Fiamma carry box

Jonboymentalhealth

We have one one the back of our Swift Sundance because of the absence of a garage.

We can get in 2 recliners, 2 ordinary chairs( lightweight of course) silver screen, 25 litre plastic water container and sundry hoses.

Make sure you get the maximum load that you can put on the rear panel of the motorhome from the manufacturer.

This will of course come out of your payload and be aware of the effect of this weight on your overhang.

Without this our motorhoming would be much less pleasurable.

We have one on the back of our Sundance as well. Only disadvantage is the added length, of the bike rack being out, have to remember it's there when you reverse!! Holds all the chairs, table, ground sheet, wellies, much better than using the interior of van, and as we don't have bikes , great storage for us.

PJay

Hi jonboy'..

So, presumably you've already got a bike rack fitted..?

If not, I'd agree that the "L" wall brackets are probably better way of attaching them...

We had a bike rack/Fiamma box(320L?) combo on a previous van,and to my eye it did standout too far from the back wall.

We never had a lot of weight in ours(2 folding chairs,lead,levellers etc) because if you just pressed down lightly on the frame, you could see the wall of the van flex. 8-)

(obviously, that was due to the van, not the rack or box).

I have the next size down 320 version. Only use it when we take the motorcycles with us, to carry the required clothing, boots etc. i.e bulky but not particularly heavy items (15kgs load). I fit mine directly over the bike rails on the Fiamma 2 bike rack - fitting & removal is straightforward, but it is a bit of a pain to store when not in use (the bike rack is used for it's intended purpose when not taking the motorcycles).

Mine has been totally waterprooof, even during all day, torrential rain motorway runs. The gas strut support on the lid makes loading easy. Works very well for our requirements.

I suspect that it would be very easy to overload the bigger box - as with most things motorhome related, it pays to keep a close eye on weight !

Do you mean the 'Ultra Box' Like This ?

http://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-Storage-Boxes-for-caravan-and-motorhome/Fiamma-Ultra-box-500

We had one of these for 6 years or so, transfering it when we changed vans, always mounted on to an existing Bike rack. Very Stable and always took all of the Bulky but light gear, that wouldn't fit into the van. Waterproof and robust, just don't forget it's there when reversing, and don't overload it with heavy gear, our bike rack had a Max of 60kg, that includes the box itself of course.

They are usually for sale 2nd hand at a cheaper price, from folk who now have a garage, like us.

Ray

Jonboymentalhealth - 2015-02-04 7:02 PM

Yes that's the one, the bike rack is already fitted yes. Does anyone know the max weight a swift escape 2010 back wall can take, I was thinking of gazebo and chairs table, or when fishing fishing gear!

I just contacted Swift and they told me the maximum load.

Yes that's the one, the bike rack is already fitted yes. Does anyone know the max weight a swift escape 2010 back wall can take, I was thinking of gazebo and chairs table, or when fishing fishing gear!

Do Swift fit reinforcing wooden blocks into the rear wall ? for Bike racks to be fitted ? most do.

Bike racks usually have a 60kg weight limit. The Box will swallow all you state and more, but be careful to weigh it all. Ray

mack100 - 2015-02-05 8:47 PM

And ?? come on. spill the beans.

Rayjsj - 2015-02-05 9:16 PM

mack100 - 2015-02-05 8:47 PM

And ?? come on. spill the beans.

I think it's on paperwork in the MH in storage so can't get at it easily. Anyway the weight limits may be model specific.

Archived