Silver gap year in America

BMK

Hi. We relatively novice motor homers, having bought our Hymer 3 years ago. We've taken the Hymer onto the continent for holidays a number of times as well as having weekend breaks in England

We're planning a boggy next year; a year long tour of Ctanada and America in our Hymer. We've got LOTS of questions and need LOADS of advice.

So far we've sort of decided on shipping the Hymer to Halifax,Canada. We'd explore Canada for a while, then head off to America.

We appreciate any advice/information on the likelihood of getting an extended visa, insurance of the Hymer and health insurance of us, how to collect post. It'd also be great to hear from anyone who's done something similar

Sounds like you will be living the dream that many of us have so good luck and hope it all works out for you. We did come across a German couple when we were in a hired VW camper in California who had shipped a VW camper over to the States from Germany but they had friends who lived in the US so had a postal address for insurance and paperwork. The normal time is limited to I think just 90 days and you cannot just nip over the boarder into Canada for a few days and go back as they would not like that I think you might have to fly home and leave the van and go back. Have fun and let us know what happens please. B-)

We did a year touring the USA in an ex Cruise America rental RV we bought then sold before we returned to the UK. We had our two year old daughter with us.

If you want any info please send me a PM and we can get in touch. I am at home recovering from a hip replacement op so looking for things to keep me occupied.

Fairly sure the 90 day limit is only if you use the Via Waiver scheme, if you apply for a full visa then you can get 12 months.

Sounds an amazing trip, look forward to hearing / reading more about it all, including how you get on with shipping the motorhome over there.

Met an amazing older couple last year. They were parked up beside us in an old but immaculate VW camper. Somehow, we got talking about touring Canada and USA, which they had done. I assumed they would have rented a van over there, further discussion elicited that this was something they had done in the 1960's, in a bubble car which they shipped over from Liverpool. Adventurous or what?

Hi B&MK

Certainly an interesting project. We've hired in the US several times which is straight forward. We didn't have a M/H here at the time.

I guess its a matter of weighing up the shipping costs, insurance and a possible spares problem should there be a breakdown. Whereas to hire on a one way trip basis in Canada and the US is straight forward. "You pays yer money and does it". If it breaks-down you walk away. Taking yours ???

If we were to go again which is unlikely I would choose hiring for the convenience ... but ... leaving a trusted Hymer here while you hire another elsewhere is a hard choice.

Sitting here pondering over your question I see no advantage in taking your Hymer.

PS re-reading others comments again the VW is mentioned. Of course there are hundreds of those in the US so no problems for repairs.

Will

My advice is to first go onto the Silk Route motorhome club site, and then maybe join it. They have members who have shipped vans on ro-ro ferries to various parts of the world.

What you must ensure is that the ship does not call into any west African ports on its way stateside. Where there is a strong possibility your vehicle will be broken into.

Thanks for all the helpful responses. I think getting an extended visa might be our biggest problem. We'll know if that's possible when we have our interview at the Anerican Embassy.

I'll checkout the silk route website. Thanks for the advice on avoiding routes that stop at African ports. We had already been advised not to ship the van to Baltimore for the same reason.

I would be very interested to read the article about the couple who had done a similar trip. As I said we're new motor homers, so I'd be very grateful if you could let me have the full title of the publication where their article was published.

I'll let you know how our plans progress. Fingers crossed and stuff

Unfortunately 9/11 gave the Yanks the excuse to hate and mistrust everybody. We tried to do as you are planning back in 2008. Flew out to Texas in 2007 and purchased an RV. They stored it for us until March 2008. In the meantime we tried twice at the American Embassy for a visa to travel for 2 years - no chance we were told, that's tantamount to immigration through the back door.

Frankly the Yanks make the rules up as they go along, so you can't plan accordingly. Forget sneeking in via Canada. To the Yanks any time spent in Canada is considered 'North America' and so counts towards you time entitlement.

Agree entirely with previous posts re renting. Look at Motorhome Experts. com for one-way rentals. We spent 90 days touring the west and 90 days touring the east - go for the west every time.

Happy touring!!

Thanks for your post. Hopefully our American cousins will be looking more favourably on us Brits now. In terms of shipping our Hymer, buying in the states or renting, we're taking on board all the advice we can get so haven't finalised our plans yet. A lot depends on what type of visa we're issued

Thanks for the info on the difference between a 90 day and full visa. That information will be really useful when we get around to applying. I have heard that the embassy require a lot of financial information. E.g do you own property. I guess that's partly to make sure tourers have enough money to support themselves while in the states and that they have a reason to come home!

Cheers

Thanks for the info on the difference between a 90 day and full visa. That information will be really useful when we get around to applying. I have heard that the embassy require a lot of financial information. E.g do you own property. I guess that's partly to make sure tourers have enough money to support themselves while in the states and that they have a reason to come home!

Cheers

Archived