is heading back towards an ice age. The last ice age covered Britain with a 1.5KM thick layer of ice. Given the choice I'd rather take my chances with a couple of degrees increase than try to live under that! D.

Clive I never took you for a whimp! My goodness, now that you're a Grandad you're getting old and cranky!!! Me thinks you need to get some thicker thermals, and maybe some of those lovely tartan slippers with pom-poms on to go with your rug! Oh, and don't forget the incontinence pads ... just to be safe (or is that why only YOUR cushion got cleaned???)!! No, Clive, put your spanner away ... you know me by now ... only joking my old chuck!!! (lol) We've had the heating on in our place since we got back off holiday in early September - we've got an old single storey cottage, 1860s era, it's not as well insulated as more modern properties, so consequently it needs a bit more heat. It's lovely and cool in the summer months though when everyone else is boiling (when we get a summer that is!). We are going to the NEC show later this month, staying in the camper, albeit staying at a certain motorhome dealer's overnight area on the way down and back (might even drop into the jacuzzi ... bliss!). Then probably have another night or two away more locally (Withernsea - quiet seaside resort where we park up next to the seafront for the night then hit the shops and car-boot/market in the morning). Then Southport and Blackpool for Boxing Day to New Year's day. Last year at Southport we had a lovely day pottering about the town then on the beach with the dogs, chasing a ball along the crispy sand and frozen pools of water - watching dogs skate is hillarious! Can't wait to go again to see more this time round (had to return 2 days after we got there last year due to a seriously ill dog so never actually got to Blackpool). Come on Clive, get yourself prepared and out there ... you know you want to!!! ;-) :-> B-)

We use our van in the winter months too. Next month off to Brighton for the "Old Crocks" - London to Brighton run. Then staying near my son for Christmas, so much more peaceful than in the house with noisy over excited boys rushing around at crack of dawn! I don't mind the cold too much but hate the rain. I am a bit whimpish so take a hot water bottle to cuddle.

Hi folks, I,d love to as well but we have too much "baggage" to be able to escape over winter apart from the odd day. The social (wife,s) diary is full most weeks etc. etc. but we plan to escape to the sun for February to see more relatives. Off topic question, do any of the continental motorhomes have full kitchens in them yet? Like 4 burner hob, grill and proper Oven that will cook pork crackling?

[QUOTE]Clive - 2006-10-05 10:54 PM Hi folks, Off topic question, do any of the continental motorhomes have full kitchens in them yet? Like 4 burner hob, grill and proper Oven that will cook pork crackling? [/QUOTE] Yes, they are coming, I have seen them on the higher spec Pilote and Laika 'vans and some others that I can't remember. Not on any german 'vans yet.

[QUOTE]Dave Newell - 2006-10-05 10:58 AM Come on Clive, it's a bt early to be laying up the camper. At the start of next month we're off to Bridgewater for a weekend to see the carnival and fireworks. We will quite probably have a weekend away later in November with friends too, then in February it's the NEC show and we usually stay on a not too far away site with friends for a weekend there. We might even get a weekend or two in away on our own, who knows? D.[/QUOTE] Thats why theres global warming, we go to glastobury, the route carnival takes has it's own weather pattern (lol)

Archived