Cruising down to the Canaries

lazarus

Hi I'm planning to cruise down to fuerteventura next November through France Spain and Portugal get ferry from Cadiz if anyone has any info on interesting places to stay on the way or any tips I would be be most grateful,I'm taking my dog as well thanks laz

Guest Had Enough
lazarus - 2015-02-04 11:07 AM

Hi I'm planning to cruise down to fuerteventura next November through France Spain and Portugal get ferry from Cadiz if anyone has any info on interesting places to stay on the way or any tips I would be be most grateful,I'm taking my dog as well thanks laz

We've no idea which route you're taking, how long you intend to make it last and what your interests are. If it were me the first thing I'd do is invest in a couple of good guide books.

http://goo.gl/BQKmXf

I'm sorry to have to say this but your request is along the lines of "I'm thinking of buying a car, can anyone recommend a good one?"

Pretty wide scope?

I should have been more specific,I have no time limit as I said I'm aiming to amble through France to Spain over to Portugal along the coast down to Cadiz, ferry to gran canaria then island hopping to fuerteventura never been to Portugal so poi would be good

We were in Gran Canaria last February and we're going again next month - in an aeorplane of course.

But I remember seeing haf a dozen or so MHs even in our little resort (Puerto Mogan) so there must be some motorhioming activity there. They were parked up informally at the inland end of the town on a car park or bit of spare ground, not clear which. Not exactly a glamorous stopping place by the look of it but less than a mile down to the harbour and beach.

I too have holidayed on Gran Canaria and have seen motor homes parked by the beach at 27.7560 -16.3365 on the GC500 road. It's hot and barren but there again so is most of the south of the Island.

You may also find that you could overnight at 27.8022 -15.6125, on good days there are nice views from here. The road only does a big loop to the North East and back along the valley towards Maspalomas but the scenery is quite nice.

I have no idea where you may find motor home service but there seemed to be some sort of camp site to the right of the GC500 as you leave Maspalomas traveling West. That was some over six years ago.

If you fancy a really good truly Canarian meal you should visit Martell's http://www.larutadelbuenyantar.com/martell.html

Antonio Martell loves to have English visitors although English speaking is a bit limited. The restaurant is in the North of the Island which has a very different flora to the South. Not a cheap place to eat though!

I've no connection with that establishment apart from having eaten there a number of times whilst holidaying with relatives who lived on the Island.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry for the late reply been in hospital, I've been all the canaries many times but mostly to fuerteventura and have seen motorhomes from many different countries if you go on google earth and look around the south near jandia there is a small " village" of motorhomes but you can camp anywhere there, I did look up the ferries and its a long trip about two days I think, one way is around £600but that's for an 8 metre van, they did start a ferry from North Africa which is only couple of hours,so I was going to drive down the coast to Al ayoune but it crashed on its maiden voyage never sailed again I had planned to do this trip in October 2010 but circumstances meant I wasn't able to go but hopefully I will be off this October I have no set plan just going on a little adventure.plus if you know your way round you can park up outside certain holiday complexes and use the facilities ie swimming pool showers washing machines and free wifi .

Sounds an interesting trip - something we've often pondered. You mention you've been to all of the Canary islands; not sure if that includes the smaller ones? I can recommend La Gomera and La Palma - completely different again to the big four. The only one we haven't been to is El Hierro, which is on our radar for the future.

Needless to say, we haven't taken the van - but, like others, we've seen plenty around. Spanish, German and Dutch have been the most popular registrations we've noted.

Good luck in any case.

Mike

Billggski - 2015-02-16 9:20 AM

An interesting concept, but does it make economic sense? Accommodation and car hire is so cheap over there you could leave your motorhome on the mainland and have a luxury holiday for the price of the ferry.

Not in the spirit I know, but much more flexible.

Have to agree with you, BUT he is taking a dog with him, never seen a dog in a hotel, myself

PJay

PJay - 2015-02-16 10:20 AM

Billggski - 2015-02-16 9:20 AM

An interesting concept, but does it make economic sense? Accommodation and car hire is so cheap over there you could leave your motorhome on the mainland and have a luxury holiday for the price of the ferry.

Not in the spirit I know, but much more flexible.

Have to agree with you, BUT he is taking a dog with him, never seen a dog in a hotel, myself

PJay

And how easy is it to take a dog on a plane to the Canaries - I don't know if it's possible or not with the carriers that go there.

Mike

I didn't mention flying there, the ferry is the regular link to the mainland, and it's surprising how many hotels allow dogs.

Off the peak season even villas are incredibly cheap, a huge over supply of accommodation.

The previous owner of my motorhome took it down to southern Spain, saw the prices and sold it to buy a house.

lazarus - 2015-02-20 10:23 AM

It's all about the travelling experience,I can jump on a plane anytime! And I'm buying a property on Fuerteventura after Xmas.

You may just be the person to ask. On my fly/drive holidays to the various islands I've noticed they have a different make of gas bottles to the mainland, are these as easy to acquire as on the mainland for m/hs?

Hi starvin, I'm not to sure on that one, awhile back I bought two connectors,one a uk fitting and one for continentental,which you screw on to your gas bottle,I fit the connector at the same time as I change bottles, I have two 13kgs, so when passing a lpg garage I can just fill up, I always fill up at garages despite what people say it's no different from filling an lpg car, if the continental fitting doesn't work in the canaries I know you can buy a couple of bottlesfrom a garage and adapt the connectors.AnywayI don't invisage using much gas as I intend to eat mostly salads in the hot ish winter sun!! I plan to leave my van out there and come back for Xmas then fly back out,I mean it would be churlish of me to not spend Xmas with her indoors!!

lazarus - 2015-02-22 1:55 PM

Hi starvin, I'm not to sure on that one, awhile back I bought two connectors,one a uk fitting and one for continentental,which you screw on to your gas bottle,I fit the connector at the same time as I change bottles, I have two 13kgs, so when passing a lpg garage I can just fill up, I always fill up at garages despite what people say it's no different from filling an lpg car, if the continental fitting doesn't work in the canaries I know you can buy a couple of bottlesfrom a garage and adapt the connectors.AnywayI don't invisage using much gas as I intend to eat mostly salads in the hot ish winter sun!! I plan to leave my van out there and come back for Xmas then fly back out,I mean it would be churlish of me to not spend Xmas with her indoors!!

My van is currently fitted with a Gaslow 13kg refillable plus a propane Repsol bottle so fully familiar with the routine.

However what you appear to be telling me is that it is your intention to refill your refillable bottle in the canaries. We've only been to Lanzarote & Tenerife and during our drives around I never saw a filling station selling refillable gas. What I did see was heaps of gas bottles, a completely different make and colour to either Repsol or Cepsa.

Another thing I saw were vans using one of these different cyclinders, stood on the ground linked by a long hose back into either the gas locker or via a BBQ point. Hence my question.

Flying into Tenerife yesterday I noticed several motorhomes dotted around the island. On the journey from the airport there were a few in various car parks and in other places where parking was free. This morning I discovered an aire on the eastern end of los cristianos beach with 15 or so places and a borne. 2 Brits were there. So it is feasible to spend time on Tenerife where parking is easy and plenty to do with glorious weather. 24 degrees today and now 20 degrees at 5.30.

lazarus - 2015-03-08 6:18 PM

Hi I'm looking at buying in correlejo

Corralejo sounds cool - the dunes and beaches outside town are stunning.

I think the six-months rule for the van applies to the country ie Spain, rather than individual islands. But don't quote me, it is only my best judgement. Not sure how strict the authorities are enforcing the rule?

Have a great trip in any case and good luck with the property purchase.

Mike

Archived