Piaggio MP3

hymer1942

Hi Barry,

Like you, we rather fancied an MP3 after seeing one on an easylifter trailer behind a Hymer at the western show this year. The missus spent a long time talking to the guy and trying it out. The following week we managed to get a 250cc model(2007) on gumtree that had only done 3000miles. Have we still got it...............er no.......... Why? Well the bike went like the preverbial off a shovel and was areal dream to ride. Got lots of looks of admiration from people and when easylifter eventually delivered the trailer the bike towed well behind my B654 so we were set for sunny spain and Mojaccar.. The bike suffers from over complicated design features. The seat is too high to enable you to safely touch the ground which means taking the whole weight of both bike and pillion on one arthritic hip joint. I know that you are supposed to engage the front wheel lock but you know it but the pillion doesn't. The lock disengages at quite low revs so moving in a traffic queue becomes a nightmare switching on and off again the pillion doesn't instantly become aware of this so juggling staying upright becomes a bit of a bummer. The scoot is quite heavy (220 kilos with fuel and with a high positioned pillion the centre of gravity is very high especially with all the engineering at the front end suspension and steering. Next problem is that the bike is covered with sensors that won't allow you to do things unless they are working and if one goes wrong you need to reset the PCB engine controls. For that you need a Piaggio dealer who has access to Piaggios network. Other bike dealers do not have this function. Mine went odd and I had to ride 70miles to the nearest dealer, leave the bike, get the bus and do it all over again the other way round. Finally, the seat is too wide for a normal 5' 5" lady passenger. You know Linda, and she's game for a laugh, but 30 mins on the back of the MP3 caused pain not experienced since childbirth.

Don't get me wrong. For a one up experienced biker with an inside length leg measurement of more than 32 inches the bike is as good as a scooter gets and is really fun to ride. However it's heavy, over complicated, expensive to repair and we didn't need that sort of hassle .

Now in Spain with a couple of days to Mojaccar the honda SH125 on the modified easylifter is just great but I didn't ride it on the A7 from Cabopino to marbella as they at all mad and it makes the M25 look like a country lane.

See you at the agm

Cheers........ Ned (Andrew and Linda)

Hi Barry,

Like you, we rather fancied an MP3 after seeing one on an easylifter trailer behind a Hymer at the western show this year. The missus spent a long time talking to the guy and trying it out. The following week we managed to get a 250cc model(2007) on gumtree that had only done 3000miles. Have we still got it...............er no.......... Why? Well the bike went like the preverbial off a shovel and was areal dream to ride. Got lots of looks of admiration from people and when easylifter eventually delivered the trailer the bike towed well behind my B654 so we were set for sunny spain and Mojaccar.. The bike suffers from over complicated design features. The seat is too high to enable you to safely touch the ground which means taking the whole weight of both bike and pillion on one arthritic hip joint. I know that you are supposed to engage the front wheel lock but you know it but the pillion doesn't. The lock disengages at quite low revs so moving in a traffic queue becomes a nightmare switching on and off again the pillion doesn't instantly become aware of this so juggling staying upright becomes a bit of a bummer. The scoot is quite heavy (220 kilos with fuel and with a high positioned pillion the centre of gravity is very high especially with all the engineering at the front end suspension and steering. Next problem is that the bike is covered with sensors that won't allow you to do things unless they are working and if one goes wrong you need to reset the PCB engine controls. For that you need a Piaggio dealer who has access to Piaggios network. Other bike dealers do not have this function. Mine went odd and I had to ride 70miles to the nearest dealer, leave the bike, get the bus and do it all over again the other way round. Finally, the seat is too wide for a normal 5' 5" lady passenger. You know Linda, and she's game for a laugh, but 30 mins on the back of the MP3 caused pain not experienced since childbirth.

Don't get me wrong. For a one up experienced biker with an inside length leg measurement of more than 32 inches the bike is as good as a scooter gets and is really fun to ride. However it's heavy, over complicated, expensive to repair and we didn't need that sort of hassle .

Now in Spain with a couple of days to Mojaccar the honda SH125 on the modified easylifter is just great but I didn't ride it on the A7 from Cabopino to marbella as they at all mad and it makes the M25 look like a country lane.

See you at the agm

Cheers........ Ned (Andrew and Linda)

Archived