Toll cost on the AP-7 spain

trickydicky

I wouldn't venture much further up than that either if i was you. The AP-7 is notorious for roadside 'distraction' robberies.......often in broad daylight in full view of everyone.

Keep a camera ready for use when going through toll areas (a prime location). Robbing b*stards don't like having their photograph taken.

Keep all your windows shut, doors locked, tank up with fuel and stop for absolutely nobody.

Last used this route in January (and m,any times previously) there's no bandits, where did you get this info from? How are they going to rob you at the toll booths? they have to pay to get there and there's no where to hang around waiting for a 'mark' to turn up

Daily Mail perhaps?

Daily Mail or not I can confirm Bulletguy's comments about "Bandits" having been subjected to same last February on AP7. WE spent 3 hours at a Police Station.

Fortunately we have fluent Spanish Speaking friends who helped us out there, and confirmed that the Police informed them that that area was notorious for such thefts, the criminals often targetting UK registered caravans or Motorhomes.

Personally I have no objection to people maturely challenging or querying such a statement made by Bullethole but to do so in such an arrogant, sarcastic manner without the knowledge that others have is ignorant.

So if you are driving the AP7 you are wise to follow Bulletguys suggestions as to taking precautions (i wouldnt go as far as avoiding the route altogether) and ignore markh1's comments.

Mini rant overt

oh btw - our incident wasnt at a Toll Booth

Guest Had Enough

Markh1 was only voicing his own experiences, which was that during many trips he'd not come across any indication of 'bandits' and I've no idea how you infer arrogance and sarcasm in his response, although it's clear from the tone of both your replies that you're rather sensitive on this subject owing to your own experience. It's also clear that he hasn't seen any of the publicity regarding such crimes as there has been quite a lot, but that's his only 'crime' here and he obviously thought he was being factual.

However, Bulletguy's advice that the OP shouldn't travel this route at all is completely over the top and again, is heavily influenced by his own experience when he fell for a distraction robbery.

I've travelled this route without problem as have millions of other tourists over the years. Yes, there are a very small number of robbers who try to distract but by now I would have thought that we're all aware of this technique and should know that all we need to do is ignore them, ask our passenger (if we have one) to get out a camera or mobile phone and take pictures or pretend to be calling the police.

There's been so much publicity about this kind of trick that I would have thought that everyone would have been aware of it years ago.

Barcelona has pickpockets and thieves but it won't stop me visiting this or similar cities plagued by petty crime, I'll take obvious and simple precautions to protect myself.

The Telegraph article is 3 years old, I'm not ignorant, I've been travelling in Spain for over a decade and have never seen it on the toll roads or toll booths, which is what I was referring to. I know gullible tourists get robbed in lots of countries, my brother was robbed in Sicily in December because he stopped when a motorbike pulled up in front of him and they opened the passenger door and his girls bag was snatched - just lock your doors!

markh1 - 2015-02-04 11:32 AM

, my brother was robbed in Sicily in December because he stopped when a motorbike pulled up in front of him and they opened the passenger door and his girls bag was snatched - just lock your doors!

That happens in London too but 8.5m of us manage to survive.

Have a look again at markh's post. " Last used this route in January (and many times previously) THERE'S NO BANDITS" (my capitals)

Compare with sshort circuit: "Used the coastal route down last year and NOT ONCE DID I FEEL INTIMIDATED. " again my caps.

Sorry if you don't see the difference

There ARE bandits (thieves) and as it seems I was not the only one contributing to this thread to have been affected in the past I'm surprise that such a categoric statement like "there's no bandits" is made. Hence my view that the comment "there's no bandits" was arrogant

The Post wasn't through sensitivity but just to remind people- and our friends only last week emailed to say that thefts were still taking place on this stretch of road (January 2015) and to be vigilant- believer me I will!"

Of course like every piece of information what people do with it is up to them ;-)

And what has the Daily Mail to do with it all anyway??

Here we go off piste again.

We have used both routes and much prefer the AP7 as has been said previously the coastal route is a real pain in the butt. Going as it does through all the villages and it takes you into Valencia and you can get in a right pickle if you miss the junction for the A7. The roundabouts are horrendous.

Pay the toll it's well worth it. :D

It's true about missing the junction and ending up having to go through the centre of Valencia at rush hour, not for the faint hearted. One roundabout for instance is a free for all, six lanes and then the road markings disappear along with some direction signs makes for some very interesting manoeuvres. Fortunately we managed to head in the right direction. Trying to use a sat nav to navigate through the city is a definite no no. You only make a mistake like that once.

markh1 - 2015-02-04 9:09 AM

Last used this route in January (and many times previously) there's no bandits, where did you get this info from? How are they going to rob you at the toll booths? they have to pay to get there and there's no where to hang around waiting for a 'mark' to turn up

Daily Mail perhaps?

First hand experience actually (i don't read the Daily Sleaze anyway).

It's a well known and notorious area and they use all manner of techniques, the most common being 'distraction' at the roadside, It takes seconds and here is how it's done; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEs7_HSIADs What that clip doesn't show is the robbers car has reversed back as close up to the victims car as possible. The purpose of that is to give the one who is going into your vehicle less distance to run. When they pull you over you only see the driver and passenger.....the third person lies down on the back seat so you don't see him. On stopping both driver and passenger get out of their car giving you the impression the car is empty. After all....there was only two people in the car wasn't there?

Even the traffic slows down to allow them to make their getaway. Brilliant.

How do they rob at toll booths?

Simple.

One 'trick' is to use a sharpened screwdriver to put a slow puncture in one of your tyres. If you are very lucky you might spot them doing it, but these guys have been doing this for years so know all the dodges. Chances are you won't know anything until after exiting the toll booth and a few miles further down the Autopista you have a flat and pull over to change it. That's precisely where they turn up with the 'kind offer' to help you. How nice. So while two fit young guys help with your spare, you are being robbed without even knowing it.

As for these robbers 'having to pay to use toll booths'.....money is all it costs to go through a toll booth......and they've got plenty of that.

There have been threads on here other than my own experience.

Prime targets are 'solo' travellers as they are easier for obvious reasons but they have been known to tackle elderly couples. I made mistakes and i wasn't familiar with the notoriety of that particular stretch of road. If as you say, you travel it 'many times' then you should know. Just because you haven't experienced a robbery there yourself doesn't make it a far fetched fictional story. One day it may well happen to you.....and it will change your attitude forever.

In fact your complacency is precisely what they are looking for. You fit the bill perfectly.But at least now you know what to look out for where before it would appear you didn't.....despite travelling the AP7 'many times'.

You don't need to go all the way to Benicassim on the AP7. You use the AP7 To Valencia and pick up the A7 then the N340 north of Castellan.

Archived