Route North to Oban

duncanl

Hi,

I'm planning our first trip up into Scotland and would like some advice please on the best route to Oban considering our vehicle is 8.9m long.

Our route will take us up the M74 and have been told to avoid the A82 to the east of Loch Lomond due to narrowness and roadworks.

Would really appreciate any other bits of advice and happy to go the long way round for it to be stress free !

Thanks

Duncan

Most of the A82 is fine, but the stretch along the Northern part of Loch Lomond can be less than relaxing if the road is busy, as it narrows and has a number of bends with rock abutting the road side.

Quite passable, however, as the coaches coming the other way (and past which you may have to squeeze) will attest.

Having said that, the alternative route described above is only a couple of miles further (it looks more), is on average a little easier to drive, and is quite scenic.

Given the choice (which I have had a good few times) I'd go for the M74, M73, M80, M9, A84, A85.

paulmold - 2015-01-26 7:22 PM

Head from M74 towards Stirling, then A84 then A85. Avoids Glasgow and Loch Lomond.

Agree with this, been this way Countless times to the Highlands, Now all the roadworks are complete it is a good route. The route beside Loch Lomond is just too scary.

Ray

Shame to miss out Loch Lomond try M74 ,M8,M898 Erskine bridge ,A82 Loch Lomond side to Tarbet,A83 Tarbet via Rest and be Thankful to Inverary ,A819 Inverary to A85 This route bypasses Devils Pulpit worst part of Loch Lomond road Brilliant scenery

Ps Google Earth great tool to checkout road types etc

Have to agree that the road beside Loch Lomond is challenging i think more challaenging than the 'pass of the cattle' to applecross. Its the stones sticking out that will make you continually check how much distance you have left in your nearside mirror.

All good post's above and nothing wrong with them, but there is an alternative with decent roads and nothing to worry about concerning the length of your vehicle, it means taking the ferry from either Gourock to Dunoon or from Mclnroy's Point to Hunter's Bay (My preferred choice).

M74 to Kirkmuirhill, from there

B7086 to Strathaven.

A726 to East Kilbride.

A727 to Paisley follow the airport sign's and pick up the M8 for :-

Port Glasgow, Greenock, Gourock. It's your choice then for which ferry, Gourock or Mclnroy's Point which is just pass Gourock.

All that route above can be by-passed if you just go up the M74 until the M8 then take the Glasgow direction and onto Paisley then follow on the direction for Greenock above.

Whichever ferry you take, when you get to the other side you need to pick up the A815 to Sandbank or Strachur but carry on past Loch Eck until it meets the A83 and it is then signed for Oban via Inveraray.

This is a lovely route and I will be going this way again later in the year, I use the Mclnroy's Point to Hunter's Bay ferry (off the ferry, turn Right and that's it A815)

Dave

hellyro - 2015-01-27 8:22 AM

Shame to miss out Loch Lomond try M74 ,M8,M898 Erskine bridge ,A82 Loch Lomond side to Tarbet,A83 Tarbet via Rest and be Thankful to Inverary ,A819 Inverary to A85 This route bypasses Devils Pulpit worst part of Loch Lomond road Brilliant scenery

Ps Google Earth great tool to checkout road types etc

We live near Oban and always use this route when going north or south. We have travelled it many times.

We avoid using the Loch Lomond route north of Tarbet at all costs. I

t is very narrow with tight bends.

• 4 months later...
lazarus - 2015-02-04 10:36 AM

I drove up the side of Loch Lomond in the summer in my swift kontiki, at least it wasn't boring! You do have to concentrate.stayed over night next to the loch mozzies unfortunately don't go on holidays!

I just did this run at the cost of a wing mirror on the CI Carioca - I was trying too hard not to hit the sticking out rocks at my side and the motorhome coming the other way was trying too hard to avoid driving into the Loch :'( Unfortunately we were both in the middle of convoys of traffic so couldn't stop to find out what happened to their mirror. Have to find a replacement mirror now....

dmalham - 2015-06-12 9:24 PM

lazarus - 2015-02-04 10:36 AM

I drove up the side of Loch Lomond in the summer in my swift kontiki, at least it wasn't boring! You do have to concentrate.stayed over night next to the loch mozzies unfortunately don't go on holidays!

I just did this run at the cost of a wing mirror on the CI Carioca - I was trying too hard not to hit the sticking out rocks at my side and the motorhome coming the other way was trying too hard to avoid driving into the Loch :'( Unfortunately we were both in the middle of convoys of traffic so couldn't stop to find out what happened to their mirror. Have to find a replacement mirror now....

As I said 'Just too Scary' to be funny. The route through or past Stirling is so much more relaxing, the REAL scenery doesnt start until after Stirling anyway. Unfortunately cannot go this year...awaiting a Heart Op. Hebrides again next year, all being well. (the weather isnt too good this year anyway !).

Nice part of Scotland around Oban, spoilt only by the timber lorries wanting more than their share of the road, travelling down from Fort William to Oban last easter met a red Volvo from a well known haulage company in SPEAN BRIDGE who wanted more than his share of the road and was at least 2 foot over the white line and proceeded to connect with my mirror--i myself drive an artic for a living and know that this collision could have been avoided if the driver was at all competent in his job,--So a word of warning if you meet any timber lorries be ready to take evasive action !! :D

I tend to find that on roads that are narrow and twisty with rocks or wall on the N/S I often fold in the N/S or both mirrors and this helps a lot. I do have a rear view camera and one the road opens up just push the mirrors back out.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a post script to this - I managed to get a replacement long arm manual mirror for £36 from acecarparts on eBay which I ordered DESPITE the fact it said "Not Motorhomes" on the advert. But, hey, it looked identical in the photo and it was much cheaper than the official ones (it's a Ducatto 14 chassis). Well, I thought, as a typical Yorkshireman, that's my sort of price, so I ordered it thinking I could I could flog it on eBay if it was wrong. Anyway, it arrived and, 10 minutes later, Bertha had a nice, shiny new mirror. :-D Now I just have to fix my rear view camera which died over the winter.

Dave

Archived