Omnistor 3.8 Safari Room

gocro

We are finally reaping the rewards of retirement and are planning our first long trip away,for six weeks. we are aiming to spend at least two weeks on a single site in Blanes ,Costa Brava, We are looking to buy a Safari Room second hand, as many people seem to buy them and not use them. Soif you want to sell yours to us please send me a private message. Thanks

I had one of these safari rooms which came with a used MH we bought privately. The seller referred to it as the "Safari Park", so the name stuck. We put it up once on the drive to try it out but it was very fiddly and it stayed in storage until we sold the MH.

I understand that Omnistor now offer a more robust type of "room", presumably because the original safari rooms weren't terribly wind resistant. The corner and edge seams certainly didn't look like they would cope with any breeze.

We have a lightweight porch awning which slides into a groove in the Omnistor awning spar and that copes with wind and rain very well - and there are bigger ones, if you need more room. I suspect these are also a lot cheaper than the safari room type structure. They need pegging down which takes time but sliding in the pole(s) and slipping it into the Omnistor groove is easy enough. We also have a lilliput sun shade front and side to extend the shade provided by the Omnistor, for warmer climates.

We use all these things relatively rarely and they are barely worth their payload contribution, so I doubt we'd ever buy a safari room again.

I've always thought that see as I was dragging the roof (wind out) around that getting the room would be a good idea. I've since checked out the assembly method on YouTube and it's horrendous, the number of parts, the weight and the logistics of assembling it solo have now put me right off. I'm going for a porch awning now, even at 3.9 metres it's lighter than the Safari and at a really good price£100 so if it doesn't work out I'll at least get half of it back.

gocro - 2015-02-04 8:24 PM

I've since checked out the assembly method on YouTube and it's horrendous, the number of parts, the weight and the logistics of assembling it solo have now put me right off. I'm going for a porch awning now, even at 3.9 metres it's lighter than the Safari and at a really good price£100 so if it doesn't work out I'll at least get half of it back.

I think you've made the right decision.

Although we've never had a "Room"(Safari or Privacy), there's a reason why so many of them end up on the likes of ebay.

We used to use a simple(lightweight, cheap)"caravan porch" type awning on our previous MHs and it worked a treat. :-)

StuartO - 2015-02-04 9:29 AM

I had one of these safari rooms which came with a used MH we bought privately. The seller referred to it as the "Safari Park", so the name stuck. We put it up once on the drive to try it out but it was very fiddly and it stayed in storage until we sold the MH.

I understand that Omnistor now offer a more robust type of "room", presumably because the original safari rooms weren't terribly wind resistant. The corner and edge seams certainly didn't look like they would cope with any breeze.

We have a lightweight porch awning which slides into a groove in the Omnistor awning spar and that copes with wind and rain very well - and there are bigger ones, if you need more room. I suspect these are also a lot cheaper than the safari room type structure. They need pegging down which takes time but sliding in the pole(s) and slipping it into the Omnistor groove is easy enough. We also have a lilliput sun shade front and side to extend the shade provided by the Omnistor, for warmer climates.

We use all these things relatively rarely and they are barely worth their payload contribution, so I doubt we'd ever buy a safari room again.

Stuart

I know it is slightly off topic but could you answer this. You say you have an Omnistor awning as have we. Unlike the Fiamma awning, the channel on the spar sits inside the unit. Do you wind the awning out a bit first before you attach the lightweight porch awning and then wind it back in ? Does it make an effective seal /

Only reason I ask is that my wife keeps on about a standalone awning.

Alan

AlanS - 2015-02-04 8:38 PM

Unlike the Fiamma awning, the channel on the spar sits inside the unit. Do you wind the awning out a bit first before you attach the lightweight porch awning and then wind it back in ? Does it make an effective seal

I know it wasn't asked of me..but yes, that's what I used to do with our previous van.

Ours wouldn't fully latch shut (obviously)but I used to secure it closed with a pair of small luggage straps (one looped around either end).

Ours didn't chaff our awning because it was only the webbing portion of the awning that came into contact with the wind-out.

Stuart

I know it is slightly off topic but could you answer this. You say you have an Omnistor awning as have we. Unlike the Fiamma awning, the channel on the spar sits inside the unit. Do you wind the awning out a bit first before you attach the lightweight porch awning and then wind it back in ? Does it make an effective seal /

Alan

Our Omnistor awning spar has a groove whuich will take a roped edge but it does require the awning to be unrolled a little to get access to it - which helps to lower it into reach too. I then wind the Omnistor awning all the way back in with the top edge of the porch awning held in place. The position of our MH door means the porch awning has to overhang a bit but that doesn;t seem to matter.

StuartO - 2015-02-05 9:02 AM

Stuart

Alan

Our Omnistor awning spar has a groove whuich will take a roped edge but it does require the awning to be unrolled a little to get access to it - which helps to lower it into reach too. I then wind the Omnistor awning all the way back in with the top edge of the porch awning held in place. The position of our MH door means the porch awning has to overhang a bit but that doesn;t seem to matter.

Thanks for the information guys.

Alan

Archived