Aire de service guides

A W

Most of us know that there are several guide books on the market which cover the whole of France. New to me is a series of 3 guides which each cover a specic region.Those are Brittany,the whole of the Atlantic coast(exc Brittany) and the mountain regions. I have seen one of these guides and their text is very descriptive with good plans,also shown are the exact co ordinates for use with satnav. More details in english are at www.trailers-park.fr Come on us Brits lets see a lot more GB plates at the aires!!

[QUOTE]Norma - 2006-10-09 1:28 PM Sorry, but I like going to aires that don't have lots of GB plates![/QUOTE] Norma I wonder why - could it be that, like me, you get really embarassed and annoyed with the number of GB plated motorhomes that leave their waste water taps open(?) I have witnessed this on a number of occassions, particularly around the north of France and have NEVER seen any other nationality partake of this disgusting, lazy, dirty habit. What is wrong with these people (?) (?) >:-( >:-(

[QUOTE]robin - 2006-10-09 3:34 PM [QUOTE]Norma - 2006-10-09 1:28 PM Sorry, but I like going to aires that don't have lots of GB plates![/QUOTE] Norma I wonder why - could it be that, like me, you get really embarassed and annoyed with the number of GB plated motorhomes that leave their waste water taps open(?) I have witnessed this on a number of occassions, particularly around the north of France and have NEVER seen any other nationality partake of this disgusting, lazy, dirty habit. What is wrong with these people (?) (?) >:-( >:-([/QUOTE] Robin, It happens a lot right across Europe and it's not only the Brits, It's all nationalities who do it. It seems to be common practise these days. I've knocked on many a van door and politely pointed out that they have a leak. It mostly falls on deaf ears. At the motorhome shows in this country many people run a hose under their van and let their waste water run away. It 's usually the larger vans with enough capacity in ther waste tanks to get them selves to a dump station anyway. They don't give thought for the next user of that piece of grass/land. It's unbelievable the excuses they come up with, there's a water shortage, it will soon drain away, it will do the grass good. Most of the time there just to lazy to empty their tanks. Rant Over. Don

:'( When we were parked for some time in Altea near Benidorm. There was a Brit and his wife who used to come on a regular basis in his clapped out old non-MOT (probably), certainly no Tax disc (Insurance?) Transit. He stayed only for one day. He would leave enough rubbish for any normal family of 6 for 3 weeks. 8-) Maybe not quite that much? But you get the idea? 8o|

[QUOTE]Don Madge - 2006-10-09 5:32 PM [QUOTE]robin - 2006-10-09 3:34 PM [QUOTE]Norma - 2006-10-09 1:28 PM Sorry, but I like going to aires that don't have lots of GB plates![/QUOTE] Norma I wonder why - could it be that, like me, you get really embarassed and annoyed with the number of GB plated motorhomes that leave their waste water taps open(?) I have witnessed this on a number of occassions, particularly around the north of France and have NEVER seen any other nationality partake of this disgusting, lazy, dirty habit. What is wrong with these people (?) (?) >:-( >:-([/QUOTE] Robin, It happens a lot right across Europe and it's not only the Brits, It's all nationalities who do it. It seems to be common practise these days. Don[/QUOTE] Don, I have never seen anyone but Brits in France. Maybe that is because they do it on tarmac where it is obvious, and others are a bit more subtle. BTW, the worst example I have seen was at the Brownhills overnight area at Newark - eughh!! In case anyone is interested, I have never had any problem finding a designated emptying point, I usually empty every day (as I don't want to carry unecessary weight around), I can last up to 3 days and nights before the tank is full (100 litres). I also carry a 10m extension hose for the very rare occassion when I can't get the 'van near enough (e.g. on many UK campsites) - this is the wider diameter hose that is used to couple up caravan wastes to their outboard tanks. Failing this, I could always empty with a bucket. (lol)

Hi Olley I know what you mean - I saw the first half hour of the Robin Williams "RV" film the other day and he was trying to empty the black waste tank by connecting hoses, needless to say it didn't go smoothly and the sh*t really did hit the fan, windows, panels, floor, including Mr W himself. As for aires, stellplatz etc guides - we were at the York show where we signed up with one of the trade stands, who were selling various aires books, so that when the 2007 aires books are published they'll drop us an email to see if we want to buy any, although we are not obliged to do so of course. The company was Vicarious Books (www.vicariousbooks.co.uk). Mel B :-)

Hi all Hi Mel B shame you did not identify yourself at the show, it would have been our pleasure to have knowingly met you, you being a celebrity poster on this forum. Vicarious books will be putting an auto log thingy on the website to store email addresses for anyone who wants to be notified when the aires guides come in. The only thing is the web designer is snowed under at the moment so we are not sure how soon. You may by all means send an email in the mean time to register your interest. Another option is to see them at the NEC next week, hall 2 main entrance between MMM and Practical Motorhome, they are running a wickedly testing 2 minute challenge to see how knowledgeable you are. They will mark it whilst you are there then put your slip in the free prize draw and of course email you when new products come in. For anyone who gets 8 out of 10 or more questions correct will get an exclusive, highly regarded, no expense spared sticker telling the world that you passed the Go Motorhoming brain twisting test. We will be there and would love to meet as many of you as possible please tell us your forum name to give us a chance. Two minuets is all it takes! The Authors

I kicked this thread off and since then the response has been interesting although the discussion is now going around in circles! One of my points is that aires are not used too much by Brits.The reason why escapes me.In my biased opinion if you are not willing to use aires then buy a caravan. This weekend for instance we are using an aire on a quay overlooking a beautiful bay.It doesn't get better than that in my view. The blue touch paper has been lite

[QUOTE]Go Motorhoming - 2006-10-12 10:12 AM Hi all Hi Mel B shame you did not identify yourself at the show, it would have been our pleasure to have knowingly met you, you being a celebrity poster on this forum. Vicarious books will be putting an auto log thingy on the website to store email addresses for anyone who wants to be notified when the aires guides come in. The only thing is the web designer is snowed under at the moment so we are not sure how soon. You may by all means send an email in the mean time to register your interest. Another option is to see them at the NEC next week, hall 2 main entrance between MMM and Practical Motorhome, they are running a wickedly testing 2 minute challenge to see how knowledgeable you are. They will mark it whilst you are there then put your slip in the free prize draw and of course email you when new products come in. For anyone who gets 8 out of 10 or more questions correct will get an exclusive, highly regarded, no expense spared sticker telling the world that you passed the Go Motorhoming brain twisting test. We will be there and would love to meet as many of you as possible please tell us your forum name to give us a chance. Two minuets is all it takes! The Authors [/QUOT BOUGHT this book of aires from them online, change to see one written in English, and able to understand. Thank you.

[QUOTE]A W - 2006-10-12 6:31 PM I kicked this thread off and since then the response has been interesting although the discussion is now going around in circles! One of my points is that aires are not used too much by Brits.The reason why escapes me.In my biased opinion if you are not willing to use aires then buy a caravan. This weekend for instance we are using an aire on a quay overlooking a beautiful bay.It doesn't get better than that in my view. The blue touch paper has been lite [/QUOTE] I agree with you AW. We use French aires all the time, the one night we stayed on a campsite last summer (Digoin), I immediately regretted it, feeling claustrophobic and constrained. There was a much longer walk into town than if we had saved our 12 Euros or so and stayed on the free Aire. However, I would make a few general points: 1. On a campsite you are guaranteed space, whereas on an Aire you can find yourself surrounded, especially during high season. 2. Aires are mostly designed for overnight stops - i.e. arrive in the evening depart in the morning - campsites are designed for longer term staying - However, aires do vary enormously, from a corner of a carpark in a town centre to a dedicated area in a tourist spot, with lots of space (Fontaine de Vaucluse is a good example of the latter). 3. Brits are used to the campsite lifestyle (there is not really much option in this country), British bulit vans tend to be designed with this in mind. Just some food for thought. (lol)

Hi only ever stayed in a M/W aires, otherwise its always campsites, I think robin is right in this country it's normal to go to a campsite, anything else seems strange. And with children, going peak season you need to be sure of where your going and what your getting. Now the last one has flown the nest (gone to uni) we will hopefully have more time to meander about and explore. Olley

[QUOTE]robin - 2006-10-13 8:34 AM ..............We use French aires all the time, the one night we stayed on a campsite last summer (Digoin), I immediately regretted it, feeling claustrophobic and constrained. (lol)[/QUOTE] Robin Digoin.........a lovely little town. If you want to stay there again don't overnight on the aire where the borne is situated. Just use it for dumping etc. Overnight 400m upstream on the river bank. Walk across the carpark and you're in the town centre. Gillian

Archived