roundabout problems in UK with LHD van (or abroad in RHD van)

Tesseo 490

Guest Had Enough
Tesseo 490 - 2015-02-04 1:05 PM

Has anyone found a solution to the problem of roundabouts and Junctions when you are the blind side ie in the Uk in LHD van or RHD on the continent. Has anyone found a mirror configuration which gives you wide vision at a junction?.

It can be a huge problem and I've experienced it. The first time it happened I was turning right at a T junction. The road I was on joined the other road at sharp angle and I couldn't see anything out of my left hand window ( I was in a RHD vehicle).

I quickly learned that the only way to be certain of getting a proper view of oncoming traffic on your left is to try to remember to stop with your 'van at right angles to the road that you're joining, that way you can see clearly in both directions. This can create its own problem as drivers behind you may assume that you're turning left, despite what you're indicating!

You really need to concentrate as it's so easy just to follow the line of the road and find yourself in the predicament that I did.

Normally I travel with my wife and a passenger solves the problem but for sole travellers it can be dangerous. When it happened to me I couldn't reverse as there were cars behind me so I slowly pulled out only to be blasted by the horn of an HGV that was bearing down on me. I learned quickly after that.

I think that the only safe way for sole drivers would be a camera that's somehow mounted on the front left hand wing with a monitor in the cab. I've heard of this being done.

It's not usually a problem with cars as you can usually see through the rear side-windows but in a motorhome we haven't got that choice.

The one I've had a couple of near misses with is when motorways join and you're filtering left into a stream of faster traffic (abroad, RHD vehicle).

There IS a car-size blind spot between the normal and wide-angle mirrors however they are adjusted. 'Where the f*** did he come from..?'. It pays to get very active in the driver's seat and reduce the size of that blind spot by leaning well forward and back.

I've driven a LHD motorhome for years but we cope. On our presnt MH there is a windowless door immediately behind the passenger seat on the offside, so there is quite a blind spot and sometimes the angle of approach to a roundabout (or a junction) means you can't really see the oncoming traffic at all.

Our MH has no rear view but it does have a centrally mounted rear view mirror, so I can get some sort of view into the blind spot using that, looking through the passenger window - but it is far from ideal.

Mostly we are two up in the MH and I'm subjected to continuous instructions from the passenger seat whether I like it or not, so I just switch off selective hearing for a while and pay attention as she tells me when to proceed. If I'm on my own I try to anticipate by looking ahead for gaps in the traffic, so I can adjust speed of approach to flow into it, or stop at the threshold of the roundabout/junction at an angle which does give me a view of approaching traffic - much as the driver of a van has to do when traffic is approaching him from the blind side.

Would a specially positioned camera help? I suspect it would but you would probably need to fit a wide angle view camera and position it carefully. You might be able to mount it inside the MH looking rearwards into the blind spot, as long as it didn't block the view to the off side mirror.

The best solution I have found is a second rear view mirror mounted on the winscreen angled to look out the passenger window. A alternative to this might be rearview camera with side view but not tried that.

P.s. Should note that this is from using plain panel vans, our pvc is not too bad.

I agreewith most of the above replies. I would add that ensuring you are at 'right angles' to the junction works best for me. This is another area where using the hazard warning lights can be useful, I have mentioned using them at toll booths, I also, occasionally use them at awkward looking junctions. As I approach, if I think there might be a problem, I put them on and this, so far, has ensured other drivers back off a bit giving me room to approach at a better angle. I've only used it two or three times, but so far it has worked.

Colin

It's a while since I've been to Europe. When travelling with a passenger in Europe or the UK, I've never found it a problem except when I had an Arto with double glazed cab side windows - the reflections caused all sorts of issues.

In the UK, it can be a problem for me because I travel solo quite a bit. Getting the angle of approach is essential in these cases. Frank's [Had Enough] suggestion, used sensibly, works for me.

So no mirror solution from me.

T junctions have given me the most problems, I don't often travel solo when abroad but did have 2 or 3 horrendously close shaves last year. Mostly this was with my wife seeing me out, on at least one occasion, with me starting the manoeuvre before she was fully settled, still fiddling with her seat belt or map, and not realizing that I was moving. We settled this by my asking firmly was she ready.

On another occasion she couldn't get the words out quick enough through panic, sort of spluttering n-n-n-n-n-n-. I then asked her to only say loudly STOP, but next time still got the n-n-n-n-n-n-.

So I now don't move until I am absolutely certain that we have communication. It is so easy to go wrong, even when you're taking great care. I hadn't thought of a side camera, but not sure I could handle that.

It is a simple exercise to fit a small reversing type camera and has been done by many people. It is best to fit the camera outside, not in the van, otherwise you will not see much at night. Most reversing cameras are wide angle, 120 degrees, which is more than enough. I get by using a similar style to HE and angling the vehicle on the approach to the junction. Most HGV drivers are aware of the problem and if they see you inching out will give you space. Car drivers come in all shapes and sizes and experience so beware.

Tea Cup - 2015-02-04 4:29 PM I then asked her to only say loudly STOP, but next time still got the n-n-n-n-n-n-.

So I now don't move until I am absolutely certain that we have communication.

That reminds me of when I was a small kid,going out in the old Thames van with my Dad and Uncle..My Dad would be driving and uncle would be "..after this one....Whoa!..not this one..THIS one!..." (lol)

RHD but driving on right can be difficult at junctions. It depends on the layout, large roundabouts with multiple entrances to the left that may be as much as 150 degrees to drivers rear worst case. Still in over 100,000 miles on the 'wrong side' while there has been the odd bit of horn-blowing so far no contacts. Just don't move off too fast

This is a junction I had to negotiate when I had a spell driving buses when we first moved to Wales, a very oblique junction on to the A487, after doing that day after day anything else was a walk in the park, :D

915495330_JunctionnearAber.jpg.9dadcf4829b21b4b8b2307de0e357ccc.jpg

Joe90 - 2015-02-05 5:06 PMThis is a junction I had to negotiate when I had a spell driving buses when we first moved to Wales, a very oblique junction on to the A487, after doing that day after day anything else was a walk in the park, :D
That so reminds me of a steep inclined Y-junction, left turn, cars behind, handbrake cable snapped, when I was leaving Malvern!

Have only ever had a problem on a couple of occasions and like George says...just take your time and give yourself more room than you would normally. The worse problem is overtaking if you are solo, if there are two of you then pull out a little and just ask your partner if it's ok to pass, then remind them that if they get it wrong then they get it first, that works wonders :D

Dave

Has anyone found a solution to the problem of roundabouts and Junctions when you are the blind side ie in the Uk in LHD van or RHD on the continent. Has anyone found a mirror configuration which gives you wide vision at a junction?.

Put a L H Drive label on the rear in this country and on the continent reading the Reg Number should be sufficient for others to be wary of you similar to being aware of them over here.

Will

Yes, that should do it..........everyone can see your number plate from the side. :-S :-S :-S (!)

perhaps not seeing anyone at all sitting in the seat they fully expect to also see a steering wheel sharpens their concentration,

or have the missus holding a newspaper apparently reading it seems to confuse a few French folk. :D

Guest Had Enough
Will85 - 2015-02-05 7:46 PM

Put a L H Drive label on the rear in this country and on the continent reading the Reg Number should be sufficient for others to be wary of you similar to being aware of them over here.

Will

I would suggest that you start reading this thread from the beginning and try to understand why your suggestion has nothing to do with what's being discussed.

Sophie2 - 2015-02-05 5:20 PM

Stuck on the passenger side window? That's interesting-is the exact position on the window critical for best results? Thanks

It's a matter of trial and error - it's easy to try different positions as the lens peels off and reattaches easily.

Alan

Sophie2 - 2015-02-05 5:20 PM

Stuck on the passenger side window? That's interesting-is the exact position on the window critical for best results? Thanks

Is this about my post, or AliB's?

If mine, I have a suction fixing mirror to put on the windscreen of panel vans, it is placed just to left of standard rear view mirror and angled to view out the passenger window. I used this on my old windowless panel van, and also in any van I drive at work, with this I can see to get out of a junction such as in 'Joe90's pic.

Joe90 - 2015-02-05 8:29 PM  perhaps not seeing anyone at all sitting in the seat they fully expect to also see a steering wheel sharpens their concentration, or have the missus holding a newspaper apparently reading it seems to confuse a few French folk. :D[/quote

This sort of thing led to roadrage for us just short of Vierzon when a top of the range BMW swerved in front and brake tested us, perhaps thinking that my wife was not paying attention - or perhaps for someother reason (her being female?). Some time later where he was leaving the motorway I pulled alongside and glared at him, he just gave a Gaulic shrug.

Archived