Southern Germany

Billggski

We are off to the Dethleffs factory for a sponsored visit in May/June. It's near Ravensburg and the Austrian border, and we will then probably continue on into Italy.

Are there any particular sights to visit? Or good sites to stay? Anyone seen mad King Ludwig's castles?

Ravensburg itself is a beautiful place, infact the whole area around there is great. You can visit the Dornier Museum at Friedrichshafen Airport.

At the airport there is a huge 2 day classic car show there over the weekend 13th & 14th of June. My son and myself are taking my TR6. There will be a hall designated to Porsche and according to the organisers some Porsche prototypes that have never been seen before.

Also there is the Zeppelin Museum down at the harbour at Friedrichshafen and for a fee you can go up in one of the newer one's which takes you over a large part of the upper Lake Constance and surrounding Germany.

Meersburg and Lindau are very nice and from Meersburg you can get a ferry over to Konstance (20 min) which has a nice Altstadt.

Neuschwanstein (New Swan in Stone) is well worth a visit....but get there as early as possible....it gets packed.

Dave

Yes we're going to Dethleffs too, so see you there. The Romantische Strasse, lots of info on the internet, its a nice route to get to Dethleffs with plenty of medieval towns mostly with good Stellplatze.. Rothenburg obTauber is especially interesting.

King Ludwig castle at Neuschwanstein is interesting to visit, recommend reserving your tickets on line before you get there. Queues are big and tours are restricted in size but they do have English tours.

Sounds like we're in for a good weekend

Don't know if you're like me and into castle's Bill or which way you are traveling. South of Stuttgart there is the Burg Hohenzollern which is very impressive, but the one at Singen, Hohentwiel Castle is the largest ruin castle in Germany (or so I believe). If you visit this one you need to be fairly fit, it is definitely not for people with health issues, it's one of the most impressive ruined castles I've ever visited although it took me about 15 minutes to recover when we reached the top, slow and steady is the way up (bit like making love and just as tiring) :-D ;-)

Dave

This might be a good route if you have the time. Metz in northern France; outstanding city with one of the largest number of heritage buildings in France. The gothic cathedral is magnificent. There is a nice Municipal Campground by the river less than 10min (on foot) from town.

Heidelberg is another great place to stop and look around. There is Camping Neckartal right on the river with the bus to town just outside the gate.

Rothenburg is just brilliant and the Stellplatz is just across the road from the southern entrance to the old town. Beware the terminal doesn't accept Visa or MasterCard, just the EC card or 1Euro coins. Get a spot closer to electrical terminals or you'll be tripping over power cables.

If Neuschwanstein is a little out of your way (the 2 Stellplatz at Fussen can be crowded and a bit like a carpark and the nearest ACSI is at Reutte across the Austrian border) you might try Chiemsee. There is nice little Stellplatz by one of the small marinas on Harrasser Str just 1km from the ferry terminal that takes you to the lake island Herreninsel where you will find Ludwig II's 'other' castle. The whole island is a homage to Versailles in a quite different setting. The place is outstanding and the replica Hall of Mirrors is, I thought, better than Versailles.

Well hope that helps. Have a great trip and stay safe.

I'd better start writing these down and planning a route. I've tended to stick to France and Italy in the past, but my infrequent visits to Northern Europe remind me of how amazing the towns and countryside can be. When my wife worked in Budapest in the late 80's we visited a lot of Eastern Europe as it slowly changed.

It was standing on Budapest station and seeing trains to Madrid, Moscow, Milan, and Warsaw all waiting to leave that I realised how small Europe really is. Americans and Australians just laugh at our travels when they can go 300 miles to the supermarket and back.

Archived