Oils for motorhome engines

Infinityuk

Hi, I'm new to the forum so don't know if this has been queried before, I have looked at some previous post but could not see anyyhing.

I have just swapped my 2005 Autoquest for a 2012 Autosleeper. Both units are Peugoet based. The engine in my old unit was the low BHP 2ltr, which I had just had the timing belt and water pump changed as well as.a full service. Making sure I had oil for top ups I purchased a 5ltr of synthetic 5-40s for that engine. The new unit is the 2.2 130bhp Euro 5. It appears the new unit is spec'd at synthetic 5-30s. My query is does anyone know if I can use the 5-40s I have to top up etc or is or a no no. ?

My trips are usually long mileage including a lot of motorway/autoroutes.

Many thanks for any advice Will

The key point is that for your Euro5 engine you must use a low SAPS oil to protect your particulate filter.

Although some 5w/40 low SAPS oils do exist it is unlikely that you have one if you bought it for your previous engine.

Best to get the correct 5w/30 low SAPS oil e.g. Total Quartz Ineo ECS 5w/30.

Maybe I have been lucky, but in many years of motorhoming I have never had any van that leaked or burnt any oil at all between services and if yours does not only would I draw it to the attention of Peugeot before the 3 year warranty expires - assuming it has not already - but I would buy on this one occasion a litre of their own brand of very expensive oil and keep the receipt just to ensure that they do not have any possible get out of jail free card should there be a problem.

The handbook will tell you the exact specifications and after the expiry of any warranty period, in view of the complexity of modern diesels, I personally would not deviate from that specification whatever make of oil I used just to save a few quid.

Hi Infinityuk Same as Steve say's you need to use the Total Quartz ineo ecs 5w-30, I also have an Auto Sleeper Broadway 2.2 Peugeot and I get the oil off Ebay quite reasonably priced. I would also think of joining the Auto Sleeper forum as there is lots of info and knowledgeable people on there.

John.

Archived