When is a van not a van?

mom

I just had a fun conversation with Norfolk Line.  While booking a ferry on the internet, and answering the "vehicle type" box, I hesitated over the definitions available.  I initially chose motorhome, although ours is a little VW campervan, and it forced me into the 7 metre length category to a total cost of £153.  I tried again, choosing "car" which was defined as length up to 5 metres and height up to 2.4 metres - the perfect measurement for my little campervan.  The total cost was £73.  So I thought I'd give them a call to clarify. 

I was told that my van was a motorhome not a car, and that was final.  "But it fits perfectly the dimensions of a car on your website", I exclaimed!  "But it's not a car", she retorted!  I knew I couldn't win, but, in for a penny, in for a pound... "You should have an additional category for "campervan" I said, "or at least a statement to clarify it."  She responded abruptly that I am apparently the only person in the UK that can't work all this out for myself, or words to that effect!  What happened to that "friendly smile" we should expect from the service industry?

Anyway, it was worth a try, but I must admit, our Bruce takes up no more effective space than a car on these ferries, meets Norfolk Line's dimensions of a car, requires no extra effort to drive on or position.  Perhaps weight is the issue?  But £80 worth?  I think not!

I had a look at Seafrance and Speedferries.  They are £50 cheaper, and one describes Bruce as a "high vehicle".  Guess who I won't be sailing with again!

Hi mom It's all just too difficult for these companies to work out. Common sense says that if you set your prices based on the maximum overall length/height/width of a vehicle then it really shouldn't matter what name you give it - if it fits the category then that's what you should pay. But hey, if you're the only person in the country who is going to go somewhere else rather than pay double for the privilege of travelling with Norfolk Line why should they worry that their pricing policy is a farce? Personally I think they really don't give a d*** about the customers too much as long as the money keeps coming in. Whoever you go with have a great break. Regards, david

Don't quite know what's happening with Norfolkline. Last winter I was able to book a crossing for £19.00 each way. Now I realise that price wasn't sustainable, but they now seem to have gone in completely the opposite direction. I found the cheapest outbound crossing was with P&O, not booked the return yet. Norfolkline seemed to be making a big play for "Leisure travel Business", ran a substantial advertising campaign in all the mags. Then promptly priced themselves out of the market! Well my market anyhow. They must know that people will shop around. I just hope that having substanially increased thir prices dosen't encouraged the other to do the same. regards Herman

Archived