LED Bulbs and Transformers?

Solomongrundy

About a year ago I changed my MH interior Halogen bulbs for G4 24SMD 12V LED bulbs bought on Ebay at around £6 for ten.

They have worked okay for a year now with no failures or problems.

Someone recently asked me where I bought the bulbs and I looked up the website to see if they still sold them.

On the advertising site is now a warning - 'Do not use these G4 LED lights to replace Halogen bulbs as a Transformer is required' – I'm sure the warning wasn't there when I bought mine.

Should I have a 'transformer', have I been lucky not to have had a problem or should I ignore the warning?

Maybe the ones they sell now are not so voltage tolerance, the better quality ones have voltage stabilisers built in. When your batteries are charging on EHU or Solar the voltage can be up to 14.7 volts.

At that price I wouldn't worry about it, buy some spares and if the odd one fails after a few months bin it, cheaper than buying expensive ones.

I had a similar problem at home with G4 Halogen kitchen lights, that run off the mains.

The indications on the transformer made it look as it the the output was 12 DC, in fact it was either a deep ripple in the 12v output or actually a 12 AC output, I have not yet worked out, I think the latter.

I have replaced the G4s in the m/home with leds and using the old halogens in the kitchen when the originals blow.

Rgds

tonyishuk - 2015-01-28 5:29 PM

I had a similar problem at home with G4 Halogen kitchen lights, that run off the mains.

The indications on the transformer made it look as it the the output was 12 DC, in fact it was either a deep ripple in the 12v output or actually a 12 AC output, I have not yet worked out, I think the latter.

I have replaced the G4s in the m/home with leds and using the old halogens in the kitchen when the originals blow.

Rgds

The older transformers/power supplies were un-regulated 12v ac, modern ones sold as halogen/LED transformers are regulated 12v dc output.

Archived