Strange "Fishy" electrical smell

oldwatsonian

We have a 2005 Autotrail Scout motorhome. A while ago we noticed a fishy electrical smell and we cannot trace where it is coming from.

We have turned everything off and gradually back on again to try to find the cause. It appears to happen now when the charger is turned on when on hook up. Could this be the regulator/charger at fault. It has not affected the charging capabilities as the batteries are topped up.

Any views would be gratefully accepted

Paul T

We had a "fishy" smell in the study at home for months and could never find the source, my sister spotted it in minutes when she visited. The ceiling light fitting was getting very hot and was brown in places from the heat, Many hard plastic materials give off a similar smell when heated beyond their intended use.

Paul,

What is the voltage of the leisure battery whilst the charger is turned on? You should be able to read this from the control panel.

And have you checked the water level in your leisure battery lately? If not it may be advisable to, assuming of course that it is not sealed for life.

Be vary careful around the battery as the gas given off is Hydrogen which is highly explosive.

Keith.

A fishy smell.indicates a loose electrical connection it has most likely been overload or water damage

I would start by lifting the consumer unit cover off and look for burnt wires and damaged bakerlite.

If all.is ok there lift all the electrical sockets and switches off one by one it could even be at the rear of your hook up socket. You could look at the pins on the hook up lead for signs of discolouration.

Alf

Its the classic smell of PVC wiring insulation being slow cooked. The most common domestic place is the drop cable from a ceiling rose due to wire operating near its current limit and the hot air rising from the bulb.

There are not many ceiling drops in motorcaravans but check all the fuse holders for charring as poor contact here with cheap fuses can result in hot insulation as well.

oldwatsonian - 2015-02-06 5:35 PM

We have a 2005 Autotrail Scout motorhome. A while ago we noticed a fishy electrical smell and we cannot trace where it is coming from.

We have turned everything off and gradually back on again to try to find the cause. It appears to happen now when the charger is turned on when on hook up. Could this be the regulator/charger at fault. It has not affected the charging capabilities as the batteries are topped up.

Any views would be gratefully accepted

Paul T

We had this at home once. When switching the kettle on in the kitchen we got the smell in another room and traced it to a dodgy connection in one of the sockets which I could feel was getting warm. As soon as the kettle boiled and the kettle switched off the smell dissipated.

The high power draw of the kettle sought out a weak point on the ring main which was the dodgy connection behind the socket in the living room. Dismantled it all and the scorching of the insulation on the wires was plain to see. So I concur with it being a problem with wiring a connection. I just mention this because you might find it's not where you might expect it to be .

I re-cut the cables slightly to get rid of the scorched insulation and re tightened it and its been fine since.

Let me say it again, the smell will originate from the hard plastic (phenolic resin ) that forms the connection terminals that the wiring is screwed into, not he wiring itself. Scorched cables may point to the problem, but in themselves are not the problem, you have to look at all the points were the end terminals are, fuse box, isolation trips, sockets, switches, charger, The heat generated by a loose connection will heat up causing the resin to gas off phenol which is the fishy smell. If it is ignored then the heat may build up and then the vinyl in the cables could ignite, Then again the source may be in the internal components in you ancillaries as circuit boards are sometimes made of glass reinforced phenolic resins.

gocro - 2015-02-09 9:42 AM

Let me say it again, the smell will originate from the hard plastic (phenolic resin ) that forms the connection terminals that the wiring is screwed into, not he wiring itself. Scorched cables may point to the problem, but in themselves are not the problem, you have to look at all the points were the end terminals are, fuse box, isolation trips, sockets, switches, charger, The heat generated by a loose connection will heat up causing the resin to gas off phenol which is the fishy smell. If it is ignored then the heat may build up and then the vinyl in the cables could ignite, Then again the source may be in the internal components in you ancillaries as circuit boards are sometimes made of glass reinforced phenolic resins.

Just be clear that I wasn't saying the scorched insulation was necessarily the source of the smell. Just that it was this that lead me to locate the location of the dodgy connection.

Archived