MOT and catalytic converters

StuartO

New MOT rules require the Tester to check all vehicles registered after Feb 2006 (almost all of which should have had catalytic converters) to ensure that only those which were manufactured without a cat have a non-cat exhaust.

I had to replace the front pipe on my MH, registered 1/3/2006 but built late 2005, so I was wondering how I would get on at the MOT. The Tester explained that they can tell whether an engine should have a cat exhaust, so I didn't have to do anything special to prove it never had one.

Apparently you cannot install a cat exhaust on to a non-cat vehicle either - not that you would sensibly want to. A replacement front pipe, without cat, cost me £50. Exactly the same pipe but with a cat built itno it would have cost over £1,200, plus VAT!

There are increasing indications that older MHs like mine will be either banned from or costly to take into many cities (eg the London Emission Zone, £200 per day!) but in all other respects it seems to be better, or at least cheaper, to hang on to your old MH. Road tax for MHs over 3,500kg seems to ignore being green too.

Ours also reg 1/3/06, due MOT later this month. Have not had to replace exhaust yet. What mileage is your Stuart? Or maybe yours is not a Fiat? We always have a service at the same time, so the garage (Fiat) phone and let us know if there is a problem

PJay

StuartO - 2015-02-06 2:26 PM

New MOT rules require the Tester to check all vehicles registered after Feb 2006 (almost all of which should have had catalytic converters) to ensure that only those which were manufactured without a cat have a non-cat exhaust...

Are you certain about the “...registered after Feb 2006...” regulation?

This issue came up last month

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Fiat-Ducato-X240-2005-06-Catalitic-Converter/37091/

If there is a regulation that defines a February 2006 registration deadline, can you provide a reference to it, please?

Archived