Brittany Ferries and Dogs

thomas

Hi.

In the past , we have always used the Tunnel for crossing the channel, mainly because of it being so "dog friendly" with the mutt travelling in the van with us. This Summer I was considering using the crossing from Portsmouth to Caen. In view of the length of crossing, when the dog would be left in the 'van on his own, I would be interested in hearing about experiences good and bad, from anyone using this crossing. He is a highly - strung large Old English Sheepdog. He loves being in the'van, travels well, but hates buses and wagons. I intend speaking with the vet re-calming remedies but your advice would be appreciated, before making a booking.

Many Thanks.

Our dalmatian has taken shorter Channel ferry crossings completely in her stride and I wouldn't have any concerns about leaving her in our MH on a longer route like Portsmouth to Caen, although having used those routes in the past I'm not really a fan - long enough to take a big chunk out of a day if crissing during the day and too short to get any sleep if you go overnight.

As far as we're aware our dog just curls up and sleeps during the ferry trip because nothing is going on around her in the car deck. But she's not "highly strung" and I would have thought that presents a real potential problem if you would be leving your dog for six hours or so. Presumably you want to do Portsmouth -Caen to save driving distance but is there sufficient advantage to make it worth drugging the dog to be able to do so?

Why not try a short ferry crossing (i.e. Dover-Calais) to start with, to see how your dog copes with that?

Hi, can only report on Plymouth/Roscoff with Brittany Ferries, but on that crossing you can book a check up on your dogs about 3hrs into the crossing, even let them out onto the vehicle deck for a stretch of the legs. Might be worth enquiring with BF before you book. Our 3 dogs just take it in their stride tho' Have done tunnel in the past and Dover/Calais routes, and never had a problem, I think they just treat it as part of the trip. Good luck!!!!

Archived